Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez and Miguel Cotto could spoil an epic fight between Mayweather and PAC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez and Miguel Cotto could spoil an epic fight between Mayweather and PAC

Forget blood testing, the possibility of moving up in weight could be the next hurdle that derails the epic encounter between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. The public and the media might have to wait a little longer because there are two other fighters who could entice Pacman and Pretty Boy to go in a different direction.

Sergio Martinez and Miguel Cotto's names are being tossed around as strong candidates for potential matchups for Pacquiao and Mayweather Jr. However, both Cotto and Martinez have their own hoops to jump through before they could potentially fight on boxing's biggest stage.
    Sergio Martinez
    To the mainstream, Sergio Martinez might not be a big name. In fact, many 'average' boxing fans have barely even heard of the guy. So, when hearing that Mayweather Jr could face Sergio instead of Manny, these fans become easily irritated and many automatically blame Floyd Jr. But, slow down all those who want to toss Sergio under the bus and proclaim him as a 'nobody'.
    Sergio is a champion in 2 weight classes with only 2 losses on his resume. His most recent fight saw him defeat Kelly Pavlik for the WBC and WBO middleweight titles. Unfortunately for those like me who want to see a Martinez/Mayweather fight, Sergio is in limbo waiting to see if Kelly will invoke his rematch clause. When asked about a potential fight, both Martinez and Mayweather Jr acknowledged the possibility:
    "Absolutely I would fight Pavlik first, and then, Mayweather second It would be a great fight. It would not be about the belts, but about the fight said Martinez. I think it would be an exciting fight to see two of the best fighters in the world fight each other in their prime" Sergio Martinez, Fanhouse
    "It's possible" Mayweather Jr, Newsday

Miguel Cotto
    The mentioning of Cotto's name in a potential rematch with Pacquiao has drawn a lot of criticism. Here's a sample of some who despise this idea:
    Darryl L. Sacramento, CA "Manny already destroyed Cotto, why would we want to see this again?"
    Jerry P. Oak Park, CA "Cotto is a bum. Manny exposed him last November."
    Hank B. Sacramento, CA "A fight between Miguel and Manny would be a waste of time."
    Chuck H. Roseville, CA "Anything other than Manny and Floyd would be a slap in the face to all boxing fans."
    I've got plenty more negative comments from boxing fans who are disgusted with a potential rematch against Manny. But, I'm here to tell you guys it's not that bad. In fact, it can be a really good thing for Manny.
    If Cotto defeats Yuri Foreman on June 5th, Cotto will win the WBA light middleweight title. Which means, Manny would have the opportunity to fight for an 8th world title in an 8th different weight class. This is adding to a historical feat that nobody will ever be able to duplicate and further cementing Manny as one of the greatest boxers of all-time. Legacy, 8th world title, and boxing immortality aren't things to frown upon. These are the main reasons boxers fight unless you are Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    For more on the potential Manny vs. Miguel rematch, check out my article: Bye, Bye Floyd Mayweather Jr, Manny Pacquiao moving up in weight to go for an 8th world title?
    Conclusion
    Nether Miguel or Martinez would be an easy fight for Manny or Floyd. Boxing has rematches all the time. It's not like a Manny vs. Miguel fight would be a black mark on either man's career. And before the Floyd Jr critics start beating their drums that Floyd is 'cherry-picking' if he were to face Sergio, please put your drums down and watch some of Sergio's fights especially his last two against Pavlik and Paul Williams. Sergio could legitimately give Floyd his toughest fight yet. In my opinion, there's more to boxing than just Manny vs. Floyd.

LINK

There's a lot of ******ed boxing fans out there.

Cotto/Pac 2 is a great fight. Now that Cotto can weigh 54' and has a new trainer the rematch would be awesome.

The first 6 rounds were FOTY material.

Comment

I'd rather see Pac take on Bradley, but that doesn't make "cents".

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Buffman View Post
        There's a lot of ******ed boxing fans out there.

Cotto/Pac 2 is a great fight. Now that Cotto can weigh 54' and has a new trainer the rematch would be awesome.

The first 6 rounds were FOTY material.
        Pacs team already made a suggestion of a catchweight of 150!! ****ing sad

Comment

Working...
        X