Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a prime Frank Bruno do in today's HW scene?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved Frank Bruno. His career ran from when I was 13 up to 27 - the perfect age for hero worship.

But I knew from the Witherspoon fight (maybe earlier) that he wasn't proper championship material. He just never learnt how to breathe/relax properly & if he didn't get you out of there early - only 7 of his 40 wins came after the 5th round - it was like driving after the "Fill Tank" sign comes on in your car.

But he was great. A proper character. I was at White Hart Lane for the Bugner fight. And the day he beat Oliver McCall I had been at an afternoon party for one of my friends kids & was E'd out of my nut. We all were. It was brilliant fun to watch but **** were we nervous in those last few rounds. Watching Nigel Benn at ringside was great too.

Ironically, that fight was on Lennox Lewis's 30th birthday.

It's a great shame that his life hasn't been as good as it should since he retired.

Back to the question, I can't see him beating the Wlad of today. He might (at his best) beat the Vitali of today. On the other hand he could well beat the Wlad of 10 years ago, but not the Vitali that lost so gallantly to Lennox (or up to 2 years ago).

He & Chisora would be fun. Not just the fight but the build up too.

Comment

Funnily enough there is not a decent Frank Bruno highlights video on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend
        Funnily enough there is not a decent Frank Bruno highlights video on Youtube.
        No laugh compilation either

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

He would KO everyone including the Klitschko's and Haye. He didn't have that great of a chin, but compared to Wlad's and haye's it was granite, he packed quite a punch as well, I remember in one of the exchanges with Tyson he cracked Mike with a good shot and Mike was rattled quite bad. He would munch up Haye, Wladamir and old man Vitali. In VK's prime it would be a bit different though.

Comment

I've often pondered this question.

Poor bastard, existing in an era with prime Tyson and the ****sexual Jamaican.

Comment

A prime Brune would do REALLY well in today's heavyweight scene. He would beat everyone other than the Klitschko's and on his day would be capable of causing an upset and beating them. Haye would not be happy with Bruno's stiff jab being rammed in his face and Bruno had lots of power more than enough to take him out.

Comment

Top3-5.

Would not beat either Klitschko if they're near their prime. Could possibly beat this old man Vitali but i'm leaning towards Vitali.

I think he'd beat most of the other contenders but he'd lose here and there.

Comment

Top5.
                  I would choose Haye over him.

Comment

prime Bruno was when he matured and learnt to not panic and fear opponents.

He would destroy most of the HWs of today except those with granite chins, perhaps Vitali would last the distance. Bruno would emphatically knock out Wlad as soon as he engaged, but lets be honest Wlad would wait till Bruno was at least 40 before offering him a fight so he could run from him and outgass him.

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                    I would choose Haye over him.
                    too much detail there. not that kind of thread.

Comment

He was a bad holder and hitter and wrestler and mauler. He got away with it in England so he could easily win a belt there. He would have a harder time getting away with those tatics outside of the UK. He was a very strong but not very skillful. He could probably beat a weak champion but Wlad would KO him because he was so easy to hit. He would be one of the best in the UK. and he would be a top 10 contender and probably win an easy belt.

Comment

Working...
                      X