No announcement yet.

Galahad vs Wale - 12/5/12

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galahad vs Wale - 12/5/12

Another one of Hennessy's shows on channel 5 with rising talent, Kid Galahad, headlining the card.

In the other corner is Josh Wale, 14-3-1, a decent fighter who competed in the Super Bantam prizefighter. His last loss came in that tournament against Willie Casey in a 3 round split decision. It's a good, competitive fight but not worthy of being the main event in my opinion.

Galahad lacks any real power but is a good boxer and confuses opponents with his unorthodox style. He's going to win on points or a late stoppage.

Next up is Eubank Jr.

I have been impressed with his progression so far and in his 4th fight he takes on a durable fighter in Harry Matthews, 12-5-1. Apart from his loss to Nick Blackwell ( another fight who could be something special ) he's managed to keep the fights somewhat competitive. Matthews has never been stopped and has been brought in to take Jr rounds. I hope to see Jr showcase his boxing ability at some point en route to becoming the first man to stop Matthews.

Last but certainly not least is the British welterweight title fight between Lynes and Witter. Both men are in the twilight of their careers but this still looks to be a competitive fight.

After these 3 fights the rest of the card is dire. Hennessy isn't maximising the potential that channel 5 holds. He needs to put on cards which are deep with good, competitive fights. Just look at the Maloney card only a week later, that is what the cards should be like on C5. Risks need to be taken in order to attract more people to the sport. Of all the promoters who it could've gone to, why the one with the weakest stable?

Channel 5 is building these guys up for a big fall and also putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on them with the exposure they're getting imo.

Eubanks Jr looks decent but come on he's had just three fights fair enough the win against Alison looked good but no one really knew how good he was. Having a 5 fight unbeaten streak does not mean you're a great fighter at 22.

What could happen here is that they get hyped up so much that if they end up fukin up they might not be able to come back from it which is a shame.

Comment

c5 only shows 2 or 3 fights so stacking the undercard for tv purposes is pointless.

Even if the main event(s) are over quickly they'd rather spend time in the studio hyping up fighters than showing the undercard

Comment

Originally posted by komodo View Post
        Channel 5 is building these guys up for a big fall and also putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on them with the exposure they're getting imo.

Eubanks Jr looks decent but come on he's had just three fights fair enough the win against Alison looked good but no one really knew how good he was. Having a 5 fight unbeaten streak does not mean you're a great fighter at 22.

What could happen here is that they get hyped up so much that if they end up fukin up they might not be able to come back from it which is a shame.
        Compare Eubank Jr to Billy Joe Saunders' resume after as many fights. I agree with Allison being an unknown quantity but he came to fight and had reasonable success against an over eager Eubank Jr.

He's going to receive a lot of hype no matter what because of who his Dad is. But the likes of Galahad and Fury are far from our best prospects. Fury is an entertaining, marketable fighter who has no real boxing ability - just great physical attributes. Galahad isn't going to win fans over either, his style is flashy but he lacks any real power to carry it off.

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
          c5 only shows 2 or 3 fights so stacking the undercard for tv purposes is pointless.

Even if the main event(s) are over quickly they'd rather spend time in the studio hyping up fighters than showing the undercard
          Even the 2 or 3 fights they shown aren't amazing, which is what they should be when an opportunity like this is gifted to a promoter. The undercard doesn't need to be stacked with great fighters rather great fights.

He has quite a poor stable compared to other promoters;

http://www.hennessysports.com/boxers.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Dem Eyes View Post
            Compare Eubank Jr to Billy Joe Saunders' resume after as many fights. I agree with Allison being an unknown quantity but he came to fight and had reasonable success against an over eager Eubank Jr.

He's going to receive a lot of hype no matter what because of who his Dad is. But the likes of Galahad and Fury are far from our best prospects. Fury is an entertaining, marketable fighter who has no real boxing ability - just great physical attributes. Galahad isn't going to win fans over either, his style is flashy but he lacks any real power to carry it off.
            It's not about the resume at this stage. Personally I prefer the young up and coming guys not to face tough opposition to begin with. At this stage they're just learning the pro game, this is a slow process and if you start rushing guys it's detrimental to their progress.

For instance the way Eubank Jr is being promoted now people expect him to fight for a title in his 10-12 fight and there will be the constant pressure of raising the calibre of opponents every time where as if he was being brought up under the radar people would hardly notice him until he's had at least 10-15 fights and been through a number of hard training camps.

Now would you rather have a title fight with 10 training camps under your belt or 20? In boxing the margins are small between success and failure. I just don't think it's wise to hype them up so early. They would be much better boxers if they take their time. Did anyone know Manny or Floyd after a couple of fights? Or any of the great boxers in history.

