No announcement yet.

Rejected by more jobs applications

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeiXiang View Post
    I'm legally qualified looking for a trainee lawyer position. I have all the qualifications in the world yet no luck in getting anyway. My industry sucks the most. You can't bullshit your way in the legal profession unless you sleep with the partner (if he's closet gay that is).
    You gotta be joking me, maybe this is why you not getting hired, you NEED to BS them so they know you can be good.

Have you tried going to EVERY SINGLE Lawyer in your city and talking to them? Thought so.

Go into EVERY SINGLE LAWYERS office and try to talk to the actual lawyer, dont talk to the secretary.

You just dont want to work hard enough, you probably apply to some places online and just wait for magical email that you have teh jobs!

Comment

we're looking to hire, but nobody wants to work nowadays. straight commissions and people hang up on me all the time. i don't believe people really want to work nowadays, they want to get a cushy salary and not do shi t.

I've done all kinds of different options. hired guys on salary, then they do nothing but fuk around. hired on salary plus commission, and the salary goes away after 8 weeks. they all without fail, bounced after 8-10 weeks.

if you really want a job and want to make dough, go get you a commission job, you can make all kindsa money and when you start making money, no one ever fuks with you, cuz you're making them money. and they are always hiring

if not, get a job at a restaurant, lie on your resume, lie in person, do whatever it takes,. you have to look at the job qualifications and figure out exactly what they're looking for and make that YOU. you are that person. don't just fill out the app with the same shi t every time. your resume should be tailored to every job you put it in for, not just a standard resume you send in for everything.

here's a tip. lets say you're going in for an interview with whatever job (and GET AN INTERVIEW, NEVER just turn in an application, i dont care if you have to stand out front of the business all day). lets just say its for a, i dont know, a job at ups for instance. you go to everyone you ever knew that worked at ups or talk to the guy who delivers ups in your neighborhood. ask them about it, ask them what they're looking for, ask if you can use them as a reference. if its a friend, make up a title for them and give ups their cell. they could have worked at fed ex or whatever. you gotta be creative and do what other people aren't doing.

oh, and when you talk to people who are doing or have done that job before, use that info in the interview. don't tell them where you got the info, unless you're lying and saying that you had that job before (which I've also done)

anyway, thats all i have time for. no excuses. get a fookin job.

Comment

I'm legally qualified looking for a trainee lawyer position. I have all the qualifications in the world yet no luck in getting anyway. My industry sucks the most. You can't bullshit your way in the legal profession unless you sleep with the partner (if he's closet gay that is).
        Yonge has it down pact and is giving solid advice. Your job until you find one, is a sales person. You are selling YOU! The problem is, there is a lot of competition. I'll compare it to T.V infomercials. Lets take that slap chopping kitchen devise. What if there were 1000 different companies with the same slapper and they all had an infomercial about it? What are the chances one would be picked over the other? Now you need a "slapper" right? Lets say somebody comes and knocks on your door with a "slapper" Do you order the one from one of the thousand informercials, or the one who came to you?

Comment

More unemployed means more competition. Employers are in a position where they can be very picky.

Comment

Whilst I appreciate all the advice that is being given, I'd like to say it's easier said than done. The legal profession is really tough and unless you've been to Law School or in the industry, you will have no idea just how different it is to other positions and just how hard it is to crack. Law isn't something you can bull**** at - the Partners will grill you down to a pulp. You never lie - or risk your career going down the drain - word spreads. The elusive, "Training Contract" is a 2-year contract which will qualify you fully as a lawyer. You will be paid half your salary in the first year, which will double on qualification.

Paralegals, such as myself, need the legal experience so we will usually work for free or next to nothing (cleaners get more than us). The law firms know we need the experience (there's no discussion on this), so they'll exploit us. Paralegals are suitably qualified usually and we'll be doing exactly what a lawyer does except we're not given the label, "lawyer" because we haven't received the "training contract". It's a catch-22 situation. They know that if they give us the training contract, they'll have to double our salary on qualification so they'll continue to exploit paralegals promising a training contract if we work hard - lies all of it, every lawyer will tell you how difficult it was to get it.

I am trying my hardest to get somewhere. It's not that i'm not good enough - we all are. There's just too much competition - equivalent to 1000 training contracts and about 10 times that amount of candidates.

Originally posted by Yonge
            Go into EVERY SINGLE LAWYERS office and try to talk to the actual lawyer, dont talk to the secretary.
            Try doing that at Slaughter & May or Clifford Chance. Guaranteed, security will be on your ass in 10 seconds and also you risk of humiliating yourself in front of thousands of lawyers - don't forget, word gets out. You can't go around like that being demanding, there are certain things in the legal profession that you just do not do and that's certainly one of them.
            Last edited by MeiXiang; 09-29-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Whilst I appreciate all the advice that is being given, I'd like to say it's easier said than done. The legal profession is really tough and unless you've been to Law School or in the industry, you will have no idea just how different it is to other positions and just how hard it is to crack. Law isn't something you can bull**** at - the Partners will grill you down to a pulp. You never lie - or risk your career going down the drain - word spreads. The elusive, "Training Contract" is a 2-year contract which will qualify you fully as a lawyer. You will be paid half your salary in the first year, which will double on qualification.

