Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm pushing my limits with this question sqealpiggy.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pushing my limits with this question sqealpiggy.

First of all this is not a hateful or e-enemy question, just to be clear.

If a Parent had kids, that they loved very much. Would the parent be completely content that their kids will die one day, knowing they lived a socially acceptable life, with good morals, only for no reason??(no punishment/reward)

Or would they rather believe beyond reason that their little one would be whisked off to a beautiful place because they treated others right???

Question is, Do Atheists see Darkness and Nothingness for their kids? Will their kids beautiful existence be extinguished totally if they die at 3-10 years old. Do you find that acceptable?

Is this world the end for your child?

I really think that kids should be off limits on the forums.

However, I would not mind you or anyone questioning my beliefs and how they relate to my kids.
    Last edited by +JC|Arky+; 10-08-2010, 12:16 AM.

I'm an Atheist.

Comment

Originally posted by +JC|Arky+ View Post

If a Parent had kids, that they loved very much. Would the parent be completely content that their kids will die one day, knowing they lived a socially acceptable life, with good morals, only for no reason??(no punishment/reward)

Or would they rather believe beyond reason that their little one would be whisked off to a beautiful place because they treated others right???

Question is, Do Atheists see Darkness and Nothingness for their kids? Will their kids beautiful existence be extinguished totally if they die at 10 years old. Do you find that acceptable?

However, I would not mind you or anyone questioning my beliefs and how they relate to my kids.
      I was told by a lady, "It doesn't matter if you live your life as a good person and help others. You're still going to hell." If you don't believe in God, of course.

Comment

Question is, Do Atheists see Darkness and Nothingness for their kids? Will their kids beautiful existence be extinguished totally if they die at 3-10 years old. Do you find that acceptable?

Yes. When the brain dies, that's it. Regardless of wether or not I find it "acceptable", it's reality.

Have you ever really considered what an eternal life would be like?

Imagine living for 300 billion years and you are no where nearer to the end.

Imagine living for 700 trillion years and you are no where nearer to the end.

Imagine living for 600 sextillion years and you are STILL no where nearer to the end.

Imagine living for 900 vigintillion years and you are STILL no where nearer to the end.

Can you even imagine these timescales?

Does this really sound so appealling? With eternal life you can NEVER EVER die. What would you have to motivate you? Would everything seem so precious?

Comment

Originally posted by -The Glove- View Post
          I was told by a lady, "It doesn't matter if you live your life as a good person and help others. You're still going to hell." If you don't believe in God, of course.
          Yes, you are 100% correct.

If you don't believe in Allah there is only one place for you.

Don't believe me? Here is the "proof" ...

Koran 9:73 Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their Home.
          Last edited by TheAuthority; 10-08-2010, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
            Yes, you are 100% correct.

If you don't believe in Allah there is only one place for you.

Don't believe me? Here is the "proof" ...

Koran 9:73 Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their Home.
            That isn't proof.

The Koran/Qu'ran is highly plagiarised

Comment

Originally posted by Sir TomJones View Post
              That isn't proof.

The Koran/Qu'ran is highly plagiarised
              Of course it's not proof. I was trying to make a subtle point.

TheGlove wrote (sarcastically???):

Christians (the majority of the religious on here) will assume "TheGlove" is referring to the God of the bible. I was simple trying to highlight that others have different beliefs and that if the Koran is true, Christians will be burning in hell along with us Atheists.

Comment

That's an excellent question and well worthy of an answer.

The first thing I have to get out of the way is that I (for reasons I have expanded upon at length elsewhere) do not believe in gods, the supernatural or any sort of afterlife. Even though I think it would be nice to, for example, see my deceased relatives, or friends after I die it doesn't matter. I just don't think the idea is in any way tenable.

Secondly I don't think that the term "darkness" is entirely appropriate. "nothingness" is far closer to the mark. Much as I don't mourn for the lack of existential awareness of children that I don't yet have, so I don't have concern for where they're "going" after they die.

The thought of a child of mine dying at a young age is a horrible one that frankly I don't countenance, but inventing a fantasy world full of lollipops and sunbeams really wouldn't be much help for me dealing with grief. When we grieve we grieve for who that person was and it's important to keep them alive in your own memory instead of pretending they are "alive" in some sort of magical land.

Now here's the beautiful part: As an atheist I am of the opinion that this is it. No second chances, no big theme park in the sky. As a result it's important to really experience the joy of being alive, to really experience happiness, sadness, love and the awe inspiring majesty of this corner of the universe in which we live. The appeal of parenthood is to share my awe with my daughter, to help her make the first steps in this amazing journey and to really appreciate the world in which she lives and the only life she has.

Religious people have often asked "isn't it miserable to think that this is all there is, doesn't your life lack meaning?" Absolutely not. Living my life is what gives my life meaning, I find meaning in the people I influence and the people who influence me. We're fortunate to live in a place and time of unimaginable plenty. My wife and I have decent jobs, we worry about paying for luxuries, not necessities. We don't have to worry about being eaten or being murdered or starving to death or dying of a plague.

What could be more tragic than wasting the only life you have worrying about what god will do to you after you die, especially given that god is so often described as utterly inscrutable?

Comment

E-ENEMY... ****ing kill yourself... please.

Comment

TS.. life is rough. if you die then you die. it's unfair but life in unfair.
                    because you want something to be a certain way, it doesn't mean it is.
                    it's like saying would you like to get ass raped and punked in prison? or would you like lolli pops and cotton candy? therefor prison must be the sweetest place on earth because that's how things should be.

I know my description is very basic.. but you get the point.

Comment

Working...
                    X