No announcement yet.

mike tyson style defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike tyson style defense

you guys all know how mike tyson fights... his peekaboo style defense... i was just wondering if you guys have any tips pointers... he bobs and weaves to get into the inside.. and uses his jab to get inside... are there anything else to know? i want to learn how to use this kind of defense... i know versatile2k fights like him... would you care to give me some pointers please? thanks!

Originally posted by madkatzspeed
    you guys all know how mike tyson fights... his peekaboo style defense... i was just wondering if you guys have any tips pointers... he bobs and weaves to get into the inside.. and uses his jab to get inside... are there anything else to know? i want to learn how to use this kind of defense... i know versatile2k fights like him... would you care to give me some pointers please? thanks!

my guess is im the ONLY 1 that can help u,since im probably the only 1 that consistantly does it. ne 1 else would be jus visualizing what to do.and i've done it. ne way what is the first thing u wanna know

Comment

Uh, vers, I'm right there with ya. I'm a 5'9" light heavyweight with arms like an orangutan (30" inseam and 36" sleeve), and as such, I fight inside. I use the peekaboo about 90% of the time. My gloves stay pretty much glued to my headgear, my knees are always bent (I jump rope in a squat) and I weave and slip like a mother****er. I hadn't ever seen Tyson fight -- I just took up boxing this year -- but people were immediately comparing my style to his. . . . sometimes unfavorably. "Yo, what you, INSANE? You gonna get killed."

I don't have the experience that versatile has, but speaking as a noob: what I've found works well for me offensively is throwing the jab and cross while slipping, kind of bending my body to get out of the way and adding some power to the punch with my core muscles in the bargain -- I can hit with either hand when slipping either way; it took me a couple of solid weeks working out in front of a mirror to figure this out. It looks weird but works good, and it frustrates your opponent, as you're moving while throwing -- it not only makes your attack vectors unorthodox but it makes your punches a ***** to counter: you're not where you were when you threw the punch. I'm also a southpaw so it really screws people up.

Also, learn to integrate the uppercut with your weave -- duck the punch and come up laying into him; use your momentum.

Defensively, I slip and weave a lot -- like, a LOT -- and since I come from a fencing background, I parry quite a bit, also while moving. If I stop moving, I get the **** beaten out of me on the spot. In fact, I find that when I'm sparring, my opponents often wait for me to stop moving before they throw anything more than a single counter.

The last thing -- again, from my limited experience but just what is working for me in this style -- is that it takes Godloads of endurance to pull this off. It is far more physically demanding than being a rangy, static fighter. If you have the physique that you don't need to do this, I'd say go another route.

Vers, I'm open to suggestions on all of the above, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat
        Uh, vers, I'm right there with ya. I'm a 5'9" light heavyweight with arms like an orangutan (30" inseam and 36" sleeve), and as such, I fight inside. I use the peekaboo about 90% of the time. My gloves stay pretty much glued to my headgear, my knees are always bent (I jump rope in a squat) and I weave and slip like a mother****er. I hadn't ever seen Tyson fight -- I just took up boxing this year -- but people were immediately comparing my style to his. . . . sometimes unfavorably. "Yo, what you, INSANE? You gonna get killed."

I don't have the experience that versatile has, but speaking as a noob: what I've found works well for me offensively is throwing the jab and cross while slipping, kind of bending my body to get out of the way and adding some power to the punch with my core muscles in the bargain -- I can hit with either hand when slipping either way; it took me a couple of solid weeks working out in front of a mirror to figure this out. It looks weird but works good, and it frustrates your opponent, as you're moving while throwing -- it not only makes your attack vectors unorthodox but it makes your punches a ***** to counter: you're not where you were when you threw the punch. I'm also a southpaw so it really screws people up.

Also, learn to integrate the uppercut with your weave -- duck the punch and come up laying into him; use your momentum.

Defensively, I slip and weave a lot -- like, a LOT -- and since I come from a fencing background, I parry quite a bit, also while moving. If I stop moving, I get the **** beaten out of me on the spot. In fact, I find that when I'm sparring, my opponents often wait for me to stop moving before they throw anything more than a single counter.

