• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] "Lebron is the face of Basketball"-Kevin Garnett

"Lebron is the face of Basketball"-Kevin Garnett
    By Marla Ridenour
    Beacon Journal sports writer

Kevin Garnett's words were haunting, and it had nothing to do with his role in knocking the Cavaliers out of the playoffs.
    Garnett, the Boston Celtics forward who turns 34 this week, provided a compelling argument why the Cavs' LeBron James should sign elsewhere in free agency.
    ''Loyalty is something that hurts you at times because you can't get youth back,'' Garnett said late Thursday night. ''I can honestly say that if I could go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with this organization, I'd have done it a little sooner.
    ''I don't know what's going through his mind; he's a different individual. I haven't spoken to him or anything, but the world is his.''
    Like James, Garnett leaped from high school to the NBA. He spent his first 12 professional seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves and went to the playoffs eight times. But the Timberwolves never got past the first round until Garnett's final season in 2004, when he was voted the league's Most Valuable Player. It wasn't until Garnett signed with the Celtics when he was 31 that he finally won a championship.
    Garnett sounded like he didn't want James to make the same mistake.
    James, 25, is in his physical prime. There's no telling when his body will start to pay the price for all the punishment he's taken. Perhaps it already has, evidenced by the the right elbow injury that flared up with four regular-season games remaining and helped derail this season.
    In his seven years, James has reached the playoffs five times, but his only trip to the NBA Finals in 2007 ended with a sweep at the hands of the San Antonio Spurs. The Celtics eliminated the Cavs in the conference semifinals for the second time in three years.
    No matter how James feels about embattled coach Mike Brown, he could also find fault with General Manager Danny Ferry, thinking he didn't surround him with enough talent to win the title. Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison were defensive liabilities. The Cavs have had no real point guard during James' tenure, that fact fresh in James' mind after the playoff performances of the Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose and the Celtics' Rajon Rondo.
    As he recovers from the shock of losing despite the Cavs' finishing with the league's best record for the second consecutive year, owner Dan Gilbert can't make the same mistake as former Browns owner Art Modell and believe one more player (Andre Rison, anyone?) besides James will put them over the top. The Cavs might have to be blown up again, and James might not be willing to wait.
    The Cavs can offer James more money — an extra year estimated to be worth $30 million. But money might not be James' top priority.
    ''First of all I want to win,'' James said Thursday. ''That's my only concern. The Cavs are committed to doing that. But at the same time, I've given myself options to this point. Me and my team have a game plan we're going to execute and we'll see where we're going to be.''
    According to an NBA.com report, the New York Knicks, New Jersey Nets, Los Angeles Clippers, Bulls and Miami Heat have enough money to offer James a five-year, maximum contract. The Bulls or Heat, if they retain Dwyane Wade, might be closer to winning a title with James than the Cavs.
    Asked whether he saw the Cavs as a contender next season, James gave a lukewarm endorsement.
    ''I don't know,'' he said. ''I really don't know everyone's contract situations as far as years and things like that. We're a great team, a really good team, and we played hard all year. We just didn't figure it out through the whole postseason and didn't play consistent basketball. For the most part as a team we all get along. We had a great year.''
    Thoughts turned to free agency immediately after Thursday's Game 6 ended, and Garnett could hardly imagine the hoopla to come. The signing period opens on July 1.
    ''He's the face of basketball,'' Garnett said of James. ''It's gonna be the talk of the summer; everyone's gonna be tuned in. D-Wade and Chris Bosh and all the other solid free agents available, it's gonna be an interesting summer.''
    A young man who looked to be James' age headed back to Akron-Canton airport Friday morning wearing a navy fitted cap that he said was a new design with an old red, white and blue Cavs logo.
    As sharp as the cap looked, he said, ''Might have to get a different one now.''
    Perhaps James merely wants the attention, wants to be fawned over in his free-agent visits before signing with the Cavs to try to deliver his hometown a title.
    He's always been fiercely loyal. But if James takes Garnett's words to heart, the aforementioned young man will be sporting new headgear two months from now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com. Read her Browns blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/. Follow the Browns on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ABJ_Browns. Kevin Garnett's words were haunting, and it had nothing to do with his role in knocking the Cavaliers out of the playoffs.

Garnett, the Boston Celtics forward who turns 34 this week, provided a compelling argument why the Cavs' LeBron James should sign elsewhere in free agency.

''Loyalty is something that hurts you at times because you can't get youth back,'' Garnett said late Thursday night. ''I can honestly say that if I could go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with this organization, I'd have done it a little sooner.

