Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tommy Hearns's Strategy Against Marvin Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hearns should never of tried to brawl with hagler,he does not have the power at that weight to even stun hagler,hearns was out of his league,hagler did not even hit hearns flush and he was out like a light
    Last edited by mrboxer; 08-20-2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Now I know why Hagler changed his name.

Comment

At the time I hated Hagler and I like Hearns a lot. I've never thought about Hearns using the proper strategy or not. It was always my belief that Hagler was unbeatable that night. Hearns connected with everything and Hagler seemed unaffected (apart from the cut that is).

Thinking of it now I doubt that Hearns would have fared any better with a change of tactics. He really didn't adapt too well to Hagler's southpaw stance as he continually stumbled. My personal belief is that Hagler always would have Hearns' number.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Thomas Hearns broke his `famous` right hand in the opening round, if he had not broken it then Hagler was going the same way as Roberto Duran did in his fight with Hearns
          No one else ever knocked Hagler out or even down so I wouldn't have thought that Hearns, great puncher though he was, would either

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Tommy wanted to box and move.. With a broken hand, he had to.. But Hagler was cut, and went into full attack mode through fear of getting stopped himself..
            I'm surprised there wasn't a rematch when you way up the circumstances.. I'd say Hagler would have won it, but no where near as quickly..
            Hagler would have probably been more patient without Hearns charge and without the cut but I think the outcome would have been the same. Hagler loved people to charge at him as our man Minter found to his cost.
            Duran had a bit of success purely by also standing back and counter punching which threw Hagler off his game a bit.
            I think whatever Hearns tried though Hagler would have beaten him.

Comment

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
              It was a great injustice to boxing and it's legacy for Marvin Hagler to win that bout.Many argue that "fixed" bouts in the sport of boxing are a bad Idea but I disagree,Think about it,Hagler was a fading fighter by the time of the fight and wasn't a very marketable fighter to begin with.

Hearns was the key draw in this fight,His legendary bout with Sugar Ray Leonard cemented it's place as one of the greatest fights of all time and his legendary knockout victories over Pipino Cuevas and Roberto Duran had solidified his place as the sports greatest puncher.

Hearns was by far the greater fighter and bettered Hagler during that first round despite doing so with a broken hand.By the second round Thomas Hearns was a one handed blown up welterweight fighting under harsh circumstances, No one could have expected him to have done any better.

This was not fair and the fight should of been a no contest at the very least, perhaps even a win for Thomas Hearns due to his heart and courage he displayed during the next near five minutes.Hearns would never take away from Hagler's victory, After the bout he spoke of no broken hand not to take credit away from the obvious dubious victory of one Marvin Hagler and that my friend's is what a real professional is all about,Not whining and crying and running away in tears like a school girl to another country,But accepting reality and moving on with his personal and professional life

God bless the Motor City Cobra, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns.You're personal hero

Why the need to put down Hagler to give Hearns the credit he rightly deserves?
              As for it being a no contest or even a win for Hearns, why?
              Because Hagler has a harder head than Hearns' fist?

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                Why the need to put down Hagler to give Hearns the credit he rightly deserves?
                As for it being a no contest or even a win for Hearns, why?
                Because Hagler has a harder head than Hearns' fist?
                Wow, cant beleive you even responded to that idiots post.

Hearns was a great though, its just a shame he didnt have a great chin. P4P one of the hardest hitters for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
                  Wow, cant beleive you even responded to that idiots post.

Hearns was a great though, its just a shame he didnt have a great chin. P4P one of the hardest hitters for sure.
                  Yes I know I'm pissing in the wind.
                  Yes I loved to watch Hearns, whoever named him the Motor City Cobra had him just right. The hooded eyes and the fast strikes it suited him so much better than HitMan.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                    Yes I know I'm pissing in the wind.
                    Yes I loved to watch Hearns, whoever named him the Motor City Cobra had him just right. The hooded eyes and the fast strikes it suited him so much better than HitMan.
                    I always liked the "Motor city cobra" moniker better too.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                      Tommy wanted to box and move.. With a broken hand, he had to.. But Hagler was cut, and went into full attack mode through fear of getting stopped himself..
                      I'm surprised there wasn't a rematch when you way up the circumstances.. I'd say Hagler would have won it, but no where near as quickly..
                      Hearns wanted an immediate rematch but Hagler wanted nothing to do with it

Comment

Working...
                      X