No announcement yet.

Quitting boxing for weight lifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post

You dont know what contractions are and why you seem cramped up in your picture? Dont see how that effects range of motion? Well alright, thought that was common sense.

Lost cause.
    You're putting words in my mouth. Show me evidence that lifting weights will make you "lose your range of motion needed to make the punch while also making you slower and you have to rework your body to undo what you did lifting weights."

Comment

Its common sense dude. This will be my last reply to you since I'm not gaining much from it.

More range of motion = harder punch when you weight shift, as there's more muscles put into the range of motion, thus more weight.

Contracted = less range of motion. Thats why people make jokes about weight lifters not being able to wipe their ass.

More work = you have to undue your contractions and regain what you lost.

If you cant put 2 and 2 together, well then thats your problem.

Comment

Seems like you just barge in to call people stupid and regurgitate the same thing without really debating anything. That was barely much new from what I said besides the slow fiber.

I said weight lifting is absolutely not necessary and most boxers arent seriously into it. And that because you tend to get contracted, it loses your range of motion needed to make the punch while also making you slower. And that you have to rework your body to undo what you did lifting weights thus creating more work and less time to focus on fighting. And I also said the best benefits if youre putting on massive weight gains with it, as it would increase your punching power. You didnt even debate what I said and just babbled on about the same things.

Jesus Christ, guy.
        You said when you lift heavy weights you work out different muscle fibers that allow you to lift heavy things rather than throw a punch. And I showed how thats not true.

How can you say I regurgitated what you said when you were saying the complete opposite of what I was saying...
        Last edited by Danny Gunz; 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I said it works out maximal strength, which is different from explosive strength.

I said you regurgitated the same info because you did, 2/3 of what you said is what I already explained before in the thread.

Comment

I said it works out maximal strength, which is different from explosive strength.

I said you regurgitated the same info because you did, 2/3 of what you said is what I already explained before in the thread.
            Lifting heavy weights =/= maximal strength

And I didnt regurgitate barely anything of what you said we are arguing two different things so I'm confused....

But this is getting annoying so I'm gonna let it die. Good talk though, we respectfully disagree

Comment

the proof is in the pudding, look at jeff lacy, look at tyson when he got out of prison and started lifting weights, or look at the big slow primo carnera (doubt ude know who that is) and is it a coincidence all the fighters from the past who were heavyweights had better movement, not like the big robots you see now. so wat your saying is a dude manny pacquaios weight who lifted weights like say bradley could hit harder than manny? becoz he trains these fibers? get out of my face!!

Comment

I think Frank Bruno is a good example why lifting weights and boxing don't mix. (For the record I do both.)

Tyson battered him left, right and centre and Frank was slow and had no energy when compared to Iron Mike.

The video below shows Mike's opinion on weights while watching a video of Frank Bruno lifting the gym. (Skip to the 5 minute mark.)

I don't know if it changed later in his career, but Mike says on the video that he never lifts weights. I believe if he had of done, he would not have been as fast and explosive as he was when he first won the title.

Comment

Some people are beyond idiotic...

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeBrah View Post
                    Some people are beyond idiotic...
                    People are posting actual evidence to back up their claims... and your only response is to continue to call us idiots. Seems to beg the question to a degree.

There's a reason Tyson was so quick and powerful. He lifted heavy and was strong as hell.
                    Tyson never touched weights before prison. This is well-documented and substantiated by D'Amato, Rooney, and Atlas.

If you can't find time for both, you need to learn to manage your time better. I fit football training, boxing training, lifting weights, and college into a very tight schedule. It's not that hard.
                    Try having a job and a family.

How many hours do you spend on actual boxing training? Try spending 2.5 hours a day six days a week in the gym, plus roadwork every day, then tell me I need to make time to lift weights.

And before you say those are different sports that require different training methods, just remember that hitting a baseball is EXACTLY the same as throwing a punch.
                    Lulz. You just keep getting funnier and funnier.

I'd love to fight a guy who thought punching meant to swing ones' arms across their body in a chopping motion.

Let me guess... throwing an uppercut is EXACTLY the same as shooting a basketball, right?

And slipping a punch is EXACTLY the same as juking a tackle!

Let's just be honest here... you've never actually boxed competitively, have you?
                    Last edited by SBleeder; 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM.

Comment

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

This guy is beyond saving. Good luck with your ignorance goals of 212.

Comment

Working...
                      X