No announcement yet.

Greatest Title DEFENSE who have ever watched

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
    I just don't know how somebody could refer to themselves as a 'boxing fan' and not know anything about Thomas Hearns. His era wasn't technically my era, either. I was born a month after his second fight with Leonard.
    Some are not as bright as you...

They just think floyd's the greatest, or gamboa is the truth but have no idea about the legacy of the sport....

Comment

Originally posted by I hate spammers
      most fans of any sport only care about there era and what you can see live, you dont criticize a football fan because you can list all the players on the '77 team of the dallas cowboys do you?
      Knowing the most notable fighters of one of the greatest eras of boxing isn't quite the same as that. It would probably be closer to not knowing who Scottie Pippen or Charles Barkley are as a basketball fan.

Comment

the one that left the biggest impression on the night was Tyson-Spinks. I was expecting Spinks to spoil and hold towards a decision loss, not for Tyson to destroy this legend.

In retrospect not that big seeing how Spinks just gave up. But it felt like the end of a 'slick, skills and speed' era in hw boxing and the start of a brutish new muscular one. Schwarzernegger and Stallone were now in vogue, slim heroes were out. And I began spending too much time in the gym for a little lad.

most exciting fight to watch was Hearns Hagler. Often compared with, but few ever came close.
        Last edited by DreamFighter; 06-04-2013, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by I hate spammers
          most fans of any sport only care about there era and what you can see live, you dont criticize a football fan because you can list all the players on the '77 team of the dallas cowboys do you?

Not really into all the foozball sh^te, so I can't comment on that. I would still expect any self-respecting boxing fan to be fully aware and familiar with one of the greatest, most exciting fighters of the last 40-50 years, though.

Comment

Nigel Benn defending his WBC super middleweight title for the eighth time against Gerald McClellan and getting knocked out of the ring in the first round and coming back to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

They just think floyd's the greatest, or gamboa is the truth but have no idea about the legacy of the sport....
              Any new boxing fan should have a checklist of fights to watch Hearns Hagler tops the list imo then the Thrilla in Manilla and on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
                Not really into all the foozball sh^te, so I can't comment on that. I would still expect any self-respecting boxing fan to be fully aware and familiar with one of the greatest, most exciting fighters of the last 40-50 years, though.
                Rarely agree with you but here i do,how can you say a guy is an atg if you dont know your history and with boxing its so deep and rich even a hardcore like myself uncovers a fighter that i knew little of from time to time honestly i am just starting to dig into the fly weights and boy there are some great scraps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

My buddy actually said to me Floyds the best ever he would school Srl my god was i embarrassed for him he has no clue.Just wondering i cant recall Sr ever compairing his son to leonard that would be interesting.

Comment

I was pumped when Hagler defended against Mugabi. It doesn't stand up to the Hearns defense but it was a fight that should have an honorable mention. They both threw and landed bombs. Everybody thought that Mugabi was just a crude slugger but he could box. Mugabi represented his country in the '84 Olympics earning a bronze medal I believe................ Rockin'

Comment

Mugabi was having his greatest success in that fight by essentially counter-punching against Hagler. A slugger with some real thought and craft in his work.

Comment

Working...
                      X