When was Bernard Hopkins prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jasjas View Post
    yea.

experience is a huge factor. its difficult to say what hopkins' physical prime was because hopkins fought differently against tito. used his legs to move around the ring, used defense, feints, other moves that depend more on sharp reflexes. but its hard to say a mans physical prime is at the age of 36.

but for me, hopkins absolute prime factoring in a culmination of facets was shown when he was 36 against trinidad.

everything in the trinidad fight was on point and it required all the experience he acquired that led up to the moment. i am sure that the hopkins of that night would have put any middleweight in history in an hospital, and if that middleweight was someone named marvin hagler, bernard would in the hospital bed next to marvins.
    Yeah, if you want to show a masterpiece performance of B-Hop, you show that fight. Of course based on performance and the opponent he was fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
      He is clearly just beginning it lol
      Yeah it really seems like it or he's just becoming more comfortable in the ring like Floyd.

Comment

SMH at people thinking a persons prime boils down to one fight
        (He was in his prime when he fought so&so No he was in his prime when he fought bra)

Comment

Originally posted by torosboxing75 View Post
          Yeah it really seems like it or he's just becoming more comfortable in the ring like Floyd.
          This is what I'm talking about. Clueless. The B-Hop of today would give up 20 fights worth of knowledge for his athleticism back.

He wouldn't even have gotten touched by a fighter like Pascal, let alone knocked down twice. Or however many times he got knocked down, I forget.

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
            This is what I'm talking about. I'm Clueless. The B-Hop of today would give up 20 fights worth of knowledge for his athleticism back.

He wouldn't even have gotten touched by a fighter like Pascal, let alone knocked down twice. Or however many times he got knocked down, I forget.
            What old person wouldn't dumba$$

Comment

Originally posted by torosboxing75 View Post
              What old person wouldn't dumba$$
              He's prime, but you just called him old.

How is an old man in his prime?

I'm sure Tim Duncan's learned every trick in the book at this point, but is he a better player now? Case closed.

And don't talk about his recent performances. If the B-Hop of today fought a prime Jermain Taylor, you REALLY think it would look the same as when they fought before?

Comment

1997-1999, Bernard Hopkins was a ****ing beast. That guy was damn near unbeatable. Even by the time he fought Tito I felt like he had slowed just a tick. But a couple years before that...good Lord. I understand why no fighter wanted to be anywhere near him.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  He is an odd case it seems
                  This is an interesting post b/c, if you are referring to his physical prime - his days are long gone- one can make the argument that he was well past his prime before his victory over Tarver, or even before his losses that ended his streak in the Taylor era.

However what makes him special or outlast his physical prime is his skills and experience. The man can out think you in the ring which makes him timeless. He's preserved himself well to go beyond just physical talents which fade over time with age (i.e., Roy Jones Jr).

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
                    He's prime, but you just called him old.

How is an old man in his prime?

I'm sure Tim Duncan's learned every trick in the book at this point, but is he a better player now? Case closed.

And don't talk about his recent performances. If the B-Hop of today fought a prime Jermain Taylor, you REALLY think it would look the same as when they fought before?
                    Why are you getting all excited.:boobies: All I said originally was that he is more comfortable in the ring now.

Comment

Working...
                    X