Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacquiao vs Cotto: The Greatest Welterweight Catchweight of All-Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prorican21 View Post
    i hate the fact that roach is trying to make the weight as low as possible like 143-144....cotto already agreed to fight at 145.....
    Same here!

Comment

Originally posted by Fights View Post
      Will Pacquiao vs Cotto belong to the greatest Welter and Under catchweight? Will it be the greatest among them? What's your opinion?

Joe Gans vs Joe Walcott (1904)

Lightweight champion Joe Gans was the master boxer while welterweight champion Joe Walcott was an aggressive fighter whose nickname, The Barbados Demon, had been well-earned.

The Bulletin reported: "It was a great fight. Gans was the clever ring mechanic. Walcott was the same old Barbadoes hurricane. He carried the fight to Gans from the start and didn't seem to mind the facers that would either have slowed up the average fighter or put him out of commission."

Jimmy McLarnin vs Pancho Villa (1925)

Jimmy McLarnin was an up-and-coming featherweight prospect when he faced flyweight champion Pancho Villa in a catchweight bout. The great Filipino fighter Villa had the experience, but the 18-year-old McLarnin had youth and physical advantages in his favor. McLarnin weighed 122 pounds to Villa's 114.

The Sun reported: "The dark-haired, short-armed fighting demon from the Philippines, the boss of the flyweights, could not penetrate the McLarnin defense. Jimmy smiled through the 10 rounds, fought carefully and didn't let the champion gain an advantage."

Henry Armstrong vs Lew Jenkins (1940)

Welterweight champion Henry Armstrong was obliged to weigh in 7 pounds under the division limit against lightweight champion Lew Jenkins. Armstrong, is a featherweight champion who was small for a welterweight. Armstrong came in at 139 pounds, while Jenkins was just a half-pound over the lightweight limit of 135.

The New York Times reported that Armstrong was winning the fight even though Armstrong's left eye was almost shut. He took command from the fourth round and Jenkins was down seven times, unable to hold the stronger, superior fighter in Armstrong. Referee Arthur Donovan stopped the fight at the end of the sixth.

Emile Griffith vs Dave Charnley (1964)

Dave Charnley, a world-class British lightweight of the 1950s and early '60s, fought the welterweight champion, Emile Griffith at Wembley.

The Times reported: "Charnley was never in with much of a chance against the champion of the division above him."

Pernell Whitaker vs. Julio Cesar Chavez (1993)

Catchweight at 145 lbs. Welterweight Whitaker was seen to be one slickest boxers at the time and Jr. Welterweight Chavez was an undefeated fighter who had already won titles in three weight divisions. This bout marked Chavez's desire to win a title in a fourth weight class. It ended in a controversial draw.

Sports Illustrated repoted: "In the end, of course, it is the fighters who suffer the most. The Chávez record now bears a tainted gift that is far worse than any defeat... Whitaker knew he had won, but the record books will say he didn't."
      Great post. But would still refer to Whitaker/Chavez or Gans/Walcott as the greater CW than cotto-pac... ATGs and a shoo-in for HOF as soon as eligible. You see, I see pac is probably an ATG and a sure HOF while cotto still has to work. Cotto has a probable but not sure HOF resume. We'll see. But this has a huge possibility of a great fight.

Though I did not vote. Will not choose between the greatest CW fight and a forgettable fight. I see this as a memorable fight but not the greatest CW fight as this will largely depend on cotto's career.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr._Pink View Post
        yup.

the guy wants cotto to come in 3 lbs. less than he usually does at the weighin. that means cotto can only come in around 160 come fight night.

just because he's a natural featherweight who is a blown up lightweight he thinks he can pull this crap. bull****.

everyone knows it's unfair to cotto to only be 12 lbs. heavier than his opponent come fight night.

cotto needs to be at least 15 lbs. heavier to compete with pacquiao.

pacquiao is scared.
        where's the red K button?

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyBoy22 View Post
          Just like a smaller man is going to totally outclass Cotto.
          Lmao, exactly. This **** isn't even worth renting on PPV. I'll get a stream link from HERE. Like I said before, quick first round tko. Pac ftw. Cotto barely won his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by tesla_power View Post
            Great post. But would still refer to Whitaker/Chavez or Gans/Walcott as the greater CW than cotto-pac... ATGs and a shoo-in for HOF as soon as eligible. You see, I see pac is probably an ATG and a sure HOF while cotto still has to work. Cotto has a probable but not sure HOF resume. We'll see. But this has a huge possibility of a great fight.

Though I did not vote. Will not choose between the greatest CW fight and a forgettable fight. I see this as a memorable fight but not the greatest CW fight as this will largely depend on cotto's career.
            Should have included an in-between in the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Fights View Post
              It's sarcasm.

uhh.. I know foo

Comment

Working...
              X