Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Dariusz Michalczewski and Joe Calzaghe undisputed champions, or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Calzaghe was frequently described as undisputed champion,[46][47][49][50] Since he had relinquished the IBF title, others argued that this was not strictly accurate,[51][52] Reuters called him "undisputed king" of the division,[48] while David A Avila said he was "the true undisputed world champion. Forget about the IBF titleholder Alejandro Berrio. That’s really Calzaghe’s belt too." [53] The WBA describes as "undisputed champion" those who hold any two of the WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO titles;[54] which Calzaghe did after beating Kessler, and had earlier done after beating Lacy."

if calzaghe wasnt forced to drop a title he would have been the undisputed champ at 168, unoffically he was.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
      I agree with the Joe scenario cuz he beat Jeff Lacy for the IBF and then got stripped and he beat Kessler for the WBA and the WBC. And, I think at the time the IBF was vacant due to being stripped.
      yeah thats basically what happened. he was forced to drop the ibf title by hbo wasnt it because he signed a contract with them and they didnt want anything to do with it for some reason i think.

Comment

I agree with the Joe scenario cuz he beat Jeff Lacy for the IBF and then got stripped and he beat Kessler for the WBA and the WBC. And, I think at the time the IBF was vacant due to being stripped.
        Even if someone had it, it wouldn't matter because undisputed has alot to do with consensus like p4p kind of.

Lets say for instance that Floyd beats Shane regardless of whether its for the WBA strap and then beats Pac after lets say he beats Berto hypothetically......is anyone going to disputed Floyd as undisputed WW champion just because he didn't beat IBF belt holder Jan Zaveck?

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
          yeah thats basically what happened. he was forced to drop the ibf title by hbo wasnt it because he signed a contract with them and they didnt want anything to do with it for some reason i think.
          Right, but here is my thing you can't say Dariusz is undisputed champ and then say Roy became undisputed becuase he won titles that were stripped from Dariusz. Especially cuz he couldn't defend a title 30 days after barely winning it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
            Even if someone had it, it wouldn't matter because undisputed has alot to do with consensus like p4p kind of.

Lets say for instance that Floyd beats Shane regardless of whether its for the WBA strap and then beats Pac after lets say he beats Berto hypothetically......is anyone going to disputed Floyd as undisputed WW champion just because he didn't beat IBF belt holder Jan Zaveck?
            Right it is a case by case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post

lololol....Thats a good point. Technically he wouldnt be but Zaveck is a joke so I think Floyd would get the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Right, but here is my thing you can't say Dariusz is undisputed champ and then say Roy became undisputed becuase he won titles that were stripped from Dariusz. Especially cuz he couldn't defend a title 30 days after barely winning it.
                thats a good point. I think it has to be done on a case by case like someone else said.

politics and grudges really do cast a black eye over boxing. in the case you described, ehh the unofficial champ or the peoples champ some people say would be Dariusz despite roy having it UNTIL dariusz loses to someone again and then roy becomes it. thats how i would see it anyway

i think the same thing happened to prince naseem, he won 3 of the belts but was stripped of the 4th one before the fight so he couldnt have all 4 belts

Comment

So David Haye was not undisputed at CW either, then?

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
                    thats a good point. I think it has to be done on a case by case like someone else said.

politics and grudges really do cast a black eye over boxing. in the case you described, ehh the unofficial champ or the peoples champ some people say would be Dariusz despite roy having it UNTIL dariusz loses to someone again and then roy becomes it. thats how i would see it anyway

i think the same thing happened to prince naseem, he won 3 of the belts but was stripped of the 4th one before the fight so he couldnt have all 4 belts
                    Dariusz chose to give up those titles. No one forced him too. I mean - Nicky Piper over Lou Del Valle? Umm ok.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      Dariusz chose to give up those titles. No one forced him too. I mean - Nicky Piper over Lou Del Valle? Umm ok.
                      I dont really know any history about it, if he CHOSE to give up those titles instead of fighting roy then yes roy was the undisputed champ if he won them

Comment

Working...
                      X