New study reveals boxing's fan base has almost doubled this decade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
    Yes. That's how it works.

When Pacquiao fights the entire country shuts down One man suffered a heart attack from anxiety while watching the Hatton fight.

This is a phenomenon. Before him, the entire country wouldn't sit down and watch a boxing match..
    Tyson era was also huge in the Philippines, almost same as Pac fights... Everyone is infront of TV even every round there are 15-30 mins commercials! lol Dont ask for a link coz no internet back then! lol

Comment

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
      Its nonsense

17% of the country = boxing fans?

thats 1 in 6 people ... boxing would be a mainstream sport if that was the case ... I doubt you'll find 1 out of 16 people claim they're boxing fans if you go to a busy street of a random big city and ask

mayweather and pac are the only big "household" names ... I doubt its even that big in Mexico or Britain, percentage wise

Can't speak for Britain but in parts of Mexico boxing is on par with soccer. For instance, not only are people HUGE into boxing in Culiacan, but almost ever dude there thinks he CAN box and that he's julio cesar chavez. No joke. :|

Also, the phillipines has always been huge on boxing. As someone mentioned before, Tyson was enormous there. We just didn't hear as much about it because it wasn't a guy from there. They tend to keep up with boxing and just because the country doesn't shut down for every fight doesn't mean it's not big there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        Didn't something like 37 million people in Mexico watch Pacquiao-Marquez III.

You don't measure the health of a sport by mega-events though. You measure its health by the numbers who watch it on a regular basis, a weekly basis if possible.
        The big fights generate interest. They bring new fans. Perhaps more importantly they keep old fans.

Originally posted by sapaw View Post
        Tyson era was also huge in the Philippines, almost same as Pac fights... Everyone is infront of TV even every round there are 15-30 mins commercials! lol Dont ask for a link coz no internet back then! lol
        Tyson was also a phenomenon. He also brought a lot of fans to the sport, but that was 20 years ago

Comment

Sorry but 1 in 6 people are not boxing fans.

Article = ****.

Comment

Bottom line is that its hard to be a boxing fan if you can't follow it, meaning watch it ... and how many free fights are on major TV networks??

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
              50 million fans but they can't break 2 mil viewers on non PPV? How the hell did they come to that number? LOL
              I would think a boxing ppv would average 4-5 people per buy ... So for every million ppv buys =4-5 million viewers ... 4 million viewers is close to 10% of their total fan base not too shabby imo ... If you believe the numbers in the article and the numbers I just made up

Comment

Boxing certainly has become more popular in the UK mainly due to a wider broadcasting market, thanks to satalite and cable tv. That could be said for any other country i suppose but over last year we have seen channels dedicated to boxing such as Primetime and the newer Boxnation.

Comment

Originally posted by brickcityboxing View Post
                  I would think a boxing ppv would average 4-5 people per buy ... So for every million ppv buys =4-5 million viewers ... 4 million viewers is close to 10% of their total fan base not too shabby imo ... If you believe the numbers in the article and the numbers I just made up
                  Boxing PPVs under 500k have give or take 5 people per buy
                  that increases by 1 per 100k.

PPVs that exceed 1 million are said to have about 10 people per buy and again that increases by 1 for every 100k. So Mayweather vs Cotto which had 1.5 million would have 15 people watching per buy. A Mayweather fight like that easily crosses into the 20 million range. Then consider that Manny and Mayweather appeal to two completely different demographics.

The number of fans also doesn't automatically mean all of them are going to watch it. The Superbowl was watched by 93 million but that doesn't mean there are only 93 million NFL fans.

Comment

Originally posted by TrottsTrembler View Post
                    Boxing certainly has become more popular in the UK mainly due to a wider broadcasting market, thanks to satalite and cable tv. That could be said for any other country i suppose but over last year we have seen channels dedicated to boxing such as Primetime and the newer Boxnation.
                    BN and Primetime will only hurt boxing more. They need more network deals like what Channel 5 is doing and Sky sports backing away from PPV for a bit has helped.

Comment

Originally posted by brickcityboxing View Post
                      That's about right. I know I watch in a group of people, it's a lot more fun having a few drinks debating the fight while its going on that sitting home alone watching it. When Floyd fought Cotto we had about 20 people there partying and enjoying the fight. Granted it depends on the fight, we had about 10 for Broners fight the other day. I'd say just number of PPV sold or viewers turned in is being very generous. As for people being fans of boxing, it's a lot different than religious viewers. I know a lot of people who know superstars and up and comers, but most fans aren't going to know much about the journeyman and such. It's just how it works.

Comment

Working...
                      X