FAO Smart folks here - I need advice.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO Smart folks here - I need advice.

Sup G's,

I have a PhD place at the world's #4 ranked university for 9/13 start. I am seeking funding as it will add up to £30,000 over 5 years of study, inclusive of fees, costs etc.

Anyway, that is loot, so unless I can secure funding, shall I not bother with it? I have 50/50 committed to the thing. Else, I could save a few thousand and do a 2nd masters part time, in a few years.

Help my BS family.

You could become a Prostitute. You must be a smart guy. How many *******s will you have to give to earn 30,000?

You could become a drug dealer.

You can do it!!!! I got faith in you brother

Comment

C'mon now bro, I am in a pickle. I need serious guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post

C'mon now bro, I am in a pickle. I need serious guidance.
        I take it you are talking money making schemes? Am I right?

Because you didn't mention getting a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
          I take it you are talking money making schemes? Am I right?

Because you didn't mention getting a job.
          Bro, I work freelance, but that doesnt pay enough for me to live AND follow a PhD if self financed. 5k a year or something is a lt of money, especially in these tough economic times.

Comment

Yeah, part of me feels like that. I have a MA, work experience etc, but there are no jobs around man. I am only 50/50 on the PhD and am seeking funding, but if its not forthcoming, I am unsure if it is worth risking my own money.

#middle class problems.

Comment

When you make these threads, i always get the impression your parents are loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                When you make these threads, i always get the impression your parents are loaded.
                We're not poor. But not rich, middle class I guess.

Comment

A PhD is pretty much full time work. Obviously, it is ideal to get funding when you go for a PhD.

Than again, 30,000 over 5 years, so basically you need to make up 6,000 per year?

Have you looked into research/teaching assistanceships? I don't know what the situation is in your country. But in all of my experience, there are generally at least tuition wavers, if not wavers as well as living stipends, possible when you take a PhD.

I do know people who are working their way through a PhD. It seems difficult, but it is done.

Comment

Working...
                  X