Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you discuss Boxing with 'casual' fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

casual fans of any sport pretty much suck.

Comment

I just drop the knowledge on them.

Then I'm known as the boxing guy who every one looks to when it comes to all things boxing.

Comment

You don't. There are few things more ******ed than the casual boxing fan

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Whenever I'm talking to someone and the subject of boxing comes up my ears tend to perk, but I try keep it simple at first. I might mention someone well known to them like Khan, Haye, Pac, Mayweather just to get a feel for how much they know. If they start digging deeper and mention names like Donaire then I take it from there. I always find it funny because when I meet another hardcore boxing fan and strike up the conversation I realise we had both been trying to suss each other out. I imagine it's how gay people feel trying to figure each other out while being too afraid to say it outright.

My Dad is probably the definition of casual. He mainly watches it because I do. During the Olympics he was convinced only the winning boxer raises their hand after the fight. He couldn't understand why both guys would raise their hands. I tries to explain they do that just to sway the crowd ad big themselves up, he proceeded to tell me how I was wrong because he'd been watching boxing during the Olympics while I was down at the pub. Also he keeps wondering why boxers don't just walk toward each other and batter each other non-stop.

I know of no other sport were people who hardly ever watch it try pretend they know a lot about it. Even when they know they're talking to a die hard boxing fan who has an encyclopaedia worth of knowledge in his brain, they'll still insist to you that they know more than you. Even my mom has an opinion on how Ali would beat Wlad. She's never even watched Ali fight.
          Last edited by croz; 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM.

Comment

with an air of condescension.

Comment

Working...
            X