Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists discover Earth-like tectonics on Jupiter moon

Scientists discover Earth-like tectonics on Jupiter moon

http://rt.com/news/186248-jupiter-moon-earth-life/

Jupiter’s moon Europa could be quite Earth-like and even have traces of life, say scientists who discovered that Europa has ‘diving’ tectonic plates, the same type of surface-shifting geological activity as found on Earth.

“Europa may be more Earth-like than we imagined, if it has a global plate tectonic system,” one of the study’s authors, Simon A. Kattenhorn, says in a NASA press release.

He added that such a discovery may show that one of Jupiter’s 67 confirmed moons may bear traces of life.

“Not only does this discovery make it one of the most geologically-interesting bodies in the solar system, it also implies two-way communication between the exterior and interior - a way to move material from the surface into the ocean- a process which has significant implications for Europa’s potential as a habitable world.”

The article ‘Evidence for subduction in the ice shell of Europa’ was written by Kattenhorn together with Louise M. Prockter and published in Nature Geoscience on Sunday.

“We have been puzzled for years as to how all this new terrain could be formed, but we couldn’t figure out how it was accommodated,” said Prockter. “We finally think we’ve found the answer.”

Kattenhorn and Prockter claim in a new study they observed plate tectonics when studying Europa’s surface, which is about 40-90 million years old.

“We propose that Europa’s ice shell has a brittle, mobile, plate-like system above convecting warmer ice. Hence, Europa may be the only Solar System body other than Earth to exhibit a system of plate tectonics,” said the authors.

That's awesome.

In our Solar System, the real gems seem to be the moons rather then the lifeless planets.

Something (microbial or slightly better) is probably out there in the Jovian or Saturn systems.

Comment

I always thought Europa* would be a leading candidate for life in our solar system
      Last edited by Beercules; 09-09-2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
        I always thought Europe would be a leading candidate for life in our solar system
        There is plenty of life in Europe, I should know, i live there.

Comment

Originally posted by Split Decision View Post
          There is plenty of life in Europe, I should know, i live there.
          I meant Europa you cheeky ****

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
            I meant Europa you cheeky ****
            lol so what you meant was that you read somewhere that Europa is most likely to hold life and you are now passing it off that you came to that conclusion all by yourself lol you cheeky ****

Comment

jupiter's moons are the real deal. if anybody wants something fun to read, do some research on titan. it's speculated that titan has an ocean / river system of liquid ethane and methane. this may be proven at this point, or may have been proven all along. i haven't read up on titan in a long, long time.

it's not much smaller than the earth, and it has the active geology of a young planet. cool, cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Split Decision View Post
                lol so what you meant was that you read somewhere that Europa is most likely to hold life and you are now passing it off that you came to that conclusion all by yourself lol you cheeky ****
                You took from my comment that I came to the conclusion all alone, that Europa would be able to sustain life?

And I'm the cheeky **** what bollocks

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  jupiter's moons are the real deal. if anybody wants something fun to read, do some research on titan. it's speculated that titan has an ocean / river system of liquid ethane and methane. this may be proven at this point, or may have been proven all along. i haven't read up on titan in a long, long time.

it's not much smaller than the earth, and it has the active geology of a young planet. cool, cool stuff.
                  http://youtu.be/5vOU6-1yNZs

Comment

cool film

Comment

Working...
                    X