No announcement yet.

Groves: Booth dropped me via text message

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groves: Booth dropped me via text message

George Groves has come out and said Adam Booth dropped him via text message, but that it didn't really come as a surprise.

"Adam informed me by text that he didn’t want to train me anymore, he said our working relationship was over," Groves told Talk Sport.

"I’ve got a big fight coming up, so I needed to find a new trainer and I’m very, very fortunate to now be working with Paddy Fitzpatrick.

"I’ve worked with Paddy before, so nothing’s really new to me, there’s no need for that period when you need to build a bit of chemistry.

"It’s exciting times for me really."

When the unbeaten super middleweight was asked if he saw it coming, the 25-year old was not really that shocked.

"Not really, we had a close working relationship, so you get to know people pretty well. What appears to be happening on the outside isn’t always what’s going on in-house.

"It was a little bit of rearranging if anything, it only took a couple of days and I’m more than happy with my current situation.

"Knowing Carl Froch and how insecure he is, I’m sure the news brought joy to him ahead of our fight. He said to me in a press conference, ‘oh where’s your trainer?’, and I just told him not to worry about it.

"He was so eager to spread the news that he told you guys."

Here's the interview with talksport: http://talksport.com/boxing/exclusiv...ck-13092461463

I definitely think this is a strange situation.

Booth probably just doesn't want to be associated with a high profile knock-out loss.

Comment

It is pretty weird, if anything i thought it would be groves that left because why would Booth walk away?

Comment

The story that I heard was that it was over money. Booth was both manager and trainer. Groves wanted to be self managed.

Comment

Possibly Groves didn't want to pay Booth a percentage of the purse but rather the same fixed amount that he's been paying in the past on a per fight basis. This is a world title fight with Groves biggest purse to date, he should have really paid Booth a percentage to reflect all the training he's provided up to this point. Instead he possibly wants to pay Booth the same figure as before, as if it was any old fight. It's just a wild guess but that's how I'm reading the situation based on the extremely sparse info provided so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            It is pretty weird, if anything i thought it would be groves that left because why would Booth walk away?
            I heard that Booth was unhappy with Groves' workrate, and he was getting to big-headed and wasn't listening like he used to.

It had nothing to do with Money, Booth is still Groves' manager.

Comment

I wonder if it's Booth trying to put Groves down in an attempt to get the absolute best from him? I know that might sound counterintuative people can be motivated in different ways though.

Comment

It's unfortunate because when Groves is at his best, he is really good at sticking to a gameplan..and i think booth is decent at coming up with them. Had a lot of confidence in the team as it pertains to this fight, guess he didnt feel the same lol...wierd split so close to the bout.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
                  I wonder if it's Booth trying to put Groves down in an attempt to get the absolute best from him? I know that might sound counterintuative people can be motivated in different ways though.
                  I think it's more likely he didn't want to be associated with a big KO loss or something like that. I can't imagine it's an attempt to motivate him but hey, who knows... this is a pretty strange sport at times

Comment

very very strange

Its almost as if its all false and grooves is really getting trained by booth so froch becomes complacent.

Comment

Working...
                    X