Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dominating one weight class or winning titles in multiple, which is better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominating one weight class or winning titles in multiple, which is better?

Like a comparison resume wise of Hagler vs Hearns.

Depends on the opponents fought.

You can dominate an entire weight-class and put together a string of successful title defenses against total scrubs.

The same can be said for fighters who jump weight-classes. Fighters like Pacquiao have been known to cherry pick the easiest belt holder.

Comment

Say the average level of opponents is the same.

Comment

Depends on the situation. What Henry Armstrong did was more impressive than Joe Louis's title reign in my opinion. But Carlos Monzon's 7 year title reign is more impressive than Floyd winning ABC title's in 5 weight division's.

So it depends.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Bag View Post
          Depends on the situation. What Henry Armstrong did was more impressive than Joe Louis's title reign in my opinion.
          Armstrong not only leaped multiple weight divisions, he made 19 successful defenses of his welterweight crown.

Armstrong is on another plane.

Not comparable to jokers like Pacquiao.

Comment

If their resumes are just as good as eachother, I would go for the multiple weight class guy but that's just my opinion.

Comment

I agree, it depends on the quality of opponents. I give the edge to the guy that dominates one weight class for all or most of his career but guys like Armstrong, Hearns, Leonard still had great careers I enjoyed the hell out of watching as well.

Comment

Unless a division is cleaned out there can ALWAYS be a question mark.

Comment

I think it's safe to say it is more impressive to go up in weight numerous times if the opposition faced is of same quality, cause sooner or later, you're going to be fighting much bigger guys and you have to get bigger yourself, which situation puts you at a disadvantage before the bell even rings, whereas the man comfortably staying in his own division never has to overcome the challenges that going up in weight poses.

Comment

Originally posted by BatteredKessler View Post
                    I think it's safe to say it is more impressive to go up in weight numerous times if the opposition faced is of same quality, cause sooner or later, you're going to be fighting much bigger guys and you have to get bigger yourself, which situation puts you at a disadvantage before the bell even rings, whereas the man comfortably staying in his own division never has to overcome the challenges that going up in weight poses.

I disagree. cleaning out a division eliminates any question of who is the very best at that weight. And going up in weight today cannot be compared with era's with many less divisions, one title and same day weigh ins. Winning a paper title doesn't make a fighter a champion, beating the best around you does and cleaning out a division leaves no rock unturned. Jmo.

Comment

Working...
                    X