No announcement yet.

What fight was stopped to early and was the worst stoppage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fight was stopped to early and was the worst stoppage

In which fight or fights did the referee stop the fight too early. Are there any fights when the ref seemed to stop a fight to really protect the other fighters unbeaten record?

Recently there was one between Kompayak Porpramook and Jonathan Taconing which some people went crazy about. It was stopped after 5 rounds due to a cut that looked very small and the champion retained his title but I didn't think it was really a controversial fight. It was to a certain degree but people made it seem like something it wasn't. A robbery. Some people acted like Taconing dominated the fight and got robbed and/or was on the verge of stopping Kompayak and I just didn't see it that way at all. Aside from that I remember thinking that Hozumi Hasegawa vs Alejandro Valdez was a unneccessarily hasty stoppage although the result would probably have been the same. I also thought that Fernando Montiel's fight with Hasegawa was stopped prematurely because he only landed one solid punch and all of his follow up punches only looked like grazing blows to me and yet the referee stopped a fight of that magnitude with just one second to go in the round. Having said that, I remember reading that Hasegawa got a broken jaw from that fight so im not going to act like he wasn't hurt and didn't take any punishment, but he didn't look seriously hurt when they stopped it. He looked like he could take the minutes rest and carry on competing and I have seen several fights where one guy took much more punishment and came back to win.

I also remember people making a big fuss about the Lucas Matthysse-Vivian Harris stoppage which was apparently ridiculously premature, but I haven't seen it yet so I really can't give a verdict on how bad it was or wasn't.
    Last edited by JK1700; 06-04-2012, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Hamed vs Buckley 2

Tyson vs Ruddock 1

Comment

Calzaghe vs Manfredo
        Juanma vs Salido 1
        Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 06-04-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Joey Curtis.......

Ask Mike Weaver who that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
            It was premature in terms that Has looked like he could continue, but He didn't give referee other choice really. He was standing up only because he was holding the ropes with one hand and wasn't defending himself at all. It was scary, I would have stopped it as well.
            I just watched it again and I stand by my original view. While he wasn't covering up with his gloves, he was moving his head and Montiel really only landed one solid punch against the ropes. Hasegawa was definitely hurt but it wasn't to the point where it was so bad that the referee had to stop it. Far from it. There was also only one second left in the round and given a minute between rounds who's to say that he wouldn't have been able to come back and win? Nobody. I don't think it was a really bad stoppage. I just thought it was dissapointing to see a fight of that magnitude end like that. Think about it. Had that referee been controlling fights like Michael Carbajal vs Humberto Gonzalez, Humberto Gonzalez vs Saman Sorjaturong and Arturo Gatti vs Wilson Rodriguez among others then we would have been robbed of some of the greatest comebacks in boxing history.
            Last edited by JK1700; 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              Joey Curtis.......

Ask Mike Weaver who that is.
              Terrible stoppage......due to the state of heightened paranoia in the wake of Mancini-Kim.

Comment

Amazed no one has mentioned Chavez-Taylor. I thought it was a good stoppage, but it seems like a lot of people feel strongly that it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  Amazed no one has mentioned Chavez-Taylor. I thought it was a good stoppage, but it seems like a lot of people feel strongly that it wasn't.
                  That would be my top choice. It's just that I'm weary of having the same debate, again and again.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    Calzaghe vs Manfredo
                    Juanma vs Salido 1
                    It's a good job they stopped Juanma Lopez Vs Salido 1 because the beating Juanma was getting and was going to get could have been career threatening.

What happened to Juanma stopping Salido in 6 rounds in the rematch by the way?
                    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 06-04-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X