No announcement yet.

Hopkins Pavlik question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
    i was wonderin watching the fight on you tube only been back into boxing few years but when hopkins fought pavlik what was the word on the street? did people think hopkins was to old? that he would win? anyone remember?
    At the time there was talk about Pavlik fighting Abraham and Hopkins was seen as a fill in fight for Pavlik. Most felt Pavlik would power Hopkins into retirement but there was a fair sized group that felt that Hopkins would be too canny for Pavlik and would be able to negate his power. I fell into that group and felt this was a very dangerous fight for Pavlk that he should avoid, I had a very bad feeling about this for Pavlik.

Comment

From the closeness of the Calzaghe fight I knew Hopkins would beat Pavlik.. It's funny because most expected Calzaghe to beat Pavlik but thought Pavlik would walk through someone Joe had a lot of trouble with months earlier? Not me.

Hopkins was still very good in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
        From the closeness of the Calzaghe fight I knew Hopkins would beat Pavlik.. It's funny because most expected Calzaghe to beat Pavlik but thought Pavlik would walk through someone Joe had a lot of trouble with months earlier? Not me.

Hopkins was still very good in 2008.
        I was on this site back in the time. A HUGE majority of posters thought Pavlik would hurt Hopkins and dominates him. A HUGE majority of reporters and journalists were saying Hopkins was done.

Pavlik was undefeated with a ko ratio over 90%, back at the time he was becoming a huge star.

Then BHop, being the legend that he is, put a beating on that young lion and took his soul that night. Pavlik has never been the same again. At the end of an epic last round, Hopkins stoop up in front of all the reporters, and looked at them one after the other. That was freaking badass.

You can see it in this video: At 1:05:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OvCcI7FSMM

Comment

Pavlik was the heavy favourite. I remember because I won money on it. Got Hopkins by decision at about 6/1 iirc.

Comment

Pavlik was a 3.5-1 favorite. I'm pretty sure I picked him to win also. It was just a matter of how Hopkins looked against Calzaghe and how Pavlik had been known to fight at a high pace.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
              Pavlik was a 3.5-1 favorite. I'm pretty sure I picked him to win also. It was just a matter of how Hopkins looked against Calzaghe and how Pavlik had been known to fight at a high pace.
              Yep, he was a clear favorite.

The way Hopkins looked at the reporters after the fight still give me chills. After this fight, I've never seen a reporter again underestimate Hopkins before his fight, even at his age.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
                i was wonderin watching the fight on you tube only been back into boxing few years but when hopkins fought pavlik what was the word on the street? did people think hopkins was to old? that he would win? anyone remember?
                99% of people, particularly here at NSB, thought Bhop had no chance and there seemed to be a consensus that it was going to be Bhops first KO loss.

It really was amazing. Pavlik had the type of hype that only Lacy, GGG and Matthyse have recently had and it was all leading into the Bhop fight, so you can imagine what the talk was.m

Hopkins has no chance! KO for Pavlik! No way Bhop can keep up with 100 hard punches a round....etc etc.

Comment

Seems like Pavlik opened at something like -500

Comment

Oddly enough, though with very typical NSB logic, people used the Calzaghe fight as a gauge that Pavlik would win. They said that Pavlik also throws 100 punches a round, and that's how Calzaghe beat him, but Pavlik throws hard punches so Hopkins will just get annihilated. If Calzaghe could beat him by out working him with little putty patter slaps, then Pavlik will kill him with his 100 brutal shots per round!

People had already forgotten that Calzaghe was ten times faster, much harder to predict, was very savvy with excellent ring craft, had much better skills, was harder to hit and was a great spoiler himself. Even then, he had a lot of trouble with Hopkins....though the way it's spoken of today Calzaghe fought a suddenly shot Hopkins, who then miraculously and suddenly regained his prime in his very next fight. There were actually people saying that back at the time. No, I'm not joking. Yes, I'm being serious. There really were.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                      I won some nice £££ on this fight, and predicted on here that Bore Hard would Hopkinate Pavlik. I was slightly wrong, in that it wasn't a Hopkination, but was actually a fairly interesting fight.

I liked Moby, but when the target's moving, the only thing the poor **** can hit is the bottle.
                      That makes two of us!

I bet on Hopkins too. I remember it well!

I also bet on Dirrell to beat Abraham when Dirrell was 5/1 (on points) because Abraham KTFO Taylor.

I was due to win £3200.......then ****ing Dirrell goes and fakes a foul punch injury and I lost it all. 100% ****. Glad no promoter will touch him now!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X