Elite NYC high schools test is racist against blacks, latinos

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Elite NYC high schools test is racist against blacks, latinos

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/ny...says.html?_r=0

A coalition of educational and civil rights groups filed a federal complaint on Thursday saying that black and Hispanic students were disproportionately excluded from New York City’s most selective high schools because of a single-test admittance policy they say is racially discriminatory.
    Connect with NYTMetro

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for news and conversation.
    The complaint, filed with the United States Education Department, seeks to have the policy found in violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and to change admissions procedures “to something that is nondiscriminatory and fair to all students,” said Damon T. Hewitt, a lawyer with the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, one of the groups that filed the complaint.

At issue is the Specialized High School Admissions Test, which is the sole criterion for admission to eight specialized schools that, even in the view of city officials, have been troubled by racial demographics that are out of balance.

Although 70 percent of the city’s public school students are black and Hispanic, a far smaller percentage have scored high enough to receive offers from one of the schools. According to the complaint, 733 of the 12,525 black and Hispanic students who took the exam were offered seats this year. For whites, 1,253 of the 4,101 test takers were offered seats. Of 7,119 Asian students who took the test, 2,490 were offered seats. At Stuyvesant High School, the most sought-after school, 19 blacks were offered seats in a freshman class of 967.
    so apparently 35 percent of Asians who took this test got good enough grades and got in the school. while only 5 percent of blacks/hispanic got in. So it must be racist? hmmm...

so it's racist because they didn't pass the test ???

Comment

Dont want to go into racial stereotypes but students are selected by test grades

I went to one of these school for 1 year (Bronx Science) which was DOMINATED by asian and those fcukers were smart as hell

Also these "demographics" are based off of what the student identifies himself as when taking an optional survey, and i always selected "black" because there are rumors that they like to take the smart black student over a white/asian with the same exact grades

Comment

We're just dumb. We're mostly raised by uneducated parents, I know I was. We're around people who are nobodies, neighborhood drug dealers are the wealthiest people we know and look up to. Whites and Asians are raised better than us Hispanics and Blacks. They usually have successful parents to look up to. My mother's highest grade was 5th grade, my father went to Jr High.

That's my brief take on this situation.

Comment

Sounds ike a school that finally just accepts kid not based on race, but based on who scores the best. .

Good for them. ..

Ohh, but noo, we have to make things "equal" by acting like a black kid who scores 70 out of 100, is the same as an asian kid who scores 95 out of 100. ..

The best, the brightest should get the seats. . . Period. . . That is "racial equality."

Comment

Originally posted by devildg View Post
            http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/ny...says.html?_r=0

so apparently 35 percent of Asians who took this test got good enough grades and got in the school. while only 5 percent of blacks/hispanic got in. So it must be racist? hmmm...
            It cannot be classified as racist, IF test scores were the only criteria used to determine acceptance. If other elements, that have nothing to do with the test were factored into the acceptance process, then a complaint would be valid.

BTW: If skin color did play a role, then I seriously doubt it can be proven.

This is the way of the world -- Humans are not color-blind. {Sadly}

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
              It cannot be classified as racist, IF test scores were the only criteria used to determine acceptance. If other elements, that have nothing to do with the test were factored into the acceptance process, then a complaint would be valid.

BTW: If skin color did play a role, then I seriously doubt it can be proven.

This is the way of the world -- Humans are not color-blind. {Sadly}

Agree 100%.

Let's be real - racism is real (from all races towards others). But I don't tihnk it's the end all, be all like some make out.

If the school simply gave kids seast based on test scores, with no "Curve" allowed for those based on race, good for htem. . I think it's racist against kids to take into account their skin color, or "race" when placing them - BOTH ways.

If they were sneaky bastards by looking at where they lived, their names, or their parents income, etc. and using these criteria to somehow "gauge" their race, then **** them. . .

Comment

I always believe these results are accurate, IMO. No offense to anyone.

I grew up poor and went to an all black high school, but because I had two intelligent parents, that both came from homes with two intelligent parents, I was miles and miles ahead of my minority classmates from my first day of school. Hell, I could already read pretty well when I started kindergarten. Way ahead of everyone else. In 7th grade, there were TONS of kids having difficulty with four and five-letter words on spelling test.

Many kids, some definitely white but a whole lot more minority, have to struggle and play catch up to their more well-off white and asian counterparts with less resources. It's difficult, and there is no real solution to the problem that schools, tests, gov't, ect. can provide.

Comment

some are just naturally born smart

Comment

Originally posted by Chinaski View Post
                    some are just naturally born smart
                    Aye . There is definitely an inherent, biological aspect (nature) to intelligence, and learning capacity.

Of course your upbringing, or "nurturing," if you will, plays a role as well.

If we were a true "color blind" country, and free of racism, then we wouldn't care what color people are who score the best; nor penalize those for being a certain race by not giving them what they earned.

Comment

Working...
                    X