Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excessive holding, please clarify what constitutes a foul?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why it's so hard for these refs to warn the excessive hugger is still a mystery to this day. The opponent is virtually fighting two people in the ring. That's why I don't mind rabbit punching as a means of retaliation.

Comment

"Why it's so hard for these refs to warn the excessive hugger is still a mystery to this day. The opponent is virtually fighting two people in the ring. That's why I don't mind rabbit punching as a means of retaliation."

I think it's because holding and clinching are legal to a certain degree. Very subjective, that's why it's problematic and I think there should be more clear rules

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
        Why it's so hard for these refs to warn the excessive hugger is still a mystery to this day. The opponent is virtually fighting two people in the ring. That's why I don't mind rabbit punching as a means of retaliation.
        Because One guy selects his ref and gives him a bonus check

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
          Watch Floyd vs Pacquaio and Madaina that is excessive holding without being called out on a foul
          Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Mayweather barely held Pacquiao. So annoying how people use the Maidana fight to pretend Mayweather did the same thing against Pac.
          Exactly. Too many people salty about TBE domesticating Manny fail to realize that Floyd RARELY held in that fight. They just didn't want him clinching at all so he was at risk of getting knocked out. That's not the way it works. The clinch is a tool to stop momentum. Perfectly legal especially with how infrequently TBE did it against Manny. The reason he did it so much against Maidana was because Maidana is a windmiller; he just throws. I have no issue with it.

I still don't hear people criticizing Grabomir Clinchko for the Povetkin fight. THAT is excessive clinching. Period. It and the Rumble in the Jungle are the two worst offenders, and any other fight pales in comparison to those two.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
            Exactly. Too many people salty about TBE domesticating Manny fail to realize that Floyd RARELY held in that fight. They just didn't want him clinching at all so he was at risk of getting knocked out. That's not the way it works. The clinch is a tool to stop momentum. Perfectly legal especially with how infrequently TBE did it against Manny. The reason he did it so much against Maidana was because Maidana is a windmiller; he just throws. I have no issue with it.

I still don't hear people criticizing Grabomir Clinchko for the Povetkin fight. THAT is excessive clinching. Period. It and the Rumble in the Jungle are the two worst offenders, and any other fight pales in comparison to those two.
            Every time Manny got close Floyd held

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
              Every time Manny got close Floyd held
              So Manny only got close just over a dozen times in a 12 round fight? An average of once a round, or twice if you're generous with rounding? Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post

What are you talking about? That fight is constantly criticised.

Comment

Any solution on how to eliminate this scourge in boxing? Any ideas?

Options:

1. If you happen to be on the ring side throw paper rocks, left over foods, except bottles, or anything that could cause injury.

2. Go on social media and post the picture of the ref everywhere and make him feel like a fugitive. Like they say, go to the root of the problem. Make it specific. Throw the generalities in the garbage.

3. Blame the ref, not the fighter...

4. Start threads like this days before the fight begins or bring it up on social media...

5. What else...

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
                    And if it's up to "discretion of the ref" that's BS
                    As with most things in the ring, it is up to the ref.

Comment

it depends on how popular the fighter is. Wlad got away with holding and grabbing because he was the star and and golden boy in the eyes of the german public. Was in no way legal what he did, what was a smaller fighter meant to do when he just grabbed them and leaned on them. Think refs need to be a lot more tough on it because its boring as hell to watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X