Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NFL/Boxing Theory have some real weight behind it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NFL/Boxing Theory have some real weight behind it.

It really does. I'm not saying that if the NFL guys boxed, they will be Lennox Lewises and Wladimir Klithscko's. I'm just saying that boxing really did lose multiple heavyweight champions to the NFL. Caliber wise? Who knows, but the theory is legit.

Look at some examples:

Seth Mitchell. Bryant Jennings. Detontay Wilder.

Dominic Breazzle will probably not go far, but the fact that he boxed for one year and made the Olympics team is still impressive. Imagine he started at a very young age instead?

Former Heavyweight champions in regards to American Football:

Lennox Lewis

"I played football when I was young, I ended up going with boxing"
    Lewis was a first team stand out and was scouted by numerous colleges.
    Riddick Bowe was a WR and his coach begged him to play football instead of box.
    Ray Mercer played football leading up to Army.
    Tony Tucker.
    Tyrell Biggs.

Once again, I'm not saying that any top NFL player could have become the HW Champ, but it will be pure ignorance to deny the fact that

Robert Griffin 3 or Cam Newton would have made great prospects.
    Last edited by Skittlez; 01-29-2013, 03:38 AM.

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
    It really does. I'm not saying that if the NFL guys boxed, they will be Lennox Lewises and Wladimir Klithscko's. I'm just saying that boxing really did lose multiple heavyweight champions to the NFL. Caliber wise? Who knows, but the theory is legit.

Look at some examples:

Seth Mitchell. Odds are, he will be in for a title shot by the end of 2013. He is a NFL reject. Imagine if he started at age 10?

Dominic Breazzle will probably not go far, but the fact that he boxed for one year and made the Olympics team is still impressive. Imagine he started at a very young age instead?

Former Heavyweight champions in regards to American Football:

Lennox Lewis

"I played football when I was young, I ended up going with boxing"
    Lewis was a first team stand out and was scouted by numerous colleges.
    Riddick Bowe was a WR and his coach begged him to play football instead of box.
    Ray Mercer played football leading up to Army.
    Tony Tucker.
    Tyrell Biggs.

Once again, I'm not saying that any top NFL player could have become the HW Champ, but it will be pure ignorance to deny the fact that

Robert Griffin 3 or Cam Newton would have made great prospects.
    The NFL was around and very popular in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, etc. So why didn't it impinge on US boxing in those eras as well?

The reason American HWs are not where they used to be is the fall of the Soviet Union and the freeing up of Eastern Europeans to fight professionally.

Had the Soviet Union not existed, the history of the HW division would likely be very different.

Comment

Ehhhh whatever, we'll still NEVER EVER see a young, prospect like Mike Tyson. EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nephilim View Post
        The NFL was around and very popular in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, etc. So why didn't it impinge on US boxing in those eras as well?

The reason American HWs are not where they used to be is the fall of the Soviet Union and the freeing up of Eastern Europeans to fight professionally.

Had the Soviet Union not existed, the history of the HW division would likely be very different.
        The NFL was not even remotely as popular in the 70s, 80s, or even 90s as it is now. It's a phenomenon that permeates damn near every part of American culture now. You can't escape the NFL here in America.

Comment

There's no denying those facts... what grates on other nations though is the idea that this is only a problem in America. As if all us other countries are only boxing and not playing other sports... Undoubtedly if all nfl and nba players were boxers from a young age then im sure you'd have more heavyweight champions now, same as if all rugby league and union players had boxed, we would have many more champions from middleweight and up, if all our football (soccer) players had boxed we could have many more champions.

And yes the picture was changed drastically by the opening up of the Soviet Union. This is undeniable.

Comment

Do you honestly believe the best America can produce is Chris Arreola and Chambers? Can you not see the quality of fighters going down?

The HW division has been declining for some time now, the NFL/NBA weren't nearly as popular as they were back in the 70s. Especially collegiately! A big factor is TVs becoming more affordable, the civil rights movement, etc.

Just look at the average salaries per year:
            NBA:
            1970-$20,000
            1980-$90,000
            1985-$300,000
            1990-$860,000
            2000-$4,000,000
            2012-$5.15 mill

The same thing with the NFL, it's practically the same thing except they earn a bit less than NBA players, they both sky rocketed at around the same time.

College isn't free in America, we must pay A LOT of money to attend a university, we can get things like Sports scholarships to pay partially or all of our education though.

"The cost for one year of tuition and fees varies widely among colleges. According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2011–2012 school year was $28,500 at private colleges, $8,244 for state residents at public colleges, and $20,770 for out-of-state residents attending public universities."

You're 18 years old straight out of school, do you have that kind of money?

Comment

it was nowhere near the level it's at today in those decades. it's really only picked up steam in the last 10-15 years, especially with the advent of HD television and big screens.

a big screen HD TV is almost as good as being at a live football game.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sballotHOF View Post
                Ehhhh whatever, we'll still NEVER EVER see a young, prospect like Mike Tyson. EVER.

that's because he is playing football.

probably never gonna see an ali, either

he's playing basketball.

you wouldn't even think lebron james was real. 6'9". 270. runs like a dear. moves like a welterweight. built like somebody carved him out of wood...
                Last edited by New England; 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

i've never watched 1 NFL game.....ever

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    that's because he is playing football.

probably never gonna see an ali, either

he's playing basketball.

you wouldn't even think lebron james was real. 6'9". 270. runs like a dear. moves like a welterweight. built like somebody carved him out of wood...
                    I don't know about that. For as long as HW boxing's been around. There's NEVER been a guy like Tyson. Yes, a guy like Adrien Peterson, athletically is comparable to a Tyson. BUT, you can't train that type of torque on a punch, or even his speed. So for all this talk about "super athletes" that could have been. I don't care. I got to witness the greatest HW boxing machine, during his prime.

Don't get it twisted, I'm not calling him the best ever by any stretch of the imagination. But we'll NEVER EVER witness a raw, ferocious, explosive, killer like a Mike Tyson in our lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                    X