''I don't know what's going through his mind; he's a different individual. I haven't spoken to him or anything, but the world is his.''

Like James, Garnett leaped from high school to the NBA. He spent his first 12 professional seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves and went to the playoffs eight times. But the Timberwolves never got past the first round until Garnett's final season in 2004, when he was voted the league's Most Valuable Player. It wasn't until Garnett signed with the Celtics when he was 31 that he finally won a championship.

Garnett sounded like he didn't want James to make the same mistake.

James, 25, is in his physical prime. There's no telling when his body will start to pay the price for all the punishment he's taken. Perhaps it already has, evidenced by the the right elbow injury that flared up with four regular-season games remaining and helped derail this season.

In his seven years, James has reached the playoffs five times, but his only trip to the NBA Finals in 2007 ended with a sweep at the hands of the San Antonio Spurs. The Celtics eliminated the Cavs in the conference semifinals for the second time in three years.

No matter how James feels about embattled coach Mike Brown, he could also find fault with General Manager Danny Ferry, thinking he didn't surround him with enough talent to win the title. Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison were defensive liabilities. The Cavs have had no real point guard during James' tenure, that fact fresh in James' mind after the playoff performances of the Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose and the Celtics' Rajon Rondo.

As he recovers from the shock of losing despite the Cavs' finishing with the league's best record for the second consecutive year, owner Dan Gilbert can't make the same mistake as former Browns owner Art Modell and believe one more player (Andre Rison, anyone?) besides James will put them over the top. The Cavs might have to be blown up again, and James might not be willing to wait.

The Cavs can offer James more money — an extra year estimated to be worth $30 million. But money might not be James' top priority.

''First of all I want to win,'' James said Thursday. ''That's my only concern. The Cavs are committed to doing that. But at the same time, I've given myself options to this point. Me and my team have a game plan we're going to execute and we'll see where we're going to be.''

According to an NBA.com report, the New York Knicks, New Jersey Nets, Los Angeles Clippers, Bulls and Miami Heat have enough money to offer James a five-year, maximum contract. The Bulls or Heat, if they retain Dwyane Wade, might be closer to winning a title with James than the Cavs.

Asked whether he saw the Cavs as a contender next season, James gave a lukewarm endorsement.

''I don't know,'' he said. ''I really don't know everyone's contract situations as far as years and things like that. We're a great team, a really good team, and we played hard all year. We just didn't figure it out through the whole postseason and didn't play consistent basketball. For the most part as a team we all get along. We had a great year.''

Thoughts turned to free agency immediately after Thursday's Game 6 ended, and Garnett could hardly imagine the hoopla to come. The signing period opens on July 1.

''He's the face of basketball,'' Garnett said of James. ''It's gonna be the talk of the summer; everyone's gonna be tuned in. D-Wade and Chris Bosh and all the other solid free agents available, it's gonna be an interesting summer.''

A young man who looked to be James' age headed back to Akron-Canton airport Friday morning wearing a navy fitted cap that he said was a new design with an old red, white and blue Cavs logo.

As sharp as the cap looked, he said, ''Might have to get a different one now.''

Perhaps James merely wants the attention, wants to be fawned over in his free-agent visits before signing with the Cavs to try to deliver his hometown a title.

He's always been fiercely loyal. But if James takes Garnett's words to heart, the aforementioned young man will be sporting new headgear two months from now.

Lebron is the face of Basketball.Do you agree or disagree?

Comment

His one of them. Kobe is right going off jersey sells and ad revenue. Men lie women lie numbers don't

Comment

Garnett was being nice too damn nice for my liking. Kg =winner with heart and will. James=quitter.

Comment

**** him..Until he win a title, he's nothing but a great regular season player.

Comment

350 million Chinese basketball players would rather be like Kobe than LeBron.

Just sayin...

Comment

its only a matter of time b4 Lebron wins a ring, it may be next year... once he has a legit second option, its a wrap... and only a matter of time b4 they start saying he could be the best ever lmfao just like they do with kobe until kobe gets shut down then they kill that, then when Kobe wins a title they start to bring it up

people have bad memories///

Comment

Originally posted by jump-man View Post
                its only a matter of time b4 Lebron wins a ring, it may be next year... once he has a legit second option, its a wrap... and only a matter of time b4 they start saying he could be the best ever lmfao just like they do with kobe until kobe gets shut down then they kill that, then when Kobe wins a title they start to bring it up

people have bad memories///
                real fans dont forget the guy in your avi tho cheers

Comment

he is but its because they market the **** out of him.

Comment

Working...
                  X