It's a shame because some of these guys have huge potential but they're being brought up too early....even feel like Chunky would have done much better if they slowed down with him.
            Last edited by komodo; 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

It's not about the resume at this stage. Personally I prefer the young up and coming guys not to face tough opposition to begin with. At this stage they're just learning the pro game, this is a slow process and if you start rushing guys it's detrimental to their progress.

For instance the way Eubank Jr is being promoted now people expect him to fight for a title in his 10-12 fight and there will be the constant pressure of raising the calibre of opponents every time where as if he was being brought up under the radar people would hardly notice him until he's had at least 10-15 fights and been through a number of hard training camps.

Now would you rather have a title fight with 10 training camps under your belt or 20? In boxing the margins are small between success and failure. I just don't think it's wise to hype them up so early. They would be much better boxers if they take their time. Did anyone know Manny or Floyd after a couple of fights? Or any of the great boxers in history.

It's a shame because some of these guys have huge potential but they're being brought up too early....even feel like Chunky would have done much better if they slowed down with him.
              It's impossible to raise a fighter, who is the son of one of our most famous boxers, under the radar. Eubank Jr was a successful amateur, even though he didn't have much of an amateur career. The step-up in competition is a good thing because it never allows a boxer to get comfortable with poor opposition, if you're always testing him he needs to improve otherwise he'll drop off.

Loads of people knew who Floyd was because of his amateur career. A lot of the time ' great ' boxers don't come into the sport following in their father's footsteps.

By the time he hits the 10 - 12 fight record he'll be fighting for minor belts and will probably be in the same position Groves & DeGale are now. As for DeGale, he's not going very far, kid can't even throw a punch properly.

Comment

It's impossible to raise a fighter, who is the son of one of our most famous boxers, under the radar. Eubank Jr was a successful amateur, even though he didn't have much of an amateur career. The step-up in competition is a good thing because it never allows a boxer to get comfortable with poor opposition, if you're always testing him he needs to improve otherwise he'll drop off.

Loads of people knew who Floyd was because of his amateur career. A lot of the time ' great ' boxers don't come into the sport following in their father's footsteps.

By the time he hits the 10 - 12 fight record he'll be fighting for minor belts and will probably be in the same position Groves & DeGale are now. As for DeGale, he's not going very far, kid can't even throw a punch properly.
                Regardless of who his dad is in you honestly think Eubanks Jr or Galahad should be headlining an event? Fact of the matter is they're getting fast tracked and that only harms their ability in the long run.

Comment

Regardless of who his dad is in you honestly think Eubanks Jr or Galahad should be headlining an event? Fact of the matter is they're getting fast tracked and that only harms their ability in the long run.
                  No, I believe in my opening post I stated that the card is weak and neither fight should be headlining or co-main event.

They're not getting fast tracked.

Harry Matthews is a durable but very beatable fighter who is designed to take Eubank Jr several rounds to showcase his ability.

Galahad is in against a decent opponent who is a step down from his previous fight against Jason Booth.

I can't believe you're actually against Eubank Jr and Galahad being put into fights like this at this stage in their careers. Would you rather Eubank Jr fight a 1-59-2 opponent?

They can afford a loss at this stage but they will never but matched with someone who will beat them unless they really aren't as good as we thought.

Instead of looking at the fighters, look towards the promoter, Mick Hennessy. He has a small stable and isn't able to maximise the potential that the channel 5 contract offers. He's doing the best with what he's got.

Comment

No, I believe in my opening post I stated that the card is weak and neither fight should be headlining or co-main event.

They're not getting fast tracked.

Harry Matthews is a durable but very beatable fighter who is designed to take Eubank Jr several rounds to showcase his ability.

Galahad is in against a decent opponent who is a step down from his previous fight against Jason Booth.

I can't believe you're actually against Eubank Jr and Galahad being put into fights like this at this stage in their careers. Would you rather Eubank Jr fight a 1-59-2 opponent?

They can afford a loss at this stage but they will never but matched with someone who will beat them unless they really aren't as good as we thought.

Instead of looking at the fighters, look towards the promoter, Mick Hennessy. He has a small stable and isn't able to maximise the potential that the channel 5 contract offers. He's doing the best with what he's got.
                    Like I said with the coverage they're getting on terrestrial TV people would naturally expect them to increase the level of competition much sooner than they have to. I don’t think any of the opponents they've faced so far are anywhere near their level but this will change real soon with the exposure that they are getting.

My main problem is the added pressure that they might face as a result and if they end up being exposed it might be much harder for them to come back from. I believe that there is no substitute for time when it comes to development and the invaluable experience that can only be obtained through time and hard camps and I don't think anyone can argue with that.

I'm not saying that the mentioned guys are destined to fail just pointing out that with the advantages that comes with high levels of exposure there is also a downside that could work against the fighters especially at this early stage in their careers.

Comment

Working...
                    X