Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which rematches would Fabricio Werdum win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which rematches would Fabricio Werdum win?

After beating Fedor I saw a few debates on how the heavyweights should be rated. Obviously he's coming off of a great win, but just how good do you think he is and do you think he's made significant improvement in recent years or was it just a case of him being a bad style match-up for FE?

Werdum has beaten two people who a lot (most?) of people would expect him to lose to in a rematch (Overeem+Fedor), and has lost to two people who most would expect him to beat in a rematch (Arlovski+Nog).

Only 5 names in the poll as I assume that everyone would pick him to beat the rest of the guys on his record.
    Fedor
    4.76%
    Overeem
    9.52%
    Nog
    38.10%
    Arlovski
    42.86%
    JDS
    4.76%

I think Arlovski and Nog. I don't see him winning rematches against Overeem, Fedor or Junior.

Comment

I wasn't actually sure how to do the ratings at first to be honest, but I now still rate Fedor at #1, and in any case I certainly rate him ahead of Werdum. There are basically two reasons for this. One side is their respective records/accomplishments, as well as their perceived abilities. Another is that Fedor was caught very early in the fight, caught cold as the expression goes. This happens from time to time in all combat sports, and is often not reflective of actual head-to-head skill levels. I've seen prospects/fringe contenders knocked out in the first round in tune-up fights in boxing before, and it's common in wrestling as well. An early loss doesn't necessarily warrant a significant fall in the ratings (unless it's a case of a dominant destruction).

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
        Another is that Fedor was caught very early in the fight, caught cold as the expression goes. This happens from time to time in all combat sports, and is often not reflective of actual head-to-head skill levels.
        Werdum is a better grappler and was expected to win if the fight end up on the ground.

The better grappler won, simple as that.

Comment

All except Fedor and Overeem i think

Fedor was a overeager to win early and paid for it

Comment

Originally posted by WAR FERGIE View Post
            All except Fedor and Overeem i think

Fedor was a overeager to win early and paid for it
            the same mistake he did in all his fights that lead JDS to knock him out he made against Fedor, but fedor isn't a technical boxer, he prefers looping punches thus never thought about using the uppercut.

he can't beat JDS because his wrestling sucks and JDS wont grapple with Werdum that forces him to strike with JDS whom is a much better striker and also possess a great chin therefore he's a awful match up for Werdum.

Same with Overeem, except if overeem decides to grapple with him like he did in the first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by PopoFreitas View Post
              Werdum is a better grappler and was expected to win if the fight end up on the ground.

The better grappler won, simple as that.
              Werdum wasn't "expected to win if the fight ended up on the ground," and besides, the fight didn't "end up on the ground."

I'm not trying to take anything away from Werdum or his grappling. I consider him a very good fighter, who I like, and quite possibly the best grappler at HW. I was just telling things as I see them.
              Last edited by Drunken Cat; 10-05-2010, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                Werdum wasn't "expected to win if the fight ended up on the ground," and besides, the fight didn't "end up on the ground."

I'm not trying to take anything away from Werdum or his grappling. I consider him a very good fight, who I like, and quite possibly the best grappler at HW. I was just telling things as I see them.
                What do you mean by "the fight didn't end up on the ground"? I'm meant that if they went to the ground Werdum had the advantage.

Anyway some novices thought that since fedor was able to beat nog on the ground back in 2004 therefore werdum wouldn't be able to do anything because Nog is the greatest BJJ fighter ever...

but they forgot/don't know some things:

1 - Werdum is a much better grappler than Big Nog.

2 - In the third fight against Nog Fedor avoided the ground fight. He would take him down and stand up in result of what happened in their second fight where nog was able to get wrist control really early in the fight and was able to control fedor's posture with ease, avoiding his GNP. Then the fight ended in a NC.

3 - Even the almost lifeless Nog was able to sweep Fedor in the first fight. That means that on pure technique Nog was the better grappler.

4 - MARK FREAKING HUNT side mounted Fedor and locked an Americana on him. He didn't sub Fedor with a freaking Americana because he simply didn't know how to torque it correctly while his corner man was screaming his lungs off in the back ground. Hunt had 3 minutes to sub him. 3 minutes with a sub locked! Really... I'm talking about mark hunt. (yep the K-1 striker)

I can only deduce that means that fedor stopped / limited his grappling training after beating Nog.

(Curious fact: Hunt's coach --who was a Brazilian btw-- told in a Brazilian forum that he showed that sub to Hunt two weeks before the fight because the American is known in the grappling circuits as a "fat man sub" and he thought about teaching that to Hunt due to his build, obviously. But Hunt refused to drill it because he would prefer to play PS2 while eating IceCream LOL!)

5 - Arona out-grappled Fedor in their fight.

So yeh. Me and many people expected Werdum to either sub or sweep and tko him (cut) if the Russian tried to grapple with Werdum.

He tried to grapple with a better grappler and payed the price. If he tries to grapple with him again in the rematch or if somehow Werdum takes him down he'll pay the price again because werdum is the better grappler.

Simple as that.
                Last edited by PopoFreitas; 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I have to say Arlovski, Overeem, and Big Nog. Only because Big Nog is really showing his legendary chin fade from wear & tear and is so much slower I think Werdum wins a decision if he played it right, Arlosvki fight was boring and where Arlovski's prime showed it ended, and I'm pretty sure Werdum could knock him out or win a decision.

I think the exact same thing happens from the Fedor fight in an Overeem rematch but later. Overeem hurts him bad in the 1st two rounds but later Overeem starts to fade and Werdum could submit him.

Fedor I think doesn't make the same mistake twice and win by 1st round TKO. And Dos Santos probably Ko's him again because his boxing is straight up ridiculous. I'm just not buying the Overeem hype until he fights some top opposition in the MMA heavyweight division like Fedor, Werdum, and if possible the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by KESSLER View Post
                    I think Arlovski and Nog. I don't see him winning rematches against Overeem, Fedor or Junior.
                    Spot on, I agree with the picks.

Comment

Working...
                    X