Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto @ 147.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
    Floyd would have beat cotto but cotto is a great boxer so he would always have his moments
    I agree...it would be a tough fight every time out. Cotto makes you fight and you will know that you fought Cotto

Comment

It would have been the same. Now if they have a rematch, I think it will a much closer fight. Not that I think that Cotto is all the sudden a much better fighter now. Unlike Maidana, Cotto is a much better fighter who has the ability to adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi007 View Post
        It would have been the same. Now if they have a rematch, I think it will a much closer fight. Not that I think that Cotto is all the sudden a much better fighter now. Unlike Maidana, Cotto is a much better fighter who has the ability to adjust.
        See, that right there is proof of Cotto's lackluster right hand, Cotto is a much better fighter than Maidana but because Maidana possesses a good right hand, weird arching ones, Mayweather struggled to fight off the ropes as successfully as he did against Cotto. Maidana's right hand made Mayweather tentative.

By the way, I agree with the bold, a much tougher fight than people think.

Comment

It's hard to tell for this reason: the Cotto that fought Floyd was a very unusual version of Cotto.

It was a Cotto prepared by Pedro Diaz, who suppressed Cotto's natural balls out aggression, and replaced it with a much more cerebral and disciplined approach.

Against Floyd, Cotto simply used the jab to control Floyd's movement, backing him up and putting him on the ropes. When he got him there, he stayed low and went up and down the body with combinations. And then he got out.

He never got greedy or overstayed his welcome. That changed everything, because it denied Floyd the countering opportunities off the ropes that normally make him look so good.

The million dollar question is whether or not Cotto could have done better if he had fought more in his traditional style and looked to pour it on when he got Floyd against the ropes. But then you have to take into account the openings that would have created for Floyd too, as well as the possibility of Cotto gassing even sooner.

I liked what Diaz did with Cotto, and I thought the gameplan against Floyd was excellent. But there's no denying that a fight between the pre-Margarito Cotto and Floyd at 147 would have looked completely different.

Comment

Cotto will struggle at 147, don't like the weight!
            Cotto should fight GGG for the title!
            Floyd should go to England to fight Khan for the title!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by B Phontain View Post
              The same one who woulda won it at 140 i suppose. They didnt wanna see none of Floyd at 140 too high risk. Although i think Cotto adjusted to 147 easier than floyd. So it woulda been a good one then as it was at 154
              Who was the one that said, "he lives to far" and "too green. He needs a couple of tune up fights"???

Comment

Working...
              X