Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Alvarez doesn't want to fight any 154lbs contendors...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    they'd put him into hibernation. cold freeze. if he went out of his way to start running his mouth about something like that to the media they'd probably intentionally try and ruin his career. it would never happen. it's very obvious that canelo is doing his best to play ball with goldenboy. he's not a dumb guy. he knows his place.

you clearly follow the top fighters only. (pacquiao and mayweather perhaps? that's where it sounds like you've developed your understanding of the workings of boxing.)

there's some autonomy for top earning fighters with many years in the game. for canelo, an upstart with a long term deal with goldenboy there is virtually no autonomy. none

you play ball with the guys who can make you a multimillionaire by the time you're 25. you don't piss them off.

why is canelo a star / big name in boxing?
    one reason :
    goldenboy promotions. turning canelo into a star costs them millions. down the line it will pay of, when he's making seven or eight figures fighting floyd mayweather.
    You're a funny guy. How do you explain a guy like Yuriorkis Gamboa getting out of his contract with Arum and Top Rank? Is Gamboa a mainstream star? You claim Canelo is a star but yet he has no autonomy. True stars have a say so.

Comment

Btw deals can be bought out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        I cannot even begin to explain just how much the bold does not make sense. Chavez has problems making 160 because he is a big middleweight. Therefore if golden boy offered 156 2lb's over 154, they obviously didn't want the fight.
        true...goldenboy offers a catchweight (an unrealistic one) to make it seem like they're putting an honest effort to make the fight happen, but they know chavez jr would most likely never agree to 156..better than gbp outright saying 'no' i guess..But I'm not sure if they offered anything higher than 156 lbs though...

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
          You're a funny guy. How do you explain a guy like Yuriorkis Gamboa getting out of his contract with Arum and Top Rank? Is Gamboa a mainstream star? You claim Canelo is a star but yet he has no autonomy. True stars have a say so.

the gamboa contract was bought out and that has to be agreed upon. it's a hell of a lot easier to buy the contract of a 30 year old featherweight with very little drawing power than it is to do that with a guy like canelo alvarez, who goldenboy will fight tooth and nail to keep.

if goldenboy wanted to freeze canelo out they would. if canelo starts going to media complaining that he's being matched too soft, and if he starts refusing fights then he'll be put into hibernation. written into the language of the contract is almost certainly a period of many years and many fights where canelo is obligated to fight under goldenboy without the ability to sign with anybody else, and they will fight tooth and nail to keep him from fighting with anybody else during that period of time. he'll fight who they say, when they say it

most boxers in the top ten know less about the contenders than your average bscene posters
          to think that they control their careers in this capacity shows how little you know about boxing and the world of business in general. boxers fight and train. that is it. at the very best they're given a set of opponents out of whom they can select for their next fights, but again, that's only for the best of the best fighters with autonomy. if they don't like the opponents, then they dont fight. period. they dont say "i make the rules, i'm fighting this guy."

two fighters on the planet operate with that sort of power
          floyd mayweather and manny pacquiao. even manny runs the risk of being left out in the cold, as he's on a multi fight deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
            Btw deals can be bought out.

oh yeah man, that's highly likely.

who the hell is goldenboy going to allow to buy out their highest paid young fighter? their chief competitors?

you are talking straight out of your ass and you're in far over your head.

Comment

If he's not going to fight anybody at 154, why would he fight anybody higher?

Comment

[QUOTE=New England;12454136]
                most boxers in the top ten know less about the contenders than your average bscene posters
                to think that they control their careers in this capacity shows how little you know about boxing and the world of business in general. boxers fight and train. that is it. at the very best they're given a set of opponents out of whom they can select for their next fights, but again, that's only for the best of the best fighters with autonomy. if they don't like the opponents, then they dont fight. period. they dont say "i make the rules, i'm fighting this guy."
                /QUOTE]

That's real ***** too. I remember Omar Figueroa saying that he doesn't watch boxing. Even as I type it, I still can't comprehend it lol. It's shocking that boxers could be more ignorant about their own profession than some fans.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                  If he's not going to fight anybody at 154, why would he fight anybody higher?
                  because the TS thinks that his "liking the fight" is reason to make it.

when you get a canelo alvarez thread you get a lot of this

"i've only been watching boxing for a few years at best and i'm too impatient to wait for alvarez to be matched tough."

Comment

[QUOTE=kiaba360;12454175]
                    /QUOTE]

That's real ***** too. I remember Omar Figueroa saying that he doesn't watch boxing. Even as I type it, I still can't comprehend it lol. It's shocking that boxers could be more ignorant about their own profession than some fans.

not only that, brother, these guys are not that bright for the most part. canelo is very bright. the average boxer would literally be unable to read his own contract. i am not saying that boxers cannot read, i'm saying that legal contracts are a f#cking bear to read. they are in no position to move their own careers.

hell, i deal with them all the time, and i need my lawyer to walk me through every f#cking step of any contract i sign. that's why he gets paid the big bucks. and that's why fighters work for promotors.

Comment

not only that, brother, these guys are not that bright for the most part. canelo is very bright. the average boxer would literally be unable to read his own contract. i am not saying that boxers cannot read, i'm saying that legal contracts are a f#cking bear to read. they are in no position to move their own careers.

hell, i deal with them all the time, and i need my lawyer to walk me through every f#cking step of any contract i sign. that's why he gets paid the big bucks. and that's why fighters work for promotors.
                      I used to wonder why fighters would be so quick to mention their promoter/manager in their interviews. I'm realizing that it's just not enough to just be good in the ring. There are many aspects that boxers should try to educate themselves about and not put total control into the hands of their promoter/manager. Having success inside the ring doesn't always translate to the outside. Fighters seem to be on the bottom of Boxing's totem pole by their own volition.
                      Last edited by kiaba360; 08-26-2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X