Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parkinson's disease likely for Hatton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkinson's disease likely for Hatton?

By Abac Cordero Updated May 11, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The knockout that Ricky Hatton suffered in the heavy hands of Manny Pacquiao was no ordinary knockout.

Because in the eyes of a medical expert, the pride of Manchester who went down cold after taking a solid left hook to the jaw showed signs of seizure while he lay motionless on the canvas.

Dr. Rolando Jeremillo Jr., an ortho surgeon and medical director of the Ambica Biotechnologies here in the Philippines, is no boxing expert. But he surely knows his way around the brutal sport.

“I’ve seen a lot of knockouts, and some big ones, too. But what Ricky Hatton suffered was a different one. It was a scary knockout,” said Jeremillo, who saw the fight live on pay-per-view.

“There are knockouts where the boxers fall hard and wobble on the way up. And there are knockouts of this kind, where the boxers, in this case Hatton, lose consciousness for a brief time.”

Based on his observation, Hatton appeared to have lost his consciousness even before he hit the blue canvas of the MGM Grand that was packed to the rafters. His eyes rolled, breathed heavily and hardly moved for some time.

“To me, it looked like a seizure right there and then,” observed Jeremillo.

No wonder Hatton’s fiancée, Jennifer Dooley, was almost hysterical at ringside, being consoled by the girlfriend of the boxer’s brother, Matthew. His parents, Ray and Carol, were also at ringside.

A seizure, according to wikipedia, can last few seconds, and are often associated with a sudden and involuntary contraction of a group of muscles and loss of consciousness.

As Pacquiao and his fans celebrated, ring physicians attended to Hatton who appeared to be in a very dangerous state. It took a few minutes before he managed to get up.

He was later taken to the Valley Hospital in Las Vegas, underwent brain scan and few other tests before being cleared. The day after he was at the pool area of the MGM, cooling off.

Jeremillo can only hope that the worst is over for Hatton. He said punches like that may cause Parkinson’s disease, the same one which fighters like Muhammad Ali or even Freddie Roach suffers from.

“It may come 10 or 20 years from now. But even if Hatton retires tomorrow, he just became a candidate for Parkinson’s (a disease that causes movement disorders),” said Jeremillo.
    Last edited by rocky_balboa23; 05-10-2009, 06:47 PM.

Maybe he shouldn't binge and gain so much weight between fights then and have no ****ing gameplan. I have no sympathy for him his performance out there was pathetic and im a Brit..

Comment

any fighter can suffer post career brain damage. Some fighters take an ungodly amount of punishment and never show it, others who didn't seem to get hit to bad go senile...

Comment

Originally posted by snootz86 View Post
        Maybe he shouldn't binge and gain so much weight between fights then and have no ****ing gameplan. I have no sympathy for him his performance out there was pathetic and im a Brit..
        Come on..it was really a scary scene out there..U shud be proud of Hatton..he has fans like no one else..

Comment

Being selfish i dont want Hatton to quit because there are some fights i would like to see in him and against certain people. Khan being the main one.
          But after hearing that from the Doc, i think it would be best for hatton to retire. I think all that drinking has made him chinny. Dehydrated his brain or something like that so he cant take a punch, or at least a punch has a seriouser effect on him.

It cant get any better now for hatton. He will be easier to knock out.

Comment

Ricky needs to hang em up. He has had a fantastic career and only lost to the two best fighters in the world. It's obvious he doesn't want to go out that way though.

Comment

Oh well thats something nice to look forawrd to then.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky_balboa23 View Post
                Come on..it was really a scary scene out there..U shud be proud of Hatton..he has fans like no one else..
                I was untill that performance, it was just terrible after the Mayweather defeat (which he did ok in) he went on about how he went back to "old rick hatton, no game plan etc" in that fight. Then before the pacman fight he talks again how he will have head movement, move a bit etc, at fight night.. none of this

Comment

Man I hope that he doesn't get Parkinsons! It kills me to see Ali the way he is, would hate it to happen to Ricky!!

Comment

Originally posted by snootz86 View Post
                    I was untill that performance, it was just terrible after the Mayweather defeat (which he did ok in) he went on about how he went back to "old rick hatton, no game plan etc" in that fight. Then before the pacman fight he talks again how he will have head movement, move a bit etc, at fight night.. none of this
                    I was looking forward to a great fight as well but deep in my heart I know it would be a quick fight..both have good power..unfortunately for him he got caught bad..he shud hae adjusted in the 2nd round..but **** the KO was scary..he was out even before he hit the canvass..then his head was moving involuntarily when he was already down..

Comment

Working...
                    X