Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freddie Roach doesn't think Virgil Hunter can change Amir Khan from who he really is

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie Roach doesn't think Virgil Hunter can change Amir Khan from who he really is

I disagree with Roach, sometimes a change of scenery is what you need as a fighter but I will say that nothing is going to change the fact Khan doesn't have a good chin.

I know many people say you can work on your chin but in all my years of being in boxing, I have seen no evidence of this....NONE.

You can strengthen your neck muscles and all that but I have seen nothing that shows me you can take a better punch. It's just one of those things that guys are born with. Khan needs to be a better defensive fighter for sure but he needs to avoid the big shot, it's just that simple.

Comment

Thing that pisses me off with khan is he doesn't use angles he'd much rather throw an 8 punch combo of just straight shots than mix it up with hooks n **** and when he does decide to throw hooks and uppercuts he leads with em

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        I disagree with Roach, sometimes a change of scenery is what you need as a fighter but I will say that nothing is going to change the fact Khan doesn't have a good chin.

I know many people say you can work on your chin but in all my years of being in boxing, I have seen no evidence of this....NONE.

You can strengthen your neck muscles and all that but I have seen nothing that shows me you can take a better punch. It's just one of those things that guys are born with. Khan needs to be a better defensive fighter for sure but he needs to avoid the big shot, it's just that simple.
        I couldn't agree more with everything you have said. I remember being called a hater after i predicted Khan would wipe the floor with Malignaggi but that he would definately get stopped again. His chin has always been shaky and like you said, I think it will always be shaky. He fits 140 well, he doesnt have great power even though he says he does, so 147 or 154 wont help him from being "drained" what he will find there are bigger punchers too.

Khan needs to be matched carefully. He's a very exciting game fighter and I think he could do well under Hunter, he tries and works hard and I bet he's quite a pleasure to train, he just needs some fundamentals taught to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          I disagree with Roach, sometimes a change of scenery is what you need as a fighter
          I have to agree with Roach, only a few fighters have been able to change their styles (Hopkins, MAB), most fighters are who they are, you can try to drill some sense into them but as soon as they get in the ring they'll revert to their usual style. That's Khan's biggest problem : his poor defense and his lack of ring IQ. Even if he improved his chin without improving in these areas it would actually be worse for him, he would keep fighting stupid and taking punches but this time for 9-10-11 rounds before getting stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            I have to agree with Roach, only a few fighters have been able to change their styles (Hopkins, MAB), most fighters are who they are, you can try to drill some sense into them but as soon as they get in the ring they'll revert to their usual style. That's Khan's biggest problem : his poor defense and his lack of ring IQ. Even if he improved his chin without improving in these areas it would actually be worse for him, he would keep fighting stupid and taking punches but this time for 9-10-11 rounds before getting stopped.
            See, I don't think that Hunter is coming in to change Khan's style though. You don't do that to a fighter with this much experience, what you do is tweek things here and there, that can most definitely be done. I have done that in my gym for example.

I have this kid, he's 23 years old and had 5 pro fights when I got him. He was standing all wrong, defense wasn't there, he's a brawler.

So what we did was change his stance first and foremost. Then we incorporated a nice tight defense using catching punches mostly because he's not a mover.

Since training with us, he has won 4 in a row, 3 by KO. His record was 2-3 when we got him.

It can be done, you just have to minimize what you change and keep it simple and repeat over and over what you want him to focus on. I think Hunter is doing that, just tweeking little things with Khan and that will serve him better. Like I said though, his chin is still a problem and will be a problem because he can't get a better chin.

Comment

Hunter has a lot of work to do to calm Khan down in the ring. Is it possible? who knows, but you can bet Roach won't want to see it happen as it would make him look bad.

Comment

Lets see if Khan finally has head movement.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                  Hunter has a lot of work to do to calm Khan down in the ring. Is it possible? who knows, but you can bet Roach won't want to see it happen as it would make him look bad.
                  ^^^ You beat me to it. Very honest comment.

Roach doesn't think anyone can ... let me rephrase this ... Roach will never admit that anyone can or even might be able to do something better than he's done.

Even with Manny, Roach hasn't made any significant changes. Manny still fights the same way.

Once he's hit its back to jab, jab straight left hand. Its all Manny knows and its all he has to offer as far as offense.

Comment

Working...
                  X