Paralegals, such as myself, need the legal experience so we will usually work for free or next to nothing (cleaners get more than us). The law firms know we need the experience (there's no discussion on this), so they'll exploit us. Paralegals are suitably qualified usually and we'll be doing exactly what a lawyer does except we're not given the label, "lawyer" because we haven't received the "training contract". It's a catch-22 situation. They know that if they give us the training contract, they'll have to double our salary on qualification so they'll continue to exploit paralegals promising a training contract if we work hard - lies all of it, every lawyer will tell you how difficult it was to get it.

I am trying my hardest to get somewhere. It's not that i'm not good enough - we all are. There's just too much competition - equivalent to 1000 training contracts and about 10 times that amount of candidates.

Try doing that at Slaughter & May or Clifford Chance. Guaranteed, security will be on your ass in 10 seconds and also you risk of humiliating yourself in front of thousands of lawyers - don't forget, word gets out. You can't go around like that being demanding, there are certain things in the legal profession that you just do not do and that's certainly one of them.
              **** that. if I had even a hint of suspicion that the above was a common assumption. I would be in that office suit and tie "making and ass out of myself" the very next day, and then the following if need be. If nothing else and you are right (the word gets out) everybody in that city would know who the "go-getter" was.

Comment

Originally posted by KingDosia View Post
                **** that. if I had even a hint of suspicion that the above was a common assumption. I would be in that office suit and tie "making and ass out of myself" the very next day, and then the following if need be. If nothing else and you are right (the word gets out) everybody in that city would know who the "go-getter" was.
                Sorry mate - I don't even understand what you wrote. All I'm saying is that if you do things like this, you will be known in the legal sphere as the desperate guy. You can't show desperation professionally - no one will hire you.
                The method of going up to the lawyers and/or cold calling is tried and tested - if it were that simple, I wouldn't be complaining. We're not living in the 50s. Everything - especially in the legal industry - is done by online application and I'm not talking about a simple form.
                Last edited by MeiXiang; 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Sorry mate - I don't even understand what you wrote. All I'm saying is that if you do things like this, you will be known in the legal sphere as the desperate guy. You can't show desperation professionally - no one will hire you.
                  The method of going up to the lawyers and/or cold calling is tried and tested - if it were that simple, I wouldn't be complaining. We're not living in the 50s. Everything - especially in the legal industry - is done by online application and I'm not talking about a simple form.
                  You are confused there is a big difference between "desperation" and "determination". But go ahead and keep making excuses, keep acting cool or "not desperate" and keep making threads about unemployment then. You've had two people who have a perspective on hiring, tell you how people get hired is all I'm saying.
                  I'm out.

Comment

the bold is your first problem. complaining about it being hard, wah. you're discouraged and you have no confidence.
                    1) you should go get ANY job if you have no job. who would you rather hire?
                    a) guy who has no job and is just looking
                    b) guy who has a job that he's working in to support himself until he gets an in at the job he wants?

find people who work at these firms and grill them, find out what the partners want.

applications? lawyers? if you just put an application in then the partners are laughing at you, lawyers like tenacity and people who challenge them, i have a number of lawfirms that I work with.

Comment

Also, thats how Paralegals work, you do realize Lawyers straight out of a NON TOP 5 school work 80 hours a week for like $20k a year? Thats lawyers, who passed a bar exam. The only lawyers that can even make some money in their first years is if they graduated top of their class from a top 5 school and get recruited by a big firm.

The rest of the real lawyers with diploma's will either be working for some crappy charity for $13 an hour or working 80 hour weeks in a small lawfirm for next to nothing.

This is how they build their names.

Now you are a paralegal, you know what I would do? Go visit every single lawyer in your city, talk to them about getting a job and say you desperatly want it, dont take no for an answer. and stop with the "it will make me look bad". Who are you again? You're not even a lawyer, you have no reputation, Lawyers like determined people who dont quit and are willing to do ANYTHING to get the job.

Keep showing up at their offices everyday, tell them you will work for FREE for them, just to show you are good (this is a bluff, you wont actually work for FREE but you will get a low salary for your first 6 months or first year).

You are just lazy and not willing to gut it out, you have no reputation, you have no degree, but keep thinking that without a degree you are going to apply for jobs on the internet and a Lawyer will magically accept you. thats BS.

Im willing to bet that a guy who is less qualified than you can get a job much faster because he has his boots on the ground abusing Lawyers 24/7 and hassling them until they give you a job.

WHATS THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU? THEY CAN SAY "NO", You say TY and move on to the next guy and remind the guy who said "NO" in a month that you are still in need of a JOB.

People are just lazy, you can drop people off in ANY city on earth and they will be able to find jobs, most people who dont have jobs just make excuses like "oh herr the economy busted" its all a lie, there's tons of places that ALWAYS hire.

Even me im very picky where I worked, my conditions were 1) no retail 2) no telemarketing/sales 3) no fast food.

You know what I did? I walked around my area and visited every factory and hassled them until I got a job, the place where I got a job wasnt even hiring anyone but thought I might have been some use for them.

That Internet stuff is BS, 90% of the postings are going thru a Employement agency that is just building a talent pool of tens of thousands resumes and the other 10% of the postings get thousands of replies, in my experience the only legit internet jobs are those that ARE SPECIALIZED, ie: a nanothermite engineer with a degree in (etc etc etc) with experience in (bla bla).
                      Last edited by Joseph Stalin; 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X