Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacquiao vs. Cotto: Same as Margarito-Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao vs. Cotto: Same as Margarito-Cotto?

Pacquiao vs. Cotto: Same as Margarito-Cotto?
    By Saad Farooqi: Brutal fights. If there is anything that defines Cotto’s career for the past two years it’s that. From Antonio Margarito, to Joshua Clottey to Manny Pacquiao, it was 12 rounds of blood and swelling for the Puerto Rican fighter. And he took the brunt in all three of them.

Now, while I will in no ways try to undermine or discredit Manny Pacquiao’s greatness, I want to say one thing as clearly as possible: the beating Miguel took from Manny is in no way or form comparable to the one he took from Margarito. Once the referee stopped the fight on the 14th of this month Miguel was battered and horribly swollen but it wasn’t a bloody mess like he was in the Margarito fight.
    He was bleeding, yes. He was swollen horribly, yes. In the Margarito fight, however, Miguel had a broken nose, busted lips, damaged cheek bones, broken ribs and was bleeding from his nose, mouth and even his ears. Miguel against Margarito could barely speak. Miguel against Manny said it like it is, “I’m just badly swollen”.

So that much should be obvious: Miguel’s condition was not similar to the Margarito fight. Period.

While hyperbole sells well, the problem with this particular one is that it’s taking the blame from Margarito and planting it unjustly in Miguel’s lap. All of a sudden, it’s Miguel’s fault that he cuts and swells so easily while Margarito is getting a respite. That’s ridiculous. The bloodying of Cotto was one of the things brought to the table against Margarito since no welterweight can do what he did. Now I firmly believe that all men deserve to make a livelihood, but that said, when a man puts another man’s life in danger needlessly I’m willing to make an exception. Margarito was caught trying to cheat against Mosley. That is an undeniable fact.

Whether he used it against Miguel Cotto is besides the point. He was caught red-handed doing something that could have potentially ended not his opponent’s career but may have ruined or ended his life. That deserves no excuses. To echo Miguel’s words, Antonio Margarito should be banned for life. No excuses.

Him allowed to box again is an affront to the sport and the men and women who put so much on the line to do what they do.

Miguel showed sooo much heart in Clottey fight and Pacquiao fight. Whether we believe he used plaster in fights before Margarito is in debate. What we do know is Margarito CHEATED.
Working...
X