No announcement yet.

Why have modern fighters not evolved to be better than SRR

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    Why with modern sports science, nutrition and modern training equipment etc. have modern/today's fighters not evolved to be greater fighters/boxer than Sugar Ray Robinson. It is 65-70yrs since Sugar Ray Robinson ruled the boxing world, yet we have not seen a fighter come close to matching his greatness or his incredible ability. But before Sugar Ray Robinson, we had great fighters like Willie Pep, Henry Armstrong, Harry Grebb who some historians even claimed could have been on a par with Robinson.
    You don't think Ali and Leonard came close to his overall ability? Cmon now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Anyone else find it interesting that Shane Mosley wants to bring in to camp Roberto Duran? Obviously a little late for Shane to utilize in the ring BUT he can learn alot for future generations if he decides to become a trainer. Duran is the last bridge to the great Ray Arcel who was a great trainer long before he trained Duran!
      I don't know if Duran has the patience and temparementt to be a good trainer, but if he does I'd love to see him pursue it seriously. He is the only one that can pass on what Arcel and Freddie Brown showed him before that knowledge is lost forever.

He could potentially have a successful second career if he opened up a gym out west and started working with Hispanic boxers. The language barrier would be less of an issue there.

Comment

• ....."Obviously a little late for Shane to utilize in the ring BUT he can learn a lot for future generations"..............

......."he" meaning Shane to pass on what he can get from Duran, Duran is to old to start from the beginning. Owning a gym is a life style not a job!
        Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          You phrased the question right.

To answer in terms of evolution, natural selection takes place over many generations, unless you are a fruit fly. Let each fight in a career stand for a generation, for in each fight a slightly new fighter comes out. Robinson was the last super talent to evolve over so many generations. Super talent means he was already a superior specimen before he ever saw boxing gloves.
          Fighters come along every generation...not lifetime.....greb,pep,Robinson,Ali,Leonard,Duran,C havez,Lewis,pacquaio,mayweather all had God given talents and out of those fighters no one was superior ...records are meant to be broken and that's why 50 years ago the 100 metres was run in 10 seconds and now it's 9.6 secs.....I don't agree robsinson was greatest boxer that's ever set foot in a ring....it's just what he achieved with his career that's makes him the greatest as resumes go that's the difference and old timers just have to get use to the fact that evolution takes place and humans evolve and become better.....natural law has always been the case
          Last edited by The plunger man; 04-18-2016, 07:44 PM.
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            You don't think Ali and Leonard came close to his overall ability? Cmon now.
            Ability wise Leonard and Ali matched Robinson ....100 percent...there records didn't because it was a different era....but if skills were compared and logged into some sort of computer Leonard would equally match up to Robinson....respect for the older generation for sure but I don't follow that a fighter is some sort of superman head and shoulders above everybody else who has ever lived ....same as pele...maradona or messi are equally as skilled ...Nicklaus and then there was tiger woods....the list go's on

Comment

• Lie post its been way more advanced fighters since 70s ray and that whole era looks horrible compared

did ray move as good as conteh/benitez who gave leonard trouble who was a flashy type like floyd not exact style but flashy still but not as advanced or did he have the advances as lopez/ Buchanan

​these are all 1970s fighter and were all more advanced then ray and people became even more advanced in 80s-90s doing stuff they didn't do in 40s so this is a like 50 years of advances in movements

Only crazy idiots who don't watch say he was more skilled then people who he wasnt his whole era looks horrible as I said looks amateurish
              Last edited by Ascended; 11-12-2022, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by moneytheman View Post
                Lie post its been way more advanced fighters since 70s ray and that whole era looks horrible compared

did ray move as good as conteh/benitez who gave leonard trouble who was a flashy type like floyd not exact style but flashy still but not as advanced or did he have the advances as lopez/ Buchanan

​these are all 1970s fighter and were all more advanced then ray and people became even more advanced in 80s-90s doing stuff they didn't do in 40s so this is a like 50 years of advances in movements

Only crazy idiots who don't watch say he was more skilled then people who he wasnt his whole era looks horrible as I said looks amateurish
                can't argue with proof like that . . . "doing stuff"

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

can't argue with proof like that . . . "doing stuff"
                  ... ....
                  billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by moneytheman View Post
                    Lie post its been way more advanced fighters since 70s ray and that whole era looks horrible compared

- - Since I'm older than U and have more years being more advanced than the deceased who preceeded me, stands to reason I be infinitely more advanced than U pink Cotton Candy.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

... ....
                      Poor Moneyman... The guy talks out of his a s s so badly that when he burps he farts.

Comment

Working...
                      X