Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Winky Wright be inducted into the Hall of Fame some day?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
    Why not?

If Barrera does, then Winky Wright sure as hell does.
    LOL.

I doubt Wight ever gets into the hall.

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
      but let me say this: why does Shane Mosley belong into the hall of fame?? he had quite some defences at lightweight against mostly average competition, then he has 2 wins over De la Hoya while he was on roids, and the 2nd one wasnt even a real win. Furthermore he lost all his big fights against Forrest (twice), Winky Wright (twice) and lost to Miguel Cotto and got outclassed by Pacquiao and Mayweather. and those 2 wins against a totally shot Vargas dont mean anything really.
      Sugar Shane into the hall of fame???
      Honestly, I'm all that undecided about Mosley. His LW reign was good. Good comp. I honestly don't know how far the PED issue goes with him. the end of his prime was around 07-08, so anything after that, I don't hold against him too much, like I don't hold the loss to Punisher against Winky.

He won the Margarito fight, discounting the behind the scenes mess, that fight was supposed to be another warm up for Margarito in prep for Cotto II. He lost the Cotto fight, near the end of his prime and gave a good showing as well. Its ok to lose. I think the rematches against Winky and Forrest were a closer than the scorecards said.

Its a tough call, if I had to choose between the two, I'd certainly put Mosley>Winky based off of prior history.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.0pal View Post
        Exactly. Other than Oscar Shane's biggest wins were against Margarito and Vargas.
        Yeah and those Oscar wins were huge.
        Oscar, Margarito, Vargas, Rivera, Collazo, Holliday, Leija, Molina

3 weight World champion. 39 fight unbeaten streak. Never ducked Anyone.

Wright turned down a Mayweather fight.

Comment

All I know is there is no way u can say Miguel cotto is a hofer and then say winky isn't. No way.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotime View Post
            Yeah and those Oscar wins were huge.
            Oscar, Margarito, Vargas, Rivera, Collazo, Holliday, Leija, Molina

3 weight World champion. 39 fight unbeaten streak. Never ducked Anyone.

Wright turned down a Mayweather fight.
            That fight wasn't gonna happen. Baseless talk from both fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
              All I know is there is no way u can say Miguel cotto is a hofer and then say winky isn't. No way.
              ^^^ That too.

Comment

Take the Manny Pacquiao losses off Marquez' resume, and what's left??? Winky and JMM are actually more similar on resume's that most care to realize. Winky didn't realy lose to Simon and Vargas, was robbed. Marquez didn't really lose to Norwood, John and Pacquiao in 08', was robbed. Winky had a really close fight with unbeaten Jermain Taylor, most felt he was robbed. Marquez had two other close fights with Manny in 04' (draw) and 11' (loss), where many felt he won.

Aside from those controveries, Winky had wins over McKart, Dodson, Quartey, Mosley, Trinidad (past it). Aside from JMM's main controversies, had wins over Gainer, Polo, Barrera (past it), Juarez, Katsidis, J. Diaz, and Peden.

Marquez is going to be HOF and a ton of people leap to calling him an ATG of this era. Winky probably deserves to be in the HOF, won't get in, and I voted no because you can't really get in the HOF based on close fights you lost.

Comment

Winky and Mosley are IN already...clearly a lot of you haven't been watching boxing that long

Winky and Mosley cemented their legacies...YEARS AGO! Nothing they do now will effect their chances at making it in the Hall Of Fame and the Boxing Hall Of Fame is not as difficult to make compared to other Hall Of Fame's like Baseball and NFL Football

Winky is not a guarantee though, don't think he is a "FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER" but I am not really sure how the Boxing Hall Of Fame Voting Works, so Winky is not a guarantee but I think he should get in
                  Last edited by KnockUTheFukOut; 02-12-2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

under the current standards of the hall of fame?

yes
                    unequivocally. they're letting everybody in these days.

lets look at his career.
                    lost his first shot at the title to an argentine tough guy named julio cesar vasquez, a tough southpaw who finished his career with over 40 knockouts and was
                    vasquez rocked him seriously and he had to survive. i cant remember which round, but he was basically out on his feet. it took a hell of a lot for him to get out of that round and back into the fight.

he wouldnt lose for another four years, and he grabbed an alphabet title. he went to south africa and lost an MD to harry simon (a south african,) in a fight that i have not seen.
                    it was announced a draw, and only in the locker room did winky find out that the scores were "added wrong," and that he had lost a MD
                    then he had a very close fight with vargas on the B side of the card (MD loss. very close fight)

he really hit his stride in the new millenium. he won a world title in '01 and in '04 he defended it twice in a row against shane mosley (coming off of the de la hoya fight)

and then he totally whitewashed trinidad in his very next fight, sending him into retirement until the jones fight

trinidad had just knocked out mayorda, and even though he was beyond his best days he was still a viable commodity and a huge puncher.
                    winky picked him clean

he looked pretty bad in a stay busy win over sam soliman

and then he fought jermain taylor to a draw in a very close fight in tennessee
                    it was a great fight and i have no problem with it being a draw. anybody remember how bad taylor's eye got?

then he fought quartey in a pretty meaningless fight at MW which he won

and everybody knows about his losses in the past few years to hopkins and williams, where he looked horribly faded

at his best his chin, style, adaptability, and ample skillset would be a rough puzzle to solve for most at 154 in history. i'm not saying he's going to beat them all. he probably loses to many of the ATG at or around the weight, but he's still a rough go.
                    he's seen as a guy who came up the hard way. he fought a lot on the road. he got some tough decisions. he had a good defense but later on down the road he tended to stay in harm's way, and is given lots of credit for being an honest to goodness tough guy.
                    i always liked his fights.

he's a borderline case in my opinion, but going on the standards that they keep for the hall these days i'd be pretty shocked if he doesnt get in.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
                      Winky and Mosley are IN already...clearly a lot of you haven't been watching boxing that long

Winky and Mosley cemented their legacies...YEARS AGO! Nothing they do now will effect their chances at making it in the Hall Of Fame and the Boxing Hall Of Fame is not as difficult to make compared to other Hall Of Fame's like Baseball and NFL Football

agreement

i'm starting to think that a lot of the NSB guys are teenagers.

Comment

Working...
                      X