Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power is a double edged sword

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also think speed can be a hindrance too in some fighters. For instance Khan. He rushes in throwing 3 - 4 shots. He is greedy. He tries to go in and throw as many shots as possible in a flurry. He would be better off picking one or two great shots. Just watch him vs Garcia. He is jumping in with combos when the openings just aren't there. If he wasn't as fast as he is he would know he couldn't get away with it and he would box more carefully. His speed has carried him through so far that he has abandoned the basics. That's why when he steps up or meets a guy with good timing he loses. He relies way too heavily on it.

Comment

Bumping this thread.

I wanted to bring this thread back up because of what I saw on Saturday night. Donaire, who I believe can be very crafty and technical, seems like he's been solely relying on his knockout power. Like I said before, power is good to have if you're disciplined with it, but a lot of fighters, when they reach a certain point in their knockout ratios, tend to rely just on power. In fact, relying solely on anything is bad. For instance, like the guy said before me, Amir Khan relies solely on his speed. But I've been seeing more of this pattern with fighters with power.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
        Bumping this thread.

I wanted to bring this thread back up because of what I saw on Saturday night. Donaire, who I believe can be very crafty and technical, seems like he's been solely relying on his knockout power. Like I said before, power is good to have if you're disciplined with it, but a lot of fighters, when they reach a certain point in their knockout ratios, tend to rely just on power. In fact, relying solely on anything is bad. For instance, like the guy said before me, Amir Khan relies solely on his speed. But I've been seeing more of this pattern with fighters with power.
        I was very disappointed to see Donaire load up on single shots. He obviously went in thinking he would end it with one shot, which was exactly my fear against Rigo.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          I was very disappointed to see Donaire load up on single shots. He obviously went in thinking he would end it with one shot, which was exactly my fear against Rigo.
          Rigondo was running too fast so Donaire couldn't fire off combos. Donaire needed to impersonate his best friend Ward and hold-n-hit Rigondo. When Donaire got rough with Rigondo, he got a mutha-fu*kkin knock down... Garcia should've told Donaire he's gonna have to fight ugly to win this fight.

Comment

Power is the last thing to go.

Power stays with you as you age. Speed unfortunately doesn't.

Comment

Working...
            X