No announcement yet.

(VIDEO) Ringside: Boxing vs MMA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
    As a matter of fact gsp sold out a 65,000 seat stadium in montreal just a bit over a year ago. More than were in attendance for pacquiao in cowboy stadium.
    Isn't he from Canada though? I bet Pacquiao can sell out a 65k seat stadium in the Phillipines.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
      When you ONE mma fight generates what ONE boxing fight does talk to me.Better yet I will give you a few examples Dempsey vs Tonney,Tyson vs. Holyfield. Ali vs Foreman.Pacman vs Marquez,Delahoya vs Mayweather.NOBODY bought these for the undercard man.Boxing fans are not even seated for the undercards.
      Do you even know wtf you're talking about??? All your examples are the exception in noxing. Not the norm.

So what dlh vs mayweather broke the ppv record??? Boxing has a 250yr headstart on mma. Good for them. But that same year there were over a dozen other boxing ppv events. NONE of which sold more than any given ufc ppv that same year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rode View Post
        Isn't he from Canada though? I bet Pacquiao can sell out a 65k seat stadium in the Phillipines.
        Sure. But marquez only drew 25000 in his hometown. Martinez and donaire could fight on the same card and be lucky to sell that many tickets anywhere. So once again...boxing will always have a couple stars that transcend mainstream. But 5act of the matter is mma is extremely competitive with everyone else in boxing. Including 3rd -5th best fighters in the worls.

Comment

I never suggested such a thing and it is irrelevant to my point.

My point is if you're talking boxing vs mma then you have to look past skewed statistics.

So what if boxing has 2-3 guys thatll consistently do more ppv buys than all of mma put together?? Youre talking about a sport with a 250plus yr history which can be held as a standard as to why what these 2-3 guys are doing is important and historic as opposed to a 20something yr old sport thats still not even sanctioned in nearly 30states. just because certain boxers enjoy massive success is no indication of mma's failure.

Looking past that....as you said...boxing is represented by much more than its 2-3 cash cows. As it stands right now noone else in boxing is capable of selling more than 250,000 buys. The survival of the sport will be assured whether or not they ever exceed that threshhold. The same argument could be made for mma because despite the recent drop in ratings the ufc still consistently outsells everyone in boxing that isnt floyd, pac or cotto
          plenty of guys could sell that with proper promotion and time to build them up. which is part of promotion but u wouldnt get it if i left it out.

the top 40 boxers make more then the top 40 mma guys. any way whatever. mma sucks to watch and the fighters look like gays when they wrestle. say whatever you want about that opinion but tons of people say the exact thing. a lot of people dont like it.

its a fad and i think it already peaked. they'll get guys here and there who get a buzz but they all get beat. you think wrestling is worried dying? there's always a place for all three. and if some southie moron comes along and starts a head butting league that catches on theres room for that to.

Comment

So what??? Thats nowhere near floyd, pac, or cotto numbers and about what the ufc's better cards do.

Which goes right along with my point. While boxing will always have a couole of cash cows who do extremely well....boxing as a whole doesnt come anywhere close to ****ting on mma. The ufc just recently sold out a 65,000 seat stadium in canada for gsp. Thats more people than were in attendance for pacquiao in cowboy stadium.
            LOL you said no boxer can sell more than 250k besides the top 3 biggest draws. You were obviously wrong because Gamboa vs Rios would have done more than that.

People aren't coming just to see GSP, they bought tickets for the whole UFC event with like 9-10 fights on the same night involving many of the big names. GSP wouldn't sell that many tickets on his own, he wouldn't sell as many tickets as Bute and Pascal do if he was the headliner and there was only one or two undercard fights.

please elaborate on how that was any different from boxing. the ufc focuses their sales pitch only on headliner fights just like boxing. And just like the ufc, boxing uses double headers, hot prospects and a plethora of hometown favorites to boost sales.
            The UFC focuses their marketing on the brand while boxing events are built around the headliners. UFC events are named "UFC 95" "UFC 108", etc. while boxing events are named after the fighters "Mayweather vs Cotto" "Pacquiao vs Bradley". You're comparing individual boxers with an entire promotion company.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
              Boxing problem is corupt official and robberies and chickens who won't fight each other
              Erislandy Lara Erislandy Lara

Comment

Working...
              X