No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hopkins Wants Pascal, Dawson, Bute, Then Retirement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pu$$yKiller View Post
    If he beats all of them, then damn he could be higher than Roy Jones in ATG list.

Howevr Roy did achieve a hell of a lot going up to HW.
    How is oy better than Hopkins? Roy fell off the minute he left his prime, most great fighters find ways to adapt see a almost washed up Ali dominating the hw division. Also Jones beat John ****in Ruiz, James Toney gave Ruiz a worse beating.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalBeast View Post
      His may indeed not fight ANYONE, but HE just might fight Dawson, apparently.

This clown is going to fight Dawson? lol
      When was the last time Hopkins fought a live naturally bigger opponent?
      Chad Dawson says Bernard Hopkins is “reluctant to face me”
      January 11th, 2011

By Dan Ambrose: For the past three years, former IBF/WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (29-1, 17 KO’s) has been trying to get Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KO’s) to fight him but with zero luck. Hopkins has instead picked out vulnerable fighters like Winky Wright, Antonio Tarver, Kelly Pavlik, Roy Jones Jr., Enrique Ornelas, while losing to Joe Calzaghe.
      "What do I gain fighting Chad Dawson? What is attached to Chad Dawson that enhances and changes Bernard's career? How does that change Bernard's life? He just beat up a guy 17 years [younger and a] star of boxing in Kelly Pavlik. Why do ya'll want me to continue to destroy the future of boxing? And once I'm gone I might want to promote the guy later on," Hopkins said.

When further pressed, Hopkins discussed other reasons for bypassing a fight with Dawson. While he discusses Dawson's inability to draw huge crowds, and Dawson's lack of a pay-per-view background, the real reason comes down to money. When a Dawson fight was briefly discussed, Hopkins was looking for a certain seven-figure number from HBO. The network gave him the wrong answer.

"Chad Dawson has not sold out any arena, even in Hartford, Connecticut. He has no history in pay-per-view. He hasn't beaten nobody of significance other than who? Tarver, who lost to a middleweight [in] Bernard Hopkins? I think it was a split, 1 and 1 [against Glen Johnson]. He beat and lost to Glen Johnson, who I beat [when he was] undefeated and knocked him out," Hopkins said.
      http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=26321
      Great reasons for not fighting Dawson
      Last edited by Toney616; 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu$$yKiller View Post
        If he beats all of them, then damn he could be higher than Roy Jones in ATG list.

Howevr Roy did achieve a hell of a lot going up to HW.
        We all know Roy was on the juice when he moved up to HW and beat the worst champion at that weight, plenty of guys in the old days where natural MWs n beat HWs w/o even moving up in weight, its the quality of opponents that count not their size....ala Manny, your not gonna beat him cuz ur big you gotta have skill like JMM....its just good tv but means very little to me. Nard has acheived more than Roy imo but a prime Roy still beats anyone from 160-175 that ever lived, he just never did enough with it partially cuz there weren't many names around n the big names he did fight he made them look like chumps.

Comment

Why was he so unwilling to face Dawson, now is?

Isn't beating Pascal whom beat Dawson, enough?

It'd be good if Bute beats the SMW tourney winner, then Hopkins beats Bute.

Comment

Originally posted by IronMike* View Post

This clown is going to fight Dawson? lol
            When was the last time Hopkins fought a live naturally bigger opponent?

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=26321
            Great reasons for not fighting Dawson
            Bro seriously??U do know he just fought Pascal right??

Comment

Honestly, if he beats them all, that's brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bushbaby View Post
                Bro seriously??U do know he just fought Pascal right??
                Pascal moved up to lhw at the end of 2009, Hopkins has been a lhw since mid 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bushbaby View Post
                  Looks like his confidence is brimming.Sounds like the greatest of the currently active fighters,wants to go out with a bang.
                  Yup i believe the ol man is motivated to to become the oldest fighter ever to win a championship and beat these top 175 ponders and go out with a bang and make history at the same time.

Comment

why you hatin IronMike? Hopkins just beat pascal who beat the crap out of dawson.

showing pics of the roy jones fight doesn't do nothing for your case

Comment

Hopkins turns 46 today.

Comment

Working...
                      X