Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Pacquiao Expects Miguel Cotto to 'Bring His Best' for Showdown

Manny Pacquiao Expects Miguel Cotto to 'Bring His Best' for Showdown

Posted Oct 28, 2009 5:00PM By Lem Satterfield

Boxer Manny Pacquiao has become a cross-over star.

FanHouse caught up to the six-division world champion on Wednesday to discuss his upcoming clash with WBO welterweight champ, Miguel Cotto, his humanitarian efforts during a typhoon in his native Philippines, his political aspirations and his photo in ESPN Magazine's 'Body Issue.'

See what Pacquiao had to say after the jump.

FanHouse: How do you feel about recently being named an honoree for the Gusi Peace Prize, the only athlete among the recepients?

Manny Pacquiao: I'm so humbled and honored to receive an award of recognition like that, especially being the only fighter. I'm very, very happy.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0" height="346" width="400">

FH: Obviously, the award comes as a result of your efforts in disaster relief and your breaking training to deliver food during the typhoons in the Philippines?

Pacquiao: I was excited that I was able to help. Even during training camp, we went down to Manila to deliver food through my foundation.

I'm comfortable that the people will be taken care of through my foundation, and that they will take care of the details while I'm gone.

FH: What did you think of the most recent episode of the 24/7 series regarding its coverage of your training camp?

Pacquiao: It was well done. The problem, I think, with the 24/7, was that their crew was not with us because of the storm as much as they wanted to be, and as much as I wanted them to be.

The storm was a problem for their crew, but it was a good show. I expect it to get better.

FH: Did the series accurately depict what happened during the disagreement between yourself and your trainer, Freddie Roach, about when and when not to break camp in Baguio City as a result of the storms?

Pacquiao: You know, Freddie and I talked. You saw when he came over and spoke to me during that one scene. He wanted to leave earlier than I did, but I was not as worried as he was because I'm used to typhoons and I'm used to rain. It's something that I grew up with.

So, I guess I wasn't as concerned as Freddie was because I don't think that he is used to that type of weather. I actually ended up leaving before Freddie because he stayed overnight and I left in the middle of the night for Manila.

FH: Can you describe your relationship with Freddie Roach?

Pacquiao: Freddie and I, he's like my dad. He's like my brother. We never have any major problems, only minor discussions.

FH: Can you discuss what each of your sparring partners bring to the table in former world champion Jose Luis Castillo, Shawn Porter (10-0, eight knockouts) and Urbano Antillon (26-1, 19 KOs)?

Pacquiao: Shawn Porter is a very big guy, probably weighing 165 pounds right now. And he's a young guy and he's energetic and gives me good work.

I like Castillo also because he's been around. He's a veteran. He knows the moves that help me to stay on my guard. He's got the veteran moves that I need.

The other guy who has helped me the last four fights is Urbano Antillon. He's a good fighter. Tough, very tough. He stands in front of you, likes to go to the body and gives me good work -- the same way Cotto comes forward. He tries to bully me.
    "Miguel Cotto is a tough guy, and I expect him to bring his best, and I expect to have fun in the ring for this fight."
    -- Manny Pacquiao
    FH: Do all three of them bring different things to the table and, together, make a Miguel Cotto?

Pacquiao: Like you said, it's the combination of their skills. I spar two or three rounds with each one to work on different things so that, No. 1, I'm not ever bored.

I'm forced to learn and to try different things so that I'm ready for Miguel Cotto.

FH: Are observers accurate when they say that this is the biggest, strongest guy that you will have faced in Miguel Cotto?

Pacquiao: You know, I think so. Oscar was a big guy, also -- maybe much bigger than Cotto and I. But Miguel Cotto is a tough guy, and I expect him to bring his best, and I expect to have fun in the ring for this fight.

FH: Do you anticipate being the quicker guy in the ring for this fight?

Pacquiao: Of course. I think that my speed and my quickness is my No. 1 asset and will be for all of my fights.

FH: Do you find that you are a better boxer now that you've moved up?

Pacquiao: I've been lucky. God's been good to me, and I'm working hard. Coach Freddie and I try different things so that we're always improving my skills.

FH: Can you discuss why you want to run for congress?

Pacquiao: The reason I want to run for congress is to have change in my country. There is just so much corruption. It's been that way for years, and for centuries. I just want to see a difference.

I don't need the money, I don't need anything from the public officials. I just want to give back to the people where I came from. I know how they live, how they act, and what their needs are.

I believe that I can help them -- at least I can be an example to them. I want to make a difference in their lives like they have made a difference in mine.

FH: What do you make of the comparisons of your popularity to that of Muhammad Ali as a boxer, with your worldwide acceptance?

Pacquiao: I'm honored. I'm happy that people seem to be happy with the way that I fight.

My No. 1 goal is not only to win the fight, but to give the fans a very exciting fight.

Especially with this present economy today, and with people paying their hard-earned money to watch me fight. You just hope that it's worth it for them to pay the $50, or, $60 for pay per view, or thousands of dollars for ringside tickets.

You just want to make sure that people are satisfied and happy that they spent their money on a good fight.

FH: Did we see all of the photos that were taken of you in ESPN Magazine's "Body Issue," or did they make you get totally nude?

Pacquiao: [Laughs.] I think I'm the only one with clothes on in the magazine. They didn't try to make me get nude, no, no, no, no. I hadn't even started training then, so my body was not where I wanted it to be.

Next time, though, at the weigh-in for this fight, you'll see what my body will look like.

FH: Anything you would like to add that we didn't cover?

Pacquiao: Just thank you for your time. I thank all of the media for their coverage. I hope that you all will be there for Miguel Cotto, and that we have a great fight on
    Nov. 14.

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2009/10/2...best-for-show/

He expects to have fun in the ring lol..
    Pac is the man.

Comment

about the politicss... if he does go into it which i believe he really wants to I hope nothing bad happens to him.. he say he wants to fight corruption and with that right there he is going to make a lot of enemies..

i honestly hope nothing bad happens.. he kind of reminds me of roberto clemente..with his humanitarian efforts.

Comment

Pacquiao: [Laughs.] I think I'm the only one with clothes on in the magazine. They didn't try to make me get nude, no, no, no, no. I hadn't even started training then, so my body was not where I wanted it to be.

Next time, though, at the weigh-in for this fight, you'll see what my body will look like

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did he just confess to PEDs?

Comment

Working...
        X