No announcement yet.

Golovkin is the New Star

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    He's good no doubt about that, best at MW, and top 10 in the sport right now. But his starpower is exaggerated. Selling out $30-400 dollar tickets and doing 97k on PPV is not an indication that he's the new Golden Boy or anything like that. He may never even get there because of his age.

He's just the good fighter that fans want to see current superstars face, he's not a superstar himself. More like the thorn of the superstars. He'll never be one himself even with all the endorsements, he can't do 300-350k with lesser fighters like DLH, Mayweather, Canelo could.
    He's 34. With all of the fighters competing at around 40 these days, I think he's okay. That's a good five years left most likely. In five years, a lot can happen. In five weeks, he'll either have 3 of the belts or the Canelo fight set up and even if he doesn't get the Canelo fight, he will probably get Jacobs. I know his PPV numbers weren't high, but a GGG-Jacobs fight would do more than 97K and a Canelo fight would see quite well and this happens this year and he is a young 34, never taking many punches or being in wars. Some guys do get old overnight but barring that, I think he has one hell of a run ahead of him.

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      He's 34. With all of the fighters competing at around 40 these days, I think he's okay. That's a good five years left most likely. In five years, a lot can happen. In five weeks, he'll either have 3 of the belts or the Canelo fight set up and even if he doesn't get the Canelo fight, he will probably get Jacobs. I know his PPV numbers weren't high, but a GGG-Jacobs fight would do more than 97K and a Canelo fight would see quite well and this happens this year and he is a young 34, never taking many punches or being in wars. Some guys do get old overnight but barring that, I think he has one hell of a run ahead of him.
      We don't know when father time will catch up to him, due to him fighting for a long time, and having 350 amateur fights plus 10 year pro experience. So JMM, Mayweather, Pacquiao fighting around 40 years old doesn't mean GGG can do it. Especially if he ever goes up in weight like JMM, FMJ, Pac did, that puts wear on your body, fighting bigger guys on fight night wears you out faster and your power is no longer the same, and you have to be more defensive,you can't be a wrecking machine anymore. If GGG goes through a resume of Zurdo, DeGale, Jack, Dirrell it's much different than going through Lemiuex, light punching Geale, light punching Saunders, Jacobs who has no chin.

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        Sounds like pretty good seats.
        It was awesome. I've never seen so many Nicaraguans in New York.

Comment

We don't know when father time will catch up to him, due to him fighting for a long time, and having 350 amateur fights plus 10 year pro experience. So JMM, Mayweather, Pacquiao fighting around 40 years old doesn't mean GGG can do it. Especially if he ever goes up in weight like JMM, FMJ, Pac did, that puts wear on your body, fighting bigger guys on fight night wears you out faster and your power is no longer the same, and you have to be more defensive,you can't be a wrecking machine anymore. If GGG goes through a resume of Zurdo, DeGale, Jack, Dirrell it's much different than going through Lemiuex, light punching Geale, light punching Saunders, Jacobs who has no chin.
          Well, a more defensive style seems to be the route most aging fighters take. Hopkins for sure did so. However, there was George Foreman who always had a wrecking machine style. Duran fought until he was in his fifties and while his defense was unreal, he still fought aggressively until the end. I think it really depends on the fighter. Golovkin looks to have very little wear and tear thus far. After some tough match-ups, who knows?

Comment

• hes been on verge of mega star he just needs make some big fights even if that means leaving his comfort zone. then again casuals might like seeing him knockout guys who shouldnt be in the ring with him i dont know

Comment

He's good no doubt about that, best at MW, and top 10 in the sport right now. But his starpower is exaggerated. Selling out $30-400 dollar tickets and doing 97k on PPV is not an indication that he's the new Golden Boy or anything like that. He may never even get there because of his age.

He's just the good fighter that fans want to see current superstars face, he's not a superstar himself. More like the thorn of the superstars. He'll never be one himself even with all the endorsements, he can't do 300-350k with lesser fighters like DLH, Mayweather, Canelo could.
              Nearly all the PFP lists have in the top 3, certainly it's true of Ring and TBR which are the two major ones.

Stardom as measured by PPV remains elusive.

Comment

• The uneducated *********s now keep telling themself lies over and over, and repeat them until they believe em. Like that 97k.

GGG gives these poor bastards nothing, so they have to come up with lies and wishful thinking. Funny, every time you read it you realize what a narrowminded person must sit there.

Cotto did 60k in his first PPV, Arum says he is happy when Crawford (american fighter, who gets pretty much hyped) does 100k. GGG did 150k.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...001737498.html

But maybe Yahoo and Kevin Iole is less trustworthy than Dontaes Boxing Nation. Haha

Who would have thought one humble guy from Kazakhstan could make the life of so many racists and *********s miserable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                  Nearly all the PFP lists have in the top 3, certainly it's true of Ring and TBR which are the two major ones.

Stardom as measured by PPV remains elusive.
                  Yeah...top 10. That means he's in the top 10, sure including the top 3.

Comment

• Clearly, Canelo needs Golovkin for his September opponent. Who else would bring as much interest to the fight as Golovkin? Saunders, Eubank, Jr., Lemieux and the rest would be okay, but Golovkin will bring the most money at this point.

Comment

Working...
                    X