Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning out a weight division or moving up in weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whirlwind View Post
    No wonder despite of other people saying it is easy to achieve, the fact that there are thousands or million of boxers around the world from the past and present only a few boxers who held a 5 or 6 weight division titles as of now.
    That would make sense if there's always been the number of weight classes we now enjoy. (There wasn't). But in the old days fighters fought bigger guys in higher classes while being out weighted by the bigger fighter no problem.

But I'd consider cleaning out a division, (becoming undisputed) every bit as good, if not better than moving up weight classes and picking and feasting on some easy chump champion.

Comment

moving up and beating a great champ like malignaggi

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        moving up and beating a great champ like malignaggi
        Most sarcastic comment of the day

Comment

If this were 50, 60 or70 years ago the answer would have been climbing divisions as you actually had to beat top fighters to get to the one and only world championship. Today with 17 weight classes and 4 major belts there can be up to 68 champions. In other words the sport is watered down and MUCH easier to capture titles at different weights. In effect, cleaning out a division is much more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            If this were 50, 60 or70 years ago the answer would have been climbing divisions as you actually had to beat top fighters to get to the one and only world championship. Today with 17 weight classes and 4 major belts there can be up to 68 champions. In other words the sport is watered down and MUCH easier to capture titles at different weights. In effect, cleaning out a division is much more impressive.
            aside from having one champion per division , i disgaree .. smaller fighters in the old days werent really in a severe size disadvantge becuase of the same day weight in rule ... that is why the biggest guy armstrong fought for example was only 10 lbs heavier than him ... so using the original weight division in the past, it is harder to climb divisions now than then......

Comment

i agree with it depends ...

cleaning out divions pretty much beating the #1, 2, 3 etc in one division like ward has done ..

with nonito, he beat up the number 1 guys in 3 division making in superior to what ward ..

now compare it to guerrero or arce who altho fought top rated guys , it aint anywhere near the quality of both ward and nonito opponensts making it inferior to both ...
              Last edited by puga; 04-04-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Currently there are only 4 (Hearns, Oscar, Leonard, Mayweather jr.) boxers who won 5 weight division titles in boxing history while I lost my count those who cleaned up his own division. Obviously there is a reason why it is only 4 boxers. This is fact and numbers don't lie.
                Last edited by straightleft; 04-04-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                  aside from having one champion per division , i disgaree .. smaller fighters in the old days werent really in a severe size disadvantge becuase of the same day weight in rule ... that is why the biggest guy armstrong fought for example was only 10 lbs heavier than him ... so using the original weight division in the past, it is harder to climb divisions now than then......
                  Size doesn't make a jig difference if a fighter is lacking in skills. For example, John Ruiz was the WBA champion but was never ranked higher than 3rd in one year. Usually he was fifth or lower. Baldomir may have been the lineal champ, but everyone know he was the weakest link for welterweight titlists at that time. Even Mallignaggi today with Broner going after him. We all know he isn't the best welterweight, and size or not I would bet Broner gives him a beating.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Size doesn't make a jig difference if a fighter is lacking in skills. For example, John Ruiz was the WBA champion but was never ranked higher than 3rd in one year. Usually he was fifth or lower. Baldomir may have been the lineal champ, but everyone know he was the weakest link for welterweight titlists at that time. Even Mallignaggi today with Broner going after him. We all know he isn't the best welterweight, and size or not I would bet Broner gives him a beating.
                    no doubt .. thats is why ward's resume ****'s all over guerrero's altho ward is only a one divison champion compared to guerreros 2 and fought top rated guys in other 2 weighclasses...

my point is with "same day weigh in" it's easier to climb weightlcasses than when fighters are allowed to rehydrate .. thats is why guys who were climbing weightclasses like arsmtrong , ross , canzoneri , etc were really not in severe weight disvantage....

Comment

and size matters a lot ..ever heard of a great big man always wins vs a great small man .. size is a big factor in winning fights , obviouslly there are exceptions to this rule...

Comment

Working...
                      X