Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer programmers (Or those who like to try new operating systems)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer programmers (Or those who like to try new operating systems)

Greetings everyone,

It has been a long time since I have posted here but I wanted to turn those who are interested on to a relatively new operating system. It isnt another Linux-distro, or Unix based, nor is it a Windows clone. It is also completely open-source. For those that remember BeOs it is based on that. It is actually very good for multimedia. I have thrown tons of different formats at it and it handles them with no trouble at all. I have even had five or ten different multimedia applications running with no trouble. For those that like trying new Operating systems give it a try (Its free dont be scared)!! Its still a beta but it has come a long way. Link below:

https://www.haiku-os.org/

Note (For those that can program, they also need help with programming). I have done some small projects but if you think you can tackle some of the issues (Check the trouble tickets) feel free to jump in and help out.

Originally posted by Riptor View Post
    Greetings everyone,

It has been a long time since I have posted here but I wanted to turn those who are interested on to a relatively new operating system. It isnt another Linux-distro, or Unix based, nor is it a Windows clone. It is also completely open-source. For those that remember BeOs it is based on that. It is actually very good for multimedia. I have thrown tons of different formats at it and it handles them with no trouble at all. I have even had five or ten different multimedia applications running with no trouble. For those that like trying new Operating systems give it a try (Its free dont be scared)!! Its still a beta but it has come a long way. Link below:

https://www.haiku-os.org/

Note (For those that can program, they also need help with programming). I have done some small projects but if you think you can tackle some of the issues (Check the trouble tickets) feel free to jump in and help out.
    I just installed OpenIndiana today (OpenSolaris Branch). Pretty nifty.

Comment

I like me Puter Box.

Comment

Seems great. But it isn't for me though. A very very nifty OS I must say.

I'll stick with my UNIX based operating systems...

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
          I just installed OpenIndiana today (OpenSolaris Branch). Pretty nifty.

Hey I may give that a try!! I have been meaning to try an OpenSolaris branch. I was also checking out Illumos, and Nexenta OS. (Also both Opensolaris branches.)

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHookGarcia View Post
            Seems great. But it isn't for me though. A very very nifty OS I must say.

I'll stick with my UNIX based operating systems...

No problem... thanks for trying it out though.

Comment

Hey I may give that a try!! I have been meaning to try an OpenSolaris branch. I was also checking out Illumos, and Nexenta OS. (Also both Opensolaris branches.)
              OpenIndiana is an Illumos branch. Used it for a file server I just built, 20TB zfs in raidz3. Pretty nice so far!

Comment

OpenIndiana is an Illumos branch. Used it for a file server I just built, 20TB zfs in raidz3. Pretty nice so far!

Cool.. I will definitely give it a shot. (I have been using Ubuntu for the longest time, but trying some of the other Linux distros is definitely on my list.) I will probably give it a shot tommorow. Use Gparted and set up a small partition on the drive that houses ubuntu and take it from there.

Comment

Cool.. I will definitely give it a shot. (I have been using Ubuntu for the longest time, but trying some of the other Linux distros is definitely on my list.) I will probably give it a shot tommorow. Use Gparted and set up a small partition on the drive that houses ubuntu and take it from there.
                  I usually just test out stuff in virtualbox.

Comment

I usually just test out stuff in virtualbox.
                    Good Idea, Virtualization! Last time I did that was a year or two ago. I completely forgot about that.

Comment

Working...
                    X