Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the animosity against Undefeated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I could probably give Jones a tough fight, probably the best fight he's ever had," said Calzaghe. "But I know my capabilities and unless I got paid the crown jewels I wouldn't want to risk it."

Basically, Im not good enough, and if Im going to lose I at least want paid.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
      Only people who lack boxing IQ point to age as a defining factor.

How old was Vargas when he was shot? How old was Hopkins still fighting at an elite level. It's not age, it never has been.
      So what exactly are you saying Mr Boxing IQ? That Roy Jones wasnt worth a damn past age 33? Well thats another feather in Joe's cap as he was good before during and after that age.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
        So what exactly are you saying Mr Boxing IQ? That Roy Jones wasnt worth a damn past age 33? Well thats another feather in Joe's cap as he was good before during and after that age.
        Yeah that's what I'm saying

lol wow.

50 Bucks he just looked up how old Vargas was

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
          As far back as we have a history of fighters, fans always hate and look to discredit those who consistently win and do so easily. There's nothing fans hate more than a guy that makes it look easy.

Joe Lewis - "Fights the bum of the month!"
          Marciano - "Only fought old guys!"
          Ali - "Division is shamefully weak!" (Yes, thats what people said at the time)
          Julio Ceaser Chavez - "Cab drivers!"
          Larry Holmes - "Division is weak!"
          Tyson during undefeated run - "Division is weak!"
          Calzaghe - "Only fights old guys!"
          Wladimir Klitschko - "Division is weak!"
          Lennox Lewis - "No chin! No heart!"

There has never been a champion that went undefeated for an extended period that got any credit at the time outside of maybe Sugar Ray Robinson. If a guy is winning easily, people will say "When is he going to fight someone good?" regardless of the competition.

Case in point; look at Manny Pacquiao. He went from being the rags-to-riches darling of boxing fans in 2009 to one of the most disliked boxers in this site by 2011. Why? He kept winning wide UDs.
          That is not the reason at all. The reason people hate Pacquiao is because 98% of his fan base is in it for nationalistic reasons. It would be like if America made the world cup semis and came to every soccer forum to tell lifelong fans how Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan were co-GOATs...

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            As far back as we have a history of fighters, fans always hate and look to discredit those who consistently win and do so easily. There's nothing fans hate more than a guy that makes it look easy.

Joe Lewis - "Fights the bum of the month!"
            Marciano - "Only fought old guys!"
            Ali - "Division is shamefully weak!" (Yes, thats what people said at the time)
            Julio Ceaser Chavez - "Cab drivers!"
            Larry Holmes - "Division is weak!"
            Tyson during undefeated run - "Division is weak!"
            Calzaghe - "Only fights old guys!"
            Wladimir Klitschko - "Division is weak!"
            Lennox Lewis - "No chin! No heart!"

There has never been a champion that went undefeated for an extended period that got any credit at the time outside of maybe Sugar Ray Robinson. If a guy is winning easily, people will say "When is he going to fight someone good?" regardless of the competition.

Case in point; look at Manny Pacquiao. He went from being the rags-to-riches darling of boxing fans in 2009 to one of the most disliked boxers in this site by 2011. Why? He kept winning wide UDs.
            Pacquiao's choice of opponents are why he became so disliked, not because he was winning easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
              You hate Floyd... I notice that these 3 men get hated more than Chris John.
              lol. I have yet to see any fan of this guy from NSB.
              Last edited by Larrysbird; 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I see plenty of people hating on Bradley, I mean he only has about 5 fans on this entire site, just ask anyone and they'll tell you such. 2 division champion, undefeated, feather fisted yet has the world on tilt.

Comment

People hate perfection....simple as that,they see a great looking car and then look at theirs and hate

they see the next mans beautiful woman and look at the girl they are with and hate

they see you lean and trim and look at their beer gut and hate

simple as that

Comment

Originally posted by NoLove View Post
                    Well the first two names you mentioned did make calculated decisions to not fight certain people. Mayweather it was Margarito, Prime Cotto and Pac Man. Calzaghe it was Kelly Pavlik (yes I know Calzaghe beats him) etc.
                    how did joe duck Pavlik??come on man...and floyd did not avoid margo or cotto,,arum did not want to pay him so he left top rank

Comment

Because people believe when you are undefeated its because you haven't fought the best, maybe but maybe not, you certainly can't link Calzaghe and Mayweather to that, they are undefeated because they were great fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X