No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rigondeaux, Manager Differ on Switch To Pedro Diaz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    One of the most important things a great trainer would work on with Rigo is a gameplan and a training regimen to implement that plan. It's not likely that anyone can teach Guillermo something significant about boxing, but that's not all that coaching is about. A guy like Diaz, for example, would study tape on Donaire and observe strengths, weaknesses and tendencies. He would then formulate an approach to exploiting weaknesses and nullifying strengths. For example, Nonito has a great left hook. Rigo knows this, but he needs to be guided on training for such a strength on the part of his opponent. A fighter can't be trusted to do that alone.

Everyone needs a good coach, no matter how good they are at what they do. You need an outside observer who sees things more clearly, someone that can put you on course and keep you there. That's why doctors have doctors and psychologists have psychologists. No one ever sees themselves as they really are.
    I think its wise for him to stay where hes at for the reasons you stated.... Rigos team has probably watched plenty of tape on Nonito.... Diaz would be able to also I'm sure but as long as Rigo has been calling out Donaire I'm sure his team has been intently studying him for awhile

He (Rigo) would only benefit from that I would think..... And winning this fight should be more important then cost cutting

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
      Rigo will fight the same way regardless of the trainer. He aint changing. Who care?
      This. He is a seasoned fighter. A change in trainer won't mean career armageddon.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
        I think its wise for him to stay where hes at for the reasons you stated.... Rigos team has probably watched plenty of tape on Nonito.... Diaz would be able to also I'm sure but as long as Rigo has been calling out Donaire I'm sure his team has been intently studying him for awhile

He (Rigo) would only benefit from that I would think..... And winning this fight should be more important then cost cutting
        Diaz is probably a better trainer than Rubio. But I agree with everything you wrote. Rigo can't afford a change this late in the game.

Comment

These Cubans change their minds a lot once they go pro. They are too inconsistent dealing with promotional and training issues.

Comment

Great change trainers. Give your fanbase an excuse when you get crushed by Donaire.

Comment

How much are we talking in savings from switching from one to the other one?
              Does anyone know how much?

Comment

Since both are from the Cuban olympic team did they work together back then? If so it may be a change for the better with knowing each other already.

Comment

This doesn't sound like he is going to beat Donaire.

Comment

I have to agree with Rigo's manager, changing trainers before the biggest fight of your career in order to save a few thousand is absurd. Pedro Diaz hasn't been the most successful trainer in the pro ranks as he has been in the amateurs. His greatest victory was against Margarito when working with Cotto in the rematch, but lets not forget Margarito was damaged goods heading into that fight, regardless which trainer Cotto had he would have won in the rematch. Foolish move Rigo!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGLEX View Post
                      I have to agree with Rigo's manager, changing trainers before the biggest fight of your career in order to save a few thousand is absurd. Pedro Diaz hasn't been the most successful trainer in the pro ranks as he has been in the amateurs. His greatest victory was against Margarito when working with Cotto in the rematch, but lets not forget Margarito was damaged goods heading into that fight, regardless which trainer Cotto had he would have won in the rematch. Foolish move Rigo!
                      I agree that Rigo shouldn't be switching trainers and that his rationale to do so is silly, but I disagree on some of what you say about Diaz. Miguel did pretty darn well against Mayweather, better than many thought he would. Cotto then went on to lose against an underrated younger fighter in Trout. In both cases, Miguel would've probably lost anyway, so it's hard to blame Diaz.

I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Cotto would've beaten Margarito regardless of trainer. It seems that many, including the fighter himself, thought Pedro was instrumental in Miguel's successful preparation for the rematch. It'll be a while before Diaz proves his ultimate worth as a trainer, but Cotto seems to have faith in him. And if anyone should know, it's him.

Comment

Working...
                      X