Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Freddie Roach help reclaim Cotto's career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freddie Roach is always willing to train his fighters and put in his hard work. Most of Roach's fighters take advantage of him and don't train hard. Pac and Chavez JR got two big headed and we seen the results of those two fighters last fights.

Roach is never in charge or the boss of his training camps. That seems to be a big problem. It's all up to Cotto if he wants to train hard or not. One thing for sure Roach will.

I would like to see Cotto use his right hand more like he did when he use to fight at 140. Maybe Roach can help him with that.

Comment

Roach also mentioned he's going to work on more body work from Cotto. Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
        Cotto-Marquez at 150, who do you have winning that fight?
        You keep bringing up this matchup......even if cotto won it wouldn't make him a great fighter

Comment

Originally posted by MASONSC View Post
          Cotto will be fine. He lost to Floyd like everyone else does but he gave a good account of himself, and he lost a very close fight to Trout, who gave Canelo a close fight as well.

If Miguel is working hard, he's still a top 10 fighter. I don't know why so many discredit him nowadays.
          Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
          Because he's a shell of his former self and it's clear as day? He's still a seasoned veteran, but he's definitely not a top 10 fighter.
          This is what I'm talking about. How is he a shell of his former self?

He's not in his prime anymore but people talk like he's some shot has-been because he lost his last two fights. Look at who he fought though!

If Miguel is still hungry, he will be fine. What he needs from Roach more than anything else is motivation. Someone that's going to push him.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake... View Post
            You keep bringing up this matchup......even if cotto won it wouldn't make him a great fighter
            But if Marquez is coming off of two wins over Pacquiao and Bradley at 147 and is a top three P4P fighter coming into a fight at 150, isn't that a great win for Cotto? I know Marquez fighting at 150 seems ridiculous, but with Memo his conditioning has really taken off and I think it could be done without sacrificing his legendary skill set.

Comment

Cotto-Marquez at 150, who do you have winning that fight?
              Tough to say. Marquez is the smaller guy whos never fought that high but he's got more in his tank than Cotto IMO. To me it's a fantasy match up anyways, I don't think these two should fight. Marquez does not belong in the JMW division, he barely belongs in the WW division.

Comment

But if Marquez is coming off of two wins over Pacquiao and Bradley at 147 and is a top three P4P fighter coming into a fight at 150, isn't that a great win for Cotto? I know Marquez fighting at 150 seems ridiculous, but with Memo his conditioning has really taken off and I think it could be done without sacrificing his legendary skill set.
                JMM is a career FW and 40

If ortiz or berto or any one beat him @ 147, 150 etc it wouldn't mean much imo

Comment

Well Marquez is almost 40 years old. It's not the weight it's the age imo. Kinda like when Chad beat Hopkins and it didn't mean much of anything.

Marquez is reaching that old man bad ass status where losses really don't matter and wins are significantly valued.

I'd give Cotto props if he beats Marquez but I don't think he'll beat him. I think it'll be an amazing fight but ultimately I don't think Cotto can handle Marquez's combination punching.

Comment

If Cotto can no longer make 147 and be strong and healthy doing it, I don't see it. He simply isn't a 154 fighter, and his power just doesn't phase the guys up at junior-middle.

I mean, he could probably handle Ishe Smith, but I'd have a hard time picking him over most of the top-10 guys at 154. It's just not his weight class.

Comment

I love and respect Cotto but he is done. He is probably hoping to get a last big payday

Comment

Working...
                      X