Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexico vs Puerto Rico... The Significant Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stripped down the Mexico list as much as possible, I feel the remaining fights (in the opening post) are the most notable Mexican wins.

I'm being told that I biasedly stripped down the PR list because I'm Mexican.

Honestly, what other Puerto Rican wins belong on the list? I want to produce something that we can all agree on. I almost added the Tito vs Campas win, but I ask again, was it really that significant of win to be included with the great match-ups (and names) that are currently on the latest version of "The List"?

Comment

Gibo always posts racist comments. Something is bothering him

Comment

Originally posted by mexicali View Post
        Gibo always posts racist comments. Something is bothering him
        Yeah, rather than get lured into an argument with that idiot I just ignored that fool. Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by M@nny View Post
          OK, since there has been so much "buzz" surrounding Vazquez Jr's insignificant win over Mexican Journeyman, Ivan Hernandez, lets name the most significant fights between Mexican and Puerto Rican fighters and how each resulted. Only the biggest fights, the ones where it mattered most.

And it a little something like this...

NOTE: Updated at the edited time below to reflect only the most significant fights, based on poster input.

Mexico over Puerto Rico

Giovanni Segura KO 8 Ivan Calderon (WBA/WBO Jr Flyweight)
          Jose Luis Ramirez TKO 4 Edwin Rosario II (WBC Lightweight) FOTY 1984
          Julio Cesar Chavez TKO 11 Edwin Rosario (WBA Lightweight)
          Julio Cesar Chavez UD 12 Hector Camacho (WBC Light Welterweight)
          Salvador Sanchez TKO 8 Wilfredo Gomez (WBC Featherweight)

Puerto Rico over Mexico

Felix Trinidad SD 12 Oscar De La Hoya (WBC/IBF Welterweight)
          Felix Trinidad TKO 12 Fernando Vargas (WBA/IBF Jr Middleweight)
          Wilfredo Gomez TKO 5 Carlos Zarate (WBC Super Bantamweight)
          Wilfredo Gomez TKO 14 Lupe Pintor (WBC Super Bantamweight)

DISCUSS...
          Great fights all and its an honor for us in the 30 X 90 little Island to even be in a long rivary with a big Nation like Mexico.

What much miss is that the rivary is not personal, is all about both having the best fighters and the healthy competition is good for both.

I'm sure we will have more as we both produce bad ass fighters.

Viva Puerto Rico y Viva Mexico!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Galarga View Post
            Great fights all and its an honor for us in the 30 X 90 little Island to even be in a long rivary with a big Nation like Mexico.

What much miss is that the rivary is not personal, is all about both having the best fighters and the healthy competition is good for both.

I'm sure we will have more as we both produce bad ass fighters.

Viva Puerto Rico y Viva Mexico!!
            I can't wait for Rafa Marquez vs Juanma Lopez, that one will end up as one of the great ones of the rivalry.

Which other Puerto Rican wins belong on this list?

Why did you remove Margarito over Cotto?

Comment

I can't wait for Rafa Marquez vs Juanma Lopez, that one will end up as one of the great ones of the rivalry.

Which other Puerto Rican wins belong on this list?

Why did you remove Margarito over Cotto?
              NO **** man, the fight is a toss up and will be a thriller.

PS Margarito dishonored Mexico getting caught with dirty hands and IMO putting them in the same sentence would be cheating Mexico's Greats Sanchez, Chavez, Ramirez and Segura Who deserve much higher respect IMO>

Comment

I don't know, I have a feeling Rafa is about to catch an ass whoopin. JuanMa is bigger, stronger, faster and younger.

If Rafa can weather the early storm, I think he can make things difficult.

Comment

Both Champions have buckled, but at 118-122 they both have to sacrifice muscle mass and legs to make weight.
                  I don't think they will buckle as featherweights and expect 12 rounds of war.
                  I can't wait!

Comment

I stripped down the Mexico list as much as possible, I feel the remaining fights (in the opening post) are the most notable Mexican wins.

I'm being told that I biasedly stripped down the PR list because I'm Mexican.

Honestly, what other Puerto Rican wins belong on the list? I want to produce something that we can all agree on. I almost added the Tito vs Campas win, but I ask again, was it really that significant of win to be included with the great match-ups (and names) that are currently on the latest version of "The List"?
                    Obviously, you were not around When the 6 foot tall Carlos Zarate terrorised the 122 div and KO everybody on his path.
                    He was one of the greatest in that weight, regardless of location. Kind of the undefeaded Paul Williams of the super battamweight.
                    Also Lupe Pintor. Lupe was a killer and a warrior.
                    I understand that at this time of age you have to go by numbers, records and youtube; but the ones who lived those days know better.
                    Those Golden years will never come back...

Comment

• I think the fight on my avatar deserves a spot. Ramírez had previously stopped Chapo and Camacho beat Ramírez afterwards. It was a title fight and one of Camacho's best performances against a solid Mexican champion.
                      Last edited by Exciterx30; 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X