Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here believes Liston hit Harder than Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Liston's punches were sharper and shorter, and he had better timing than George, but IMO Foreman was the hardest puncher in boxing history.
    That's how I'd look at it, Foreman has more strength in his punches but Liston threw better punches, so that made up the difference.

Comment

Wepner fought George when George only had a few fights, while Liston was obviously a fully developed (though past his prime) fighter. Whenever fighter A is KOd faster or more decisively by fighter B than he was fighter C, he will tell everyone C was the harder puncher.

Foreman was a harder and heavier puncher than Liston, while Sonny was the better puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
        Wepner fought George when George only had a few fights, while Liston was obviously a fully developed (though past his prime) fighter. Whenever fighter A is KOd faster or more decisively by fighter B than he was fighter C, he will tell everyone C was the harder puncher.

Foreman was a harder and heavier puncher than Liston, while Sonny was the better puncher.
        Even when Foreman was past his prime at 45, he was still (IMO) the hardest hitter out there. The power he got behing them was like no other!

Comment

I think it's Foreman for sheer raw power. The footage of him hitting the heavybag while preparing for Ali is awesome. Dick Saddler hanging on the bag while Foreman wails away and putting a dent in the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Wepner actually used the words "so much harder" in comparing the two.

And Liston was completely shot when he fought Wepner...

I give the edge to Liston in power, and certainly give him the edge in punching technique.

Have you watched the Liston vs Wepner fight? Liston looked superb, granted the level of competition probably flattered the old boy, but I'd go so far as to say Liston never entered the ring a shot fighter.

He had a good lead on Leotis Martin too, but the shot that stopped him did look pretty meaty.

But agreed, on technique....Liston had Foreman's number.

Power? Close call

Comment

Absolutely spot on. What I've highlighted in bold is so so true......

Comment

post layoff foreman had a bit more craft but pre layoff foreman was crude by the standards of a top flight HW in the greatest era of all time

liston was by far the more crisp and educated puncher

that said, i dont think i've ever seen anybody hit as hard, simply in terms of the force of the blow, as george forman in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Absolutely spot on. What I've highlighted in bold is so so true......
                  the only time I've ever heard someone admit the guy who got rid of them faster hit harder, was Hatton about Pacman.

I mean look what Holmes was saying about Tyson. He said Norton hit harder. like GTFO. You could tell he was full of **** too, trying to find other ways to describe Mike and not give him his dues.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    the only time I've ever heard someone admit the guy who got rid of them faster hit harder, was Hatton about Pacman.

I mean look what Holmes was saying about Tyson. He said Norton hit harder. like GTFO. You could tell he was full of **** too, trying to find other ways to describe Mike and not give him his dues.

Lord, good call about Hatton.

Whether its knockouts, wins or losses. Boxers usually seem to carry more verbal respect for those opponents they looked better against.

Comment

Its generally true,Briggs said VK hit harder than Foreman and Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X