No announcement yet.

Message from NASA " Pray"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message from NASA " Pray"

Large asteroid heading to Earth? Pray, says Nasa.

Nasa has found and is tracking about 95% of the largest objects flying near Earth, those that are 1km or larger in diameter.
    “An asteroid of that size, a kilometer or bigger, could plausibly end civilization,” White House science adviser John Holdren told legislators at the same hearing.
    But only about 10% of an estimated 10,000 potential “city-killer” asteroids, those with a diameter of about 165 feet have been found, Holdren added.
    On average, objects of that size are estimated to hit Earth about once every 1,000 years.
    “From the information we have, we don’t know of an asteroid that will threaten the population of the United States,” Bolden said. “But if it’s coming in three weeks, pray.”

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/Hot...says-Nasa.html

can't happen now...NBA playoffs are around the corner

Comment

So wait, is there an asteroid heading our way in 3 weeks?

Comment

The article makes it sound like one is coming in three weeks lmao.

No it's not, and I have no idea why the time frame of "3 weeks" was even mentioned.

Comment

Unless I'm missing something and there is one headed for New York.

Browsed a bit and apparently someone just asked.

"What would you do if an asteroid was going to hit New York in 3 weeks?"

NASA Director Charles F. Boldin admitted he’s a practicing Episcopalian to Capitol Hill Lawmakers yesterday, grilling him on what if anything could be done if it was learned an asteroid strike threatened New York City in 3 weeks. No surprise that lawmakers, all mostly religious folk, nodded heads in reluctant assent when his answer was “Pray.”

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

dude clearly never even saw armageddon.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

Aerosmith would perform a live concert in the Garden, obviously.

Comment

This was probably said to get more funding by the way.

Believe it or not there is no Southern Hemisphere asteroid tracking system as it was shut down. We are completely blind on that side.

Comment

You made me go look it up. It's scary but the odds are in our favor it won't hit the earth. A little too late to add to Nasa's budget now. How come they only discovered it two weeks away? So much for early warning system?

Comment

i luv asteroids...

its effin' addicting...

Comment

Working...
                    X