Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Victor Ortiz the reason for Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Victor Ortiz the reason for Canelo?

Can people remember when Victor Ortiz was an up in coming Jr Welterweight? You had people saying he was the next superstar, the next De La Hoya etc. Well I can, then he got thrown in the ring with Maidana and you all know what happened there. Since then he has struggled to find consistency in his career, maybe he was never that good and didn't deserve the hype or maybe he had his confidence shattered the fact remains is that his value will no longer reach its full potential.

Now with Canelo they have a future superstar but it is so easy for all of that to come crumbling down. I think his promoters take a good look at Victor Ortiz when choosing his opponents, they should know what could happen if he is put in the ring with top contenders in his own division.

it's the same thing that's happening with adrien broner. golden boy/haymon love to cherrypick and preserve but the time will come eventually.

Comment

No doubt that is in the minds of golden boy.

Its a slippery slope their climbing though because they could end up babying him too much which could hurt the natural development of Canelo as a fighter. Time will tell.

IMO I would want my fighter to be truly tested before say, fighting Mayweather. There is always some risk there but if you have faith in your guy you should take some risk for future reward of being prepared for the bigger, harder fights.

I like Cotto as an example of a perfectly promoted fighter. As much straight up crap Top Rank does, they did a fine job with Cotto. He was brought up not too quickly, not too slowly, and on the way kept fighting top fighters and reached the point of super stardom as a result.
      Last edited by ИATAS; 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

definitely deserved the Hype Ortiz is very talented and explosive boxer just didnt have the mentality for it him and Guzman are the two biggest wasted talents of this era

but Ortiz and Canelo are different situation Ortiz was fighting in the best division in Boxing and Canelo was fighting in the weakest division
        Last edited by Phenom; 01-10-2013, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I see your point but ducking credible competition while hoping to land a big money fight you don't deserve predates Ortiz by decades

Comment

Hater!!!

Where is bushbaby?

Comment

Ortiz is fast and strong. But he does not know how to box. He does not have a jab.

Comment

Working...
              X