Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancient sophisticated civilization sight found believed to be the oldest in the world

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
    They actually are historical facts. For ages people thought the story about David and Goliath was just that a story, until archaeological evidence which was dug up in the 90's I believe proved that it was authentic.

For the longest time people also believed Troy to be fiction, and then came along Heinrich Schlieman.
    look *****

Do not tell me they are "actual" historical facts, and then turn around and state you "believe" that it was authentic.

There is a difference between beliefs and facts.

i hope u are trolling

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
      They actually are historical facts. For ages people thought the story about David and Goliath was just that a story, until archaeological evidence which was dug up in the 90's I believe proved that it was authentic.
      What was found in fact was an indication that the name "Goliath" was not a literary creation and could in fact have been a name used by Philistines in the 10th century BCE. Not "archaeological evidence" of a young boy who killed a giant with a slingshot. Besides which, an indication that some minor story in the bible is true does not in any way indicate that the rest of it is true, Jonah and the Whale and Noah's fucking Ark and all! "Well there has been archaeological evidenced unearthed indicating a large military battle and wholesale slaughter in the historical land of Canaan, therefore Joshua ACTUALLY STOPPED THE SUN FROM SETTING AND DESTROYED FORTIFICATIONS WITH MAGIC TRUMPETS!"

For the longest time people also believed Troy to be fiction, and then came along Heinrich Schlieman.
      No they didn't. Troy was an already established site before Schliemann showed up. What Schliemann thought he had found was Homer's Troy, the Troy of the Iliad. He was wrong, Homer's Troy was located later when Wilhelm Dörpfeld discovered a weaker wall that was mentioned by Homer.

the argument isnt that the flood in the bible happened, the argument is that a flood happened, infact that several floods happened and this in turn influcended wrightings to include stories of floods.

no ones trying to prove the whole world was flooded or that the bible is correct word for word.
      If this were true I would have no need to post in this thread. The fact is that plenty of people wish to prove the inerrancy of the Bible including that the whole world was completely flooded. These people oppose science (unless they feel it can be coopted to reinforce their delusions) and are attempting to get reality removed from schools in favour of their chosen myths. This is especially the case in the United States but there is also a rising movement of creationists in Britain and Canada (not to mention in the Islamic world) who oppose reality.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
        ?

What knowledge was lost when "the white man" (sic) conquered the Americas?
        The ancient tribes of Mexico were one of the very few to have a written language and kept many records of their history. The Mayan Codex are some of the few that survived but there were thousands that were destroyed and most of their history was lost

Comment

Noah was a racist and we'd still have aliens if he'd have let them get on his boat instead of leaving them to drown.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
            The ancient tribes of Mexico were one of the very few to have a written language and kept many records of their history. The Mayan Codex are some of the few that survived but there were thousands that were destroyed and most of their history was lost
            I'm not referring to a written history though. The term "knowledge" implies some level of profundity that means that some of the empirical knowledge we possess today is incomplete because of the loss of the Mayan knowledge.

There is a fair shout that the destruction of the library of Alexandria set back human understanding by centuries, but unless you think that the cartoon the Mysterious Cities of Gold was in fact a documentary, there was no such hidden knowledge we're missing out because of the destruction of the Maya (which if we're honest was pretty much gone by the time Cortez arrived due to overfarming of poor quality soil)

Comment

Working...
            X