The last thing -- again, from my limited experience but just what is working for me in this style -- is that it takes Godloads of endurance to pull this off. It is far more physically demanding than being a rangy, static fighter. If you have the physique that you don't need to do this, I'd say go another route.

Vers, I'm open to suggestions on all of the above, BTW.
        wow u havnt seen tyson fight well ne way yeah it does take alot of endurance to pull off tyson's style,alot of ppl dont know this and think why in the hell r they getting tired already.

But for me to get inside i either throw a small jab and make a ducking u to hurry and get in,and since im practically ducking to get in,my legs r bend which would give me full levarage on my power shots.always bending your knees is a very hard task to do.so i only do it when i know im about to go in that way i can get all that leverage on my legs when coming up.

hell even sometimes when im tryin to come in i jus feint in, i have very quick feet for some1 my size so that might not be for every1, or jus bob and weave inside and throw the lead hook

Comment

OK, I just did some shadowboxing in front of my mirror. I guess a couple of weird things about my style are the facing: almost square, which makes sense for me b/c I'm functionally ambidextrous; and the constant motion: it's like I move into the punch, using the motion to land it hard even when it's short from being in close. I also tend to turn my body quite a bit even though my feet are square, right foot less than a foot forward from the left (southpaw stance), toes nearly forward. I also tend to pivot and retreat instead of going straight back, and attack at the oblique, stepping forward and throwing the jab and cross with my body turned one direction or another. I can hook with either hand when moving right or left. These are probably bad habits but I have turned them into a workable -- and, I imagine, unique -- fighting style.

So madkatz, what I'm getting at is, you may not want to listen to me after all.

I wish I had a video camera, or a phone that wasn't from the stone age, so I could show you what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat
            OK, I just did some shadowboxing in front of my mirror. I guess a couple of weird things about my style are the facing: almost square, which makes sense for me b/c I'm functionally ambidextrous; and the constant motion: it's like I move into the punch, using the motion to land it hard even when it's short from being in close. I also tend to turn my body quite a bit even though my feet are square, right foot less than a foot forward from the left (southpaw stance), toes nearly forward. I also tend to pivot and retreat instead of going straight back, and attack at the oblique, stepping forward and throwing the jab and cross with my body turned one direction or another. I can hook with either hand when moving right or left. These are probably bad habits but I have turned them into a workable -- and, I imagine, unique -- fighting style.

So madkatz, what I'm getting at is, you may not want to listen to me after all.

I wish I had a video camera, or a phone that wasn't from the stone age, so I could show you what I'm talking about.
            or jus a picture would do to show me. i tend to be square alot when fighting myself though

Comment

If youre square doesnt that make it harder to pivot and push off your leg? And give you the opponent a bigger target?

Comment

Originally posted by platinummatt
                If youre square doesnt that make it harder to pivot and push off your leg? And give you the opponent a bigger target?

no. i havnt had a problem yet and i've been sparring with bighitters,dancers,jabbers,sluggers.and not totally square neither

Comment

Originally posted by platinummatt
                  Yes, and yes. As for pivoting, you just push off harder, and often step first and pivot on the trailing foot. Regarding giving the opponent a bigger target, that's why I have to keep moving or I get pulped. I get hit on my shoulders and arms a lot.

The advantage for me, though, is that I am almost truly ambidextrous -- I do some things with one hand and some with the other, & many things with both, and have all my life -- so having a nearly-square stance allows me to throw hard with either hand. . . or throw fast jabs with either hand. Like everything else in boxing, there's both an advantage and disadvantage to it. I'm finding I have to take the good with the bad no matter what I do, and work with the advantages and disadvantages presented by my choices. For the style I'm developing, the peekaboo guard works the best. I don't recommend it for everybody, and I'm not saying my style is the best. It does, however, work for me -- until I find something that works better, anyway. . ..

Comment

Originally posted by versatile2k6
                    no. i havnt had a problem yet and i've been sparring with bighitters,dancers,jabbers,sluggers.and not totally square neither
                    Vers apparently knows how to make this work, so I'll shut up now and take some notes.

Comment

Working...
                    X