Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Juan Manuel Marquez retires this year, how will you remember him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Above all, Mannys Papi.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      I could never figure out why Marquez went life and death with Diaz (1st fight), Cassamayor and Katsidis though, but clearly beat Pac in the 3rd fight.

I know styles make fights, but all and all, I think Marquez was just a weird fighter. Meaning guys he should blow out the water end up being competitive and guys that should blow him out of the water (i.e Pac-JMM 3), he ends up really winning.

marquez needed his legs against ring shrinkers and swarmers in diaz and katsidis. they weren't there because of his age. it forced him into a gunfight. by the end of those fights they were very much one sided as well. both guys hurt him badly early in the fight.

and casamayor wakes up in the morning thinking about how to make his opponent look bad.

pacquiao tried to box against marquez. he really didnt turn up the heat. marquez was able to pick him apart and play the counterpuncher. a bit more like the second diaz fight. he finished the fight and stayed strong, though, did pacquiao, whereas when diaz and katsidis hurt marquez and wore him down some they did it at too great a cost and they could not finish the fight.

marquez ended up overwhelming them because of the risks they had been taking.

Comment

Marquez will be remembered as a great fighter, one of the best mexicans ever I would say. Katsidis is an amazing warrior, Juan Díaz was undisputed lightweight champion and Casamayor another great fighter, olympic gold medalist and world champion in two weights.

I´m going to bed because I´m tired of your absolut disrespect for the great boxers of this era, all YDNSAB

Comment

Perserverance for sure. There have been a lot of setbacks, missed opportunities, bad management decisions, etc. He started well behind his other two contemporaries in Barrera and Morales as far as hype, fans and exposure but he has outlasted and vaulted past them in many ways.

IMO, the toughest battle of JMM career has been to FINALLY reach this level of notoriety and respect within the boxing community and Mexicans in general and be considered amongst the BEST in the sport. Not the best Mexican, but amongst the best P4P. He mentions this constantly, he's even been a little bitter about it in the past...but I am sure it's been a source of motivation.

He is one of the last guys out there who I have followed almost his whole career outside of his first 9-10 fights. Seen him fight a couple of times in person when I was like 14 he was coming up on the old KCAL 9 fights that were only televised in southern CA, as far as I know. I can still seeing him throw this uppercut KO he on one of those cards, picture perfect....delayed reaction KO and the guy was out. It's like he never missed when he decided to throw (which wasn't often at those times lol).

His fights weren't always barn burners, his skill was too good to risk fighting, AND it looked like he was going to fall off into oblivion after blowing his opportunity against Norwood. But he slowly worked his way back.

The announcement of Pac/JMM 1 was HUGE to me, a true super fight as far I was concerned....seeing him lying on the canvas 3 times in the first round was one of the lowest points I've ever been as a fan in boxing lol. To go from THAT to getting a draw, to losing to John, to where he is today is amazing. It's one of the biggest payoffs to me as a his fan to see all the respect he gets from all u other fellow fans.

He even got a stab at the P4P guy and we got a boxing purists fight with Mayweather....who ever thought that fight would be made??
          Yeah, size (among other things) was a factor but it was still awesome to see those two match up. Also awesome to see him and Barrera finally get in there too (I won't opine on the scores of that fight).

After watching him for like 15ys I'm completely satisfied as a fan and it was worth all the time or money I spent to see him....but without that Pac victory I don't know if he ever will be

Comment

As a glass chinned, piss drinking, elephant man looking crybaby

Barrera and Morales both blow him out of the water legacy wise and he doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Chavez Sr or Manny Pacquiao
            Last edited by Check_hooks; 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
              Above all, Mannys Papi.
              if thats what u call it

then

his son(pacquiao) sent his arse to the canvass 4 times total
              gave him trouble 3 times
              and messed up his face in the third fight

im more impressed with the son than the dad if u ask me

Comment

Comment

ill remember him as a good safe counter punching fighter who wasted his talent facing inexperience brawlers and come forward taxi cab drivers

lost againts similar safety first counter punchers
                  and troubled by a one dimensional aggressive fighter which is suppose to be tailor made for his style

he deserve credit for surviving with pac and that is all to it

wasted talent fighting coming forward bums
                  but thats not how d!ckriders see it though

Comment

Will always remember him as a man with great courage and determination. He has given us some really exciting fights in his career. You just have to think if he weren't in the same age as Barerra and Morales how big he would've been in Mexico. Even though he is an excellent technician, he is never afraid to mix it up and go toe-to-toe and that's what makes him exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                      As a glass chinned, piss drinking, elephant man looking crybaby

Barrera and Morales both blow him out of the water legacy wise and he doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Chavez Sr or Manny Pacquiao
                      Originally posted by UmissUpay View Post
                      if thats what u call it

then

his son(pacquiao) sent his arse to the canvass 4 times total
                      gave him trouble 3 times
                      and messed up his face in the third fight

im more impressed with the son than the dad if u ask me
                      Originally posted by Elie View Post

they say ******s run in a crowd

Comment

Working...
                      X