Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Sonny Liston was overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    Ali was at least allowed to have boxing training during his shorter layoff and he still looked kinda horrid in Frazier 1...
    Have you seen this fight?

Both men looked spectacular and performed as such. That's why it's called the fight of the century, the greatest sporting event ever, concensus best fight ever e.t.c.

Good lord

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post

Good lord
      :chuckle9: :chuckle9: :chuckle9: :chuckle9:

Comment

How laughable is this? Tyson fought a total of a little over SEVEN rounds in over five years. One of which was a Peter McNeely fight. Are you kidding me?? In that same duration how many rounds did Holyfield have in with top opposition????? Ali was at least allowed to have boxing training during his shorter layoff and he still looked kinda horrid in Frazier 1...
        No he didnt, he was just up against a better fighter that night, admittedly he didnt look as good as he did in the sixties but "horrid" is just not accurate at all.

Comment

Both men looked spectacular and performed as such. That's why it's called the fight of the century, the greatest sporting event ever, concensus best fight ever e.t.c.

Good lord
          It was called "Fight Of The Century" before it happened but I agree with what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            It was called "Fight Of The Century" before it happened but I agree with what you're saying.
            So was Jeffries-Johnson and I believe, Louis-Schmeling II but Frazier-Ali is the one we still know as such.

Comment

So was Jeffries-Johnson and I believe, Louis-Schmeling II but Frazier-Ali is the one we still know as such.
              Sure.

I'm just saying, it was branded "The Fight Of The Century" before the fight had happened

I'm in absolute agreement with that you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                Liston was blackballed after the second Ali fight and no other contender would touch him. Boxing was different back then. Duran and Tyson wouldn't have been given the same chance for redemption that they got either. I mean when Ali was forced into exile, they had an 8 man tournament (not even including Frazier) that Liston wasn't even invited to.
                i should have known. i always wonder about those fights that never were.

liston had been past his best by the time foreman came along right?

woulda been cool to at least see some of those sparring matches though.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Sure.

I'm just saying, it was branded "The Fight Of The Century" before the fight had happened

I'm in absolute agreement with that you're saying.
                  Now I see what YOU'RE saying
                  Originally posted by AntonTheMedium View Post
                  i should have known. i always wonder about those fights that never were.

liston had been past his best by the time foreman came along right?

woulda been cool to at least see some of those sparring matches though.
                  The cool thing is that footage of that might still be dug up some day

Comment

Good lord
                    For Muhammad Ali he looked horrid IMO. Whether it was to do with the inactivity or just not being used to the style of Frazier. Take a look at round 11 and you will see what I mean. Ali looked very similar to the way Tyson looked in the later stages of Holyfield 1. That being winded, disoriented, and worn. I'm sure you will agree he's looked sharper in other fights...

Comment

For Muhammad Ali he looked horrid IMO. Whether it was to do with the inactivity or just not being used to the style of Frazier. Take a look at round 11 and you will see what I mean. Ali looked very similar to the way Tyson looked in the later stages of Holyfield 1. That being winded, disoriented, and worn. I'm sure you will agree he's looked sharper in other fights...
                      That wasn't Ali at his finest, but I believe it was definitely up there as far as his performances go. Especially when you consider this wasn't a shot (literally) Cleveland Williams he was dealing with. This was an ATG heavyweight.

And he looked that way in round 11 because frankly, Frazier ****ed him up. I give him a lot of credit for even surviving that round. He had one of the best body-punchers ever working him for 11 rounds, then he got caught with a great hook, and he still didn't get knocked down. It took 4 more rounds for that.

From the mid-rounds onwards, Frazier made him fight above his pace, and he even looked great doing that. He was sitting down on his punches and trying to ward Frazier off as best as he could. If he'd tried to dance away he would've exhausted himself. Even when he held he was still taking hard bodyshots.

Perhaps you should watch that fight again if you think he looked horrid. I've never heard that opinion before or anything resembling it.

Comment

Working...
                      X