Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amir Khan "Brook fight will never happen" & Rightfully so!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxtime View Post
    Not accepting a 35/65 split is unjustifiable, when your career highest purse is £400k.

Being the B Side, and calling the shots, righting out the contract is injustifiable.

The only thing that is preventing this fight from happening is that Eddie Hearn wants a nice slice of the pie for himself. He has been investing in Brook for a long time, and wants to make his money back.

You see Eddie Hearn wants to be the lead promoter, so he can take his cut of the revenue, before the purse split, which is why there isn't enough money to satisfy the Khan and Brook.

This is the same thing that was happening with Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Arum wanted the promoters to be paid before the fighters, as a cost on the balance sheet. Mayweather was his own promoter, and in reality would be losing money on such a deal. In the end, they settled on a 60/40 split, with Arums cut being taken out of Pacquiao's purse.
    I'm not too enamoured with Eddie Hearn these days but with that said he'd deserve a nice slice of the pie for putting together a fight of this scale. On top of doing all the things that a promoter has to do to get the fight made he's the one with the exclusive Sky Sports contract and access to PPV revenue in Britain. Khan isn't. I may just not be aware of it but I've never heard either Froch or Groves make complaint over the financial rewards that they received from the Wembley Stadium show.

Its hardly relevant anymore what the starting point for purse split negotiations are because Khan won't entertain the very notion of a fight taking place. Can I understand Khan not wanting to kick Brook a payday as he sees it? Yes. Is that the bottom line reason why this fight isn't taking place? For me it isn't.

As British fight fans we are in a position where we are likely going to be short changed. Even if the fight takes place right now, it's competative value has diminished because Khan is coming off the back of a one punch knockout loss. If it never happens we lose out all together. If Khan suffers another stoppage defeat at 147lb then it becomes virtually meaningless outside of being an expensive spectacle (which for me is the most likely scenario).

The best case scenario is that Khan has an interim bout then beats Garcia whilst Brook beats someone of note. Both those things happening aren't exactly in keeping with what we've seen from either fighter so far but finger crossed.

The bottom line is that Khan doesn't want the fight so the fight not happening is on him. As a Khan fan can I justify that? Yeah, **** Kell Brook. He should concentrate on fighting some credible opposition (I am also a fan of Brook by the way). But as a boxing fan? This kind of thing is detrimental to the sport and like I say from that perspective it just can't be justified.

Comment

... Any Khan's (virtual) opponent (lesser or bigger) hopes to cause him troubles, somehow.
      ... None of the Brook's (virtual) opponents (lesser or bigger) hope to do so.

Comment

The last fight Khan had in the UK was in the same 12500 capacity arena Brook usually fights in, Khan's fights aren't on PPV anymore they are shown on Boxnation.

Khan wanted an 80/20 split, Brook want 40%.

Khan isn't as popular in the UK as he once was and is clearly ducking the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by tiois85 View Post
          Khan hardly made it easy for canelo, it was just too big a challenge to overcome, but he gave it his best shot.

There's a long history with brook being a constant irritant to Khan, the Hearn camp won't tell you this.

Just remember... Calling out your biggest domestic rival is one thing, but basing your whole career on one fight from atleast 5 years is another and imo that deserves no respect, it's literally a career strategy to just get one fight.

I have seen interviews from Brook from 3 or 4 years back where he literally says he doesn't want the money, just the fight...then when it came to negotiate he wouldn't accept a career high pay day, Hearn is running a scam with brooks career.

Finally brooks disrespect when khan was knocked out with the tweet was the final straw, no need for Khan to give him a payday.
          I wouldn't digagree with any of those points. They're all valid and ones that I agree with (whilst he did give it his best shot, on a rational level he knew one mistake would end in him being knocked out and he knows that he always will make that mistake).

My position on this one isn't one of appropriating blaim squarely on either camp. I'm a fan of both Khan and Brook and rightly critical of both. My concern is that as fans we are once again short changed and the sport that I love takes another dent. We're already close to the gutter. This kind of thing doesn't help matters.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
            I wouldn't digagree with any of those points. They're all valid and ones that I agree with (whilst he did give it his best shot, on a rational level he knew one mistake would end in him being knocked out and he knows that he always will make that mistake).

My position on this one isn't one of appropriating blaim squarely on either camp. I'm a fan of both Khan and Brook and rightly critical of both. My concern is that as fans we are once again short changed and the sport that I love takes another dent. We're already close to the gutter. This kind of thing doesn't help matters.
            There's an art to negotiation and Hearn has it all wrong, you can't ignore this very real reality.

Hearn is at the same time begging for that fight but at the same time trying to undermine khan, you can't be desperate and be boss.

He is also blatantly lying when he says he wants this for the fans, he wants it for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
              The last fight Khan had in the UK was in the same 12500 capacity arena Brook usually fights in, Khan's fights aren't on PPV anymore they are shown on Boxnation.

Khan wanted an 80/20 split, Brook want 40%.

Khan isn't as popular in the UK as he once was and is clearly ducking the fight.
              Why has Brook lied and said it's not about the money? He has said those words in sky interviews.

They are running s con job. Khan is simply saying access denied. Understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by tiois85 View Post
                Why has Brook lied and said it's not about the money? He has said those words in sky interviews.

They are running s con job. Khan is simply saying access denied. Understandable.
                Khan lies all the time about everything. Take his c0ck out of your mouth. 60/40 which Hearn offered Khan is a fair deal. Only Khan fans say it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                  But hasn't Boxtime/Flatline told you? Boxing and great fights don't matter. Kell Brook doesn't have enough in his bank account to fight Khan apparently.

Loool, so Boxtime is Flatline?

Comment

Quack, quack!

Comment

But why should Brook face another step down from Porter, who has been KO'd 3 times? He has bigger things to move on to, unifying the division and eventually securing a bigger name in Garcia, Thurman or Porter 2 if he wins. I don't get it, the posters most critical of Brooks resume seem to make an exception for Khan...

Comment

Working...